The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #51
flips72

Re: My 64 C-10 fleetside shortbed build

we have been watching the weather and man yall have been through some rough stuff the last few days, hope everything is good with your family and friends, we have you in our prayers.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #52
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
we have been watching the weather and man yall have been through some rough stuff the last few days, hope everything is good with your family and friends, we have you in our prayers.
ditto...it got pretty rough a little north of here, but we had nothing but wind & sunshine...a tornado also came through the Jackson, MS area where I moved from about a month ago...thoughts & prayers definitely go out to all those affected
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #53
allaboutchevelles

Hey Guys, The weather was so nice here friday so I took 1/2 day vacation and came home. I had my truck pushed out of the shop by 10:30 and started sandblasting on it. I had to do the whole roof including around the back window and also the pass side door jam. I finshed it up and spayed 2 light coats of etch primmer on it and then put 2 coats of nason sealer on it. By the time I finshed and walked into the house it was 6:30. Talking about be worn out, I was ready for bed, lol
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #54
flips72

looks good, i really like your cab cart. speaking of weather we just went threw the same thing yall did a couple weeks ago with the tornandos. very scary, several lives lost mast destruction all around us. remember these families in your prayers.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #55
csa daddy

looks good i was down i pfafftow or something like that the day the came threw didnt even know what was going on till me an my bro came back to va from getting my 64 shortbed fleet
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #56
allaboutchevelles

Hey Guys, I got 2 questions for a good body man. I took the windsheild out of my truck today. You can see the dark green factory color of the truck. When is the best time to put the seam sealer back in the gaps where the panels meet?? I dug all of the origional sealer out and sandblasted then ectch primmed it then put some nason sealer primmer on it. Next question is the wax like stuff around the windsheild gasket, Do I need to put this stuff back on the new gasket when I put my other windshield in??? Thanks, Also included a pic of my mother-in-laws old milk jug she wanted me to paint for her, I guess it came out ok, wish It was in better shape, it had a lot of rust and dents in it.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #57
collins10672

since you have stripped the caulk out and blasted and primed you can put the seam sealer in now,and i am assuming you are talking about around the roof and other areas.as far as the windshield area goes you can clean it down to bare metal and prime that area too.then trim around the windshield with the color you are going to paint the truck before you reinstall the windshield.as far as the sealer around the windshield you should not have to put anything around the rubber unless it leaks after a water test and if it does it is windshield sealer that most of the time is black and it fits a standard size caulking gun.i have had good luck with installing windshields in these trucks and generally since you will probably be using a new gasket you should not have too much of a problem with leaks.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #58
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Here are some pics to were im at now. I fitted the floor support, floor plan and rocker on and then put the fender and door on to see if everything was lining up. everything looks good as long as it doesnt move when I weld it in. Also in the pic you can see the doors I found on craigslist for 200 dollars in very very good shape needing very little work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Nice progress!! I wished that style of inner rocker was available when I did mine. Looks like it's coming along well.
I may stumble across it in my searching, but,
Is that an inner rocker with partial floor pan?
Or is it the whole floor pan trimmed down?

I've considered just buying the whole pan, but mine only has issues similar to the pics here.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035

Last edited by LostMy65; 06-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #59
allaboutchevelles

I finally got some time in the shop for a couple days. I finished welding the pass side patch in the floor and cut off the rotted out cab corner.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #60
allaboutchevelles

well today I went down to the shop and decided to try to flip my cab on its back. I used a chain and the cherry picker. It worked pretty good, I was glad when it was fully flipped. wasnt the funest thing I have ever done. So if I can get some time now I can replace the rear cab support braces.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #61
allaboutchevelles

anyone got know a good way to get old thick undercoating stripped off?? I been using air craft paint remover and a scrapper. any better ideas??
Old 07-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #62
chad64chevy

where did you get those floor panels??? about the undercoating have you tried a heat gun set it on high if it has two settings and a scrapper it might help!! my dad told me that i need to try it, i haven't started on my floors yet but will be when it cools off some, its been way to hot to do anything!! n-e-ways let me know about the panels and if heating it works for you!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #63
structures

On the bottom of the cab I used a sandblaster and it worked, but I spent a lot of time and wasted a lot of sand. On the inside of the bedsides I used a metal scrapper and had good luck. The stuff was so dried out though it came up better than I expected.

