The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
cebra

Rag Joint - How to Determine Size?

I have read every post I can find but still cannot determine my rag joint size. Counting the splines on the input shaft I see 32 not including the "missing" splines on the flat portion. The rag joint itself has 9 splines, I assumed I miscounted and it was a Lares 201 (31 spline but I read you need to include how many splines would be there without the flat spot so mine would be more like 36) but that one had 11 splines on the rag joint itself.

Related question, how do you move the steering shaft that connects to the rag joint back to insert the rag joint. My original one was in ok condition but I snapped it trying to pry the steering shaft back with a ball joint fork. I did drop the column inside the vehicle before hand. Thanks, been struggling with this job for several days now.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Rag Joint - How to Determine Size?

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I don't remember how to adjust it. Perhaps image of the steering column will help.

I'll bet your rag joint looks like this one right? Splines appear to be missing, but if I remember right that'S how they were original. I rebuilt this using a kit scored of Classic Heartbeat. Before and after....
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
cebra

Yeah, that is how mine looks (9 splines as well).
Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I just go by hole size. The small one is 3/4" and the large one is 1". Easiest way is to drop the steering box down to get the rag joint in. If you try to pry the shaft up you are going to break something inside the column.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I just go by hole size. The small one is 3/4" and the large one is 1". Easiest way is to drop the steering box down to get the rag joint in. If you try to pry the shaft up you are going to break something inside the column.

LockDoc
The hole size in the rag joint? I am wondering if I can get that precise with that measurement (3/4" vs 13/16") since they expand/contract. There are also a lot of different spline options depending on the year of the box which I don't know. How are the splines counted (mine has 32 plus the keyway, does this mean it is a 36 spline...have read that somewhere).

Thanks about dropping the box, that is going to add a ton of time but at least I know it is necessary. The Brothers video just shows them dropping the column but that dang thing will not moved even unbolted with the weight of a pry bar on it.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
The hole size in the rag joint? I am wondering if I can get that precise with that measurement (3/4" vs 13/16") since they expand/contract. There are also a lot of different spline options depending on the year of the box which I don't know. How are the splines counted (mine has 32 plus the keyway, does this mean it is a 36 spline...have read that somewhere).

Thanks about dropping the box, that is going to add a ton of time but at least I know it is necessary. The Brothers video just shows them dropping the column but that dang thing will not moved even unbolted with the weight of a pry bar on it.

Sorry, I was thinking about the intermediate shaft splines not the rag joint. cancel that....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

Why not measure the input shaft the rag joint mounts on?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:37 AM   #9
Ironangel

This thread may help, apparently there are two options, a 13/16" worm shaft and a 3/4" worm shaft? At any rate, new rag joints are readily available for about $50 or you can rebuild the one you have for about $10. Read here, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683006 The manual says to remove the steering box to frame bolts and lower the box enough to remove the rag joint.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Why not measure the input shaft the rag joint mounts on?
I can't find any articles on how to measure it. Any advice is appreciated on where to measure since it is not intuitive looking at it in my opinion. I assume bottom of splines but that is pretty difficult as they are so narrow. The middle between splines curves in. I also still don't know how to get the count, is a 32 plus a keyway more like a 36?
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
This thread may help, apparently there are two options, a 13/16" worm shaft and a 3/4" worm shaft? At any rate, new rag joints are readily available for about $50 or you can rebuild the one you have for about $10. Read here, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683006 The manual says to remove the steering box to frame bolts and lower the box enough to remove the rag joint.
Some good information here but basically after reading this I think it is conclusive that you just need to purchase all the rag joints for Saginaw boxes made between 1967 and 1987 and then take back whichever ones do not fit if you don't booger them up too much trying to beat them on (mine has to be hammered on pretty good). There are so many options out there and I went out and recounted and had a buddy recount yesterday and we are always coming up with 32 plus keyway would put us at 37 which doesn't exist.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #12
cebra

Since there really isn't a conclusive method of measuring for the rag joint that I can find, I bought the Dorman 31000 rebuild kit. I snapped the metal part of my rag joint trying to pry the intermediate steering shaft back to insert it so I am going to take it to a buddies shop to plate and weld it back up (I left my welder for my dad to do some work on his truck). This is an awful lot of work but my truck has been sitting for a week and I have done probably 20+ hours of searching the internet with no results. I don't want to buy 10 rag joints for $500 and risk either screwing up my input shaft threads by beating them on or marring up the joints by attempting to beat them on and not being able to return them.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #13
Jrainman

Lares 200.... 3 1/4 OD for 3/4 25 spline input shaft, with flat and 3 1/4 OD steering coupling assembly .......

Lares 201..... for 13/16 31 spline input shaft, with flat 3 1/4 OD steering assembly......

Lares 202.... for 3/4 36 spline full round input shat with 3 1/4 OD coupling pins toward firewall.

this is 67-72 if your gear box is upgraded to the short gear box ratio like from square body c10 it may be 3/4 17 spline with mounting bolt spacing = 2 7/16 and 3 1/2 OD coupling. doorman part number 31011
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #14
Boog
laying low

I suggest measuring the outside diameter of the splines on the input shaft of the sector to get the diameter. I went from a ‘71 power sector to a later ‘75 to ‘85 power sector and had to swap the coupler. Got it from O’Reillys. I don’t remember the parts numbers or the diameter. You can buy the coupler rebuild kit for yours, that would be cheapest and most likely one fits both applications. Or you can buy both rag joints then take the one you don’t need back for a refund.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote