The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
THI

Replacement Srpings

I need to update the springs on my 1978 GMC K25 (3/4-ton 4WD), main concern is the front springs. I currently have the 2-leaf front springs and am looking for a good replacement, but the rating on the replacement 2-leaf is 1,200# and from what I can tell the factory rated their 2-leaf pack at 1,800#. Does anyone have experience with the stock height replacement springs? After over 40 years they are sagging so I need to update, but want make sure I actually have the right capacity. I see the 4-leaf replacement pack is rated at 1,900# and the 3-leaf pack is rated at 1,400#. My experience with the factory 3-leaf pack was it was very stiff unless you had an all iron big block or a plow up front so I am hesitant to go more than the 2-leaf, but do not want to under spring the front.

I want to keep the ride reasonable, but will do some work with the truck - it is a 3/4-ton after all. It will from time to time have to haul a load of firewood, but will most likely be used to take my 14' fishing boat to one of the local boat ramps. I have 55 acres about half wooded and will be used to do some work farm occasionally. Driveline is a mild 400 (with Vortec heads), TH400 with an NP241 t-case, Dana 60 front and 14-bolt rear with 3.73 gears. Please let me know what your experience is with the replacement front springs. Thank you.
THI is offline   Reply With Quote