1965 Chevy C10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374373

1997 Chevy K2500 6.5 diesel
structures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #64
allaboutchevelles

Hey guys, been real busy working 7 days a week and doing yard work. I havent had much time to work on the truck and when I did Its been too hot. I got the last patch made for the pass side rear floor finished and welded in. I also got the new cab support trimmed and fitting nice, just need to weld it in.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #65
allaboutchevelles

I been experimenting with some rust removal. I bought some grandmas molasses and got an old pan and mixed the molasses 1 part to 10 parts water. Mixed it up good and dropped in some rusty bolts from the battery tray. I let them just sit there and soak for a week and a half. went down to the shop the other night and fished one out and wiped it off with some carb cleaner and a rag and the bolt looked brand new and clean. i coudlnt beleive how good it turned out. check out the pics!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #66
flips72

i must have overlooked your post, and what the heck is grandmas molasses never heard of it before, and where did you get it. looks like it did a good job on the bolt. i will come by next week and get started on your hood,lol.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #67
chad64chevy

so did you try the heat gun and scraper idea?? is so how did it work for you, i still havent done this to mine yet! im wanting for my undercoating to come in
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #68
allaboutchevelles

Im getting closer to welding on my rockers panels!! Im trying to figure out the best thing to put on the inside of the rockers. Im thinking of undercoating them or just put some paint in there. what are you guys using??? I ordered some por15 from eastwood to do my cab floor with and it came in tuesday. I got everything being held togather with sheet metal screws until I pre fit the rockers and make sure everything is lined up right. Guess im going to be flipping the cab again soon.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #69
flips72

i would probably just give two coats of epoxy primer, when i was doing yhe frame on my 72 4x4 i used it in black, it looked just like chassie black and the paint rep said anything i put on top of it would be the weak link that the epoxy would last longer than i would. and your patch panels are nice you definetly have some metal working skills
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #70
Bkndsdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
anyone got know a good way to get old thick undercoating stripped off?? I been using air craft paint remover and a scrapper. any better ideas??
Chevelle, I had my cab blasted by a professional; he used an oxy-acetylene torch and a scraper to remove the undercoating before blasting. I incorporated the same method on my fenders; I used a handheld propane torch and a scraper, and it worked great. Hope this helps.

Nice progress!
Dirty Dan - '80 Short Fleet
Bkndsdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #71
allaboutchevelles

I been working on the truck some , getting ready to weld on both rocker panels. finally got everything lined up as good as its going to get. mounted the doors and got the door gaps right. Pics coming soon. This saturday is the SUPER CHEVY show at rockingham dragway. Ill be heading down there earlly, its been about I guess 12 years since the last super chevy show was at the rock.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #72
flips72

cant wait to see the rockers, wish i was closer to rockingham would love to go to the car show. i been to the rock once but it was the dragstrip not the round track. had a cousin competeing in the north against the south 5.0 shoot out, pretty cool even thoygh it was fords.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #73
allaboutchevelles

Hey flip, You probally already know next weekend is the GOOD GUYS SHOW at the charlotte motor speedway that Im planning on going to also. I have also been to alot of those 5.0 shootouts down at the rock. when me and my buddys we younger we were at the rock every friday night seems like. I use to run my chevelle and my buddy had a 78 Z28. Im a die hard chevy guy but I have had a few 5.0s in the past, just buying them and doing a little TLC and then reselling and making a profit to fund my chevy projects.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #74
allaboutchevelles

Hey guys. I didnt find any parts for my truck at rockingham today, there wasnt even any old trucks like ours. Only one panel that I snapped a pic of while he was leaving. Lots of chevelles down there that I really enjoyed seeing. Best Of all was the 15000hp jet truck that ran 219mph in the quarter. while downloading pics I found a pic I took after cleaning my daily ride thats a 01 silverado. Its sunset orange matallic.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #75
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Nice work Allabout. With how fast your going, you'll be done before all of us.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!