The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
White halftrack

Rear bumper v43 rpo bracket question

Went to a swap meet today looking for a rear bumper for my 1987 crew and found one I am pretty sure. Guy says it was pulled off a truck and put in the shed a long time ago. I got it for 25 and was pretty thrilled to get it. My rpo code shows I should have a painted rear bumper v43.

My question is what do the brackets look like and where can they be bought? I did a google search and found many odd brackets but none that looked right. The bad bumper I have on there now has brackets that don’t look like a match.

Any help appreciated. I will get a rear shot of the bumper shortly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

White halftrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
White halftrack

Here is the back of the bumper
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Wgesnerjr

Re: Rear bumper v43 rpo bracket question

stock step bumpers and aftermarket ones have different mounting brackets. do yo know if this is a GM one or not? Did the seller indicate either way?
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
74CustomK20

My step bumper before I scrapped it just had 1/8" thick plates on either sides with just holes drilled in it to match the frame mounts.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Dead Parrot

Just checked the SPID on my 75. It also has a V43 bumper code. It had a painted bumper similar to OPs but no tread plate on top and a plain flat back surface. It did have as a welded on part of the bumper, the two mounting plates to mate to the frame rails. Replaced with a heavier bumper. IIRC, I posted the old one up on the forum as a 'free to take' but got no interest so left on curb for trash day. There might be a pic of the old one if the OP's google fu is strong. Might show how the mounting plates were attached. Too many years ago, don't remember for sure.

That one is probably an aftermarket that had various mounting options depending on application.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Wgesnerjr

Here is a pic of the brackets from my factory V42 original rear step bumper. It utilized the chrome bumper bolts through the face, unlike the replacement I got through LMC. That alone might tell if it's an original or replacement.

LMC did say that the original brackets would not work on the replacement, and they didn't. So you may need the aftermarket bracket set from them to mount this one.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project

Last edited by Wgesnerjr; 09-24-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
White halftrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
Here is a pic of the brackets from my factory V42 original rear step bumper. It utilized the chrome bumper bolts through the face, unlike the replacement I got through LMC. That alone might tell if it's an original or replacement.

LMC did say that the original brackets would not work on the replacement, and they didn't. So you may need the aftermarket bracket set from them to mount this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
White halftrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by White halftrack View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zq61IB1VEcM/TzHv9R9bb_I/AAAAAAAAAMI/_cjG7iqlfpQ/s640/sc0224c6a7.jpg

That is the one I was looking at. I think it is oem or at least hope so. I like things original as I can even found an original scan seek stereo cassette. Thanks for thehelp. That pic was perfect on the mountain s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
White halftrack

Quote:

That pic of brackets is dead on. Thank you for posting.
I have now found all brackets except the C brackets in the pic. I tried posting a wanted but it says I am not authorized. Anyone have the pair of these.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
White halftrack

Quote:

What is interesting is that it looks like the chrom bumpers have an additional brace on outside edge of bumper but the painted does not
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
Dead Parrot

Found the give a way post with the bumper pic: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=635617
Sadly, didn't include an angle for the frame brackets. But they were basically vertical flat plates spaced to fit the frame and welded to the bumper.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:17 AM   #12
82Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by White halftrack View Post
Went to a swap meet today looking for a rear bumper for my 1987 crew and found one I am pretty sure. Guy says it was pulled off a truck and put in the shed a long time ago. I got it for 25 and was pretty thrilled to get it. My rpo code shows I should have a painted rear bumper v43.

My question is what do the brackets look like and where can they be bought? I did a google search and found many odd brackets but none that looked right. The bad bumper I have on there now has brackets that don’t look like a match.

Any help appreciated. I will get a rear shot of the bumper shortly.
Posted via Mobile Device
is that Chrome or painted. I cannot tell the picture... None the less I have what I believe to be a factory painted rear step bumper on my 1982 K10 I've only seen 3 other images online, 2 like mine and 1 the same... Since mine has brackets going to the bumper instead of the frame.

where can i find more info on this factory option? especially the RRO Codes for 1981+ ?
82Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
65chevysub

Looks like the same bumper I have. It was in the bed when I bought the truck so assumed it was the original, and it is.
Attached Images

65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #14
82Diesel

Here's my bumper i found local-ish to me i looked 7 months, it's the V43 Option as well with the Sideways out Support brackets paid $100 and got a Rust free set of Genuine inner fenders!!

Its a Painted Step bumper (Argent Silver)
Attached Images

82Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote