The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Headlight retaining ring screws.....?

What size and thread are the headlight retaining ring screws for a 1972?

I'd like to replace mine with something longer and easier to get started in the holes.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Headlight retaining ring screws.....?

I do not see how that process could work with what I have. In fact, with the short screws mine came with, it looks like removing the headlight buckets, light, and retaining ring as a unit each time would be easier concerning these 1/4" screws.

I haven't replaced anything, my headlight buckets, retaining rings, and even headlghts are what came on the truck and all dad would have replaced would have been the bulbs if/when those burned out.

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-01-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Those screws are #8-32. I used Tractor Supply's screw-into-scale thingie and those are definitely #8-32. At least on my truck those screws are.....may be variation on that depending on assembly factory.

So I bought #8-32 in 3/4 inch length and screwed those in. Two were too long but since I didn't have 1/2 inch versions and didn't want to use a hacksaw, I used two nuts as "washers" since washers wouldn't fit the space.

I'll go back for 1/2 inch machine screws later.

One thing is for sure, the longer screws helped but that is one area the truck could have been better designed. Also, the original screws are tapered, I would love to find 1/2 and 3/4 inch tapered machine screws in #8-32.

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-01-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
1971longbedc10

[QUOTE=In The Ten Ring;8060754]OK, have to correct you Doc, those screws are #8-32, not #6. I used Tractor Supply's screw-into-scale thingie and those are definitely #8-32. At least on my truck those screws are.....may be variation on that depending on assembly factory.

So I bought #8-32 in 3/4 inch length and screwed those in. Two were too long but since I didn't have 1/2 inch versions and didn't want to use a hacksaw, I used two nuts as "washers" since washers wouldn't fit the space.

I'll go back for 1/2 inch machine screws later.

One thing is for sure, the longer screws helped but that is one area the truck could have been better designed. Also, the original screws are tapered, I would love to find 1/2 and 3/4 inch tapered machine screws in #8-32.[/QUOTE

I just wanted to say thanks for the information! I found the #8-32 screws were the exact fit for the headlight rings on my 71. I bought some led headlights off amazon and they sat out far enough that the original screws wouldn’t reach so I got the longer screws from the hardware store and they worked great and saved me from having to do anything to the buckets. Once again thanks for the info guys it saved me a lot of grief and made my installation go smooth!
Posted via Mobile Device
1971longbedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
LS short box

Another helper is a magnetized screw driver. I believe the screws are steel not stainless. Another trick is to take a small piece of tape, poke the screw thru the tape and then stick the tape to the screw driver. Start the screw and then pull the tape away before you tighten the screw.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote