The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Tempest67

Outside Mirrors - which ones to buy

Hi Guys,

I am putting a 51 on a S 10 frame and was wondering what you are all using for outside mirrors. (I did a search and found very little info)

I am looking for a small (4 inch round+/-) mirror for each side, that looks clean, and works well. (not big "truck" mirrors)

I have heard that the "swan necks" shake so much that you can't see anything, and that some passenger side mirrors don't adjust enough to work, unless you shim them.....and , do the "peep" mirrors provide enough of a view?

I am about the assemble the windows in my doors and it would be great to attach the mirrors before all the glass goes in.

Please post pics of your mirrors, where they came from, and any info on what you like, or don't like about your mirrors.

Thanks in advance
Tempest67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Outside Mirrors - which ones to buy

I had the 4" peep mirrors and hated them. couldn't see a thing behind me. Recently I found a pair of 4 X 6 convex mirrors at o'rilley's which I mounted on some short arms I had laying around. They seem to work well, but haven't road tested them yet what with the "virus vacation" stay at home. im afraid of being pulled over driving the truck.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
edgeleycanuck

Thanks for putting this question out there, it is something I have no idea what I want for my truck. Something I would like to hear opinions on as well is rear view cameras. I think the right one might be very helpful with the blind spots our trucks have, anybody using one?
edgeleycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:05 AM   #4
MiraclePieCo

I fabricated a set using 5" convex heads. I have a panel truck, so the blind spot is huge, but I can still see fine with these.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Katrina/10

The stock mirror on my 51 works fine.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Tempest67

nvrdone - thanks for that input, I was afraid of that, I am no longer considering 'Peep" mirrors as an option.

MiraclePie - thanks for the pics, and nice fab work. I was hoping to get something 'off the shelf', and I think the convex would be a good feature. also.......your panel looks really good

anyone else? pics , comments, dos and don'ts,... ?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
51 3600

MiraclePie: How long did you make the arms on your mirrors? Nice work btw.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
NeoJuice

Myself I just used a LMC reproduction chrome arm with a ribbed 5" chrome mirror. Bolted it down with some old bolts I found in my bolt bucket to add to the patina vibe.

As far as I can tell it should work good. I haven't driven the truck yet but sitting in the drivers seat and looking behind me I can see good.
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
Tempest67

NeoJuice, thanks for the info, and pics.

Someone told me that style (long arm) shake so bad at driving speed that you can't see out of them......... I guess you will find out..

Thanks again .......... I like the look
Old 04-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #10
NeoJuice

I had the peep mirrors and they were garbage so I took them off. Depending on the year of truck you have and if you have the window vent (pre-1951 no vent) they might work. But for 51+ the window vent is in the way almost no matter where you put the peep mirror.

My two bits.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #11
Tempest67

I have a 51, so I have the vent windows to consider.

I have seen the peep mirrors at the top of the door frame also......not sure how well they would work.??

Thanks again for your input, I was hoping to find a mirror set (both left and right) to bolt onto the door, just below the 'belt line'. I did find a set, but the reviews said that the passenger side would not 'angle in' enough to work, unless you install a shim

The search continues.......
Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #12
NeoJuice

I had the peep mirrors on both sides. On the drivers side the vent is in the way and you are correct on the passenger side the mirror wont pivot enough to make anything visible. I found this out as well and sold the mirrors on Kijiji for what I could get for them.

That's why I removed them and put on the drivers side stock one and left the passenger side off. If your shoulder checking the passenger side you can see right out the rear window so I figured the passenger side wasn't needed either then for looks.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 PM   #13
mr48chev

Somewhere in one of the sheds I have a box with probably a half dozen peep mirrors tossed in it because I didn't learn a thing with the first one and bought other slightly different ones.

In the mid 70's when I was living in McGregor Tx my buddy Jr Fisher was a mechanic at the Chev garage in town and I was looking for mirrors for the 48 and he says that he had just what I needed that were new take offs from new trucks for 5 bucks each. He got me a pair of 73 to? Chevy C 10 sport mirrors and I have pretty well run them ever since. They look good as long as you aren't shooting for the "traditional" look they don't shake and new from the truck trinket vendors and while not cheap run about 40 each. https://www.classicparts.com/1973-87...ctinfo/58-123/

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:15 AM   #14
vintovka

In the last 50+ years i have had about every type of mirror. The peeps look great but are downright dangerous for me -- Age, declining eyesight and other issues make it worse. I finally went back to OEMs with 4x5". I have a nearly full size panoramic on the Passenger side. This works great.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
Chris(NJ)

I like those rectangular ones on the the lifted truck @vintovka. It "fits". Like most things, I think it depends on the application.

Useless round mirrors here tho.
Attached Images

Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #16
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I like those rectangular ones on the the lifted truck @vintovka. It "fits". Like most things, I think it depends on the application.

Useless round mirrors here tho.

Nice looking truck
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #17
Tempest67

mr48 - thanks for the info, I am hoping to find something just like that, but round.

vintovka - on your truck, a lifted 4x4 , those look great, but I was hoping for something smaller

Chris (NJ) - those are the mirrors that I have found everywhere (Round Swan Neck) but I have been told they shake so bad when moving, that they are useless....and I am afraid that walking around the truck in the garage, I will be bumping into them.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
Chris(NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
Nice looking truck
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
mr48 - thanks for the info, I am hoping to find something just like that, but round.

vintovka - on your truck, a lifted 4x4 , those look great, but I was hoping for something smaller

Chris (NJ) - those are the mirrors that I have found everywhere (Round Swan Neck) but I have been told they shake so bad when moving, that they are useless....and I am afraid that walking around the truck in the garage, I will be bumping into them.

Yea, they do vibrate but I wouldn't say they're useless for that reason. I'd just prefer a higher quality glass in them. Next time I'm driving the truck I'll try to get a quick video of them for ya. The reason I stick with them is because I like the aesthetics of them above all else for my particular application.
Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
jweb

If you're looking for mirrors like Mr48's but round. I have used early Mustang mirrors on several projects. I have never tried them on an AD truck but they should give you what you're looking for.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/exterior...waAqiqEALw_wcB
Attached Images

1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #20
Tempest67

They look good, thanks. I will check them out.

I find that the top of the door panels on 60's cars had a level/horizontal body style that was good for mounting mirrors, where the AD trucks are almost a straight vertical drop, so it makes mounting a mirror difficult.

Thanks again for the suggestion
Old 04-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #21
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post

Yes the large mirrors are a must even with a 4" lift and 5 window cab. Very first trip with the peeps, i absolutely couldn't see cars on my right. On my left the vent window interfers with both the view and the vent operation. The clamp on peeps also vibrated badly as well. Seems all ADs are set up for L&R OEM mirrors and easily to install. Those engineers back then knew what they were doing. If considering the large mirrors like mine you may have to add a 1 to 1.5" extension to the OEM left bracket to get clearnce/view you want. ick your mirrors carefully as one of mine has steel backing screws that have begun to rust. Mine does not vibrate BTW.

My shrinking stature also makes the larger mirrors more important. Even had to ad an extension to the rear view mirror to see well behind me. My shaded slider window may have been a mistake as well but too late now. There are some mod pics on the link below if interested.

I think whatever you choose a panoramic mirror on the right is best. I see almost all new cars have one for this reason. Might look ugly but a wreck is really ugly!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #22
mr48chev

Something like these might work for round mirrors that don't have long stalks https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Impa...UAAOSwx6pYrur4

I'm not sure if the brackets will work on AD truck doors but the 60/65 mirrors have a real truck look to them. Means drilling a bunch of holes though an they might be a tad hard to mount on an AD https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-T...sAAOSw8U9cVPFs

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #23
mr48chev

The replacement doors I got for my 71 GMC are 67/69 doors with the holes for the long stalk mirrors and I am going to buy the chrome 67/69 brackets and run square aftermarket mirrors on mine. I don't like the mirrors I have and still need to tow my car trailer and my Bayliner with it.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #24
Tempest67

vintovka - thanks for the info, no one seems to like the Peeps, and they all say they regret buying them. .... so they are definitely off my list. and you are right, a convex mirror on the pass. side would be great.

mr48 - those Chevelle/Impala mirrors would be fine, I am just worried about the mounting angle on an AD....if they can mount like the pic you posted of that purple chopped AD (I think that is the same truck as your red one?) that would be great. You are right, the 60 - 65 mirrors do look 'truck like' , and I am trying to go for a more streamline look. (if that makes sense)

Thanks for all your help guys, I have some shopping to do and some decisions to make.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #25
mr48chev

Depending on how big of a hurry you are in the Chevy car trinket guys who sell impala or Chevelle parts usually have those mirrors at the shows. The heads swival so you can square up the mirror and bowtie if you run the ones with bowties or with the ones they sell without the bowtie you have a bit more leeway as far as moving them around and adjusting. I was thinking about switching to those on my 48 at one time. Yep purple primer one is the red one. I used to have my buddy mix up a gallon of purple primer with his choice of the mix once a year and redo the primer just before the big local show to wheel in with fresh primer. That photo was taken at the Run to Roslyn in Roslyn Wa that friends of mine started and I attended for about 24 years straight.