The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 AM   #1
Vicente Aceves

1973 Cheyenne 20 454 value question

I'm considering this 73 3/4 ton pickup. The current owner bought it in 1975 and used it to tow his boat now and then. It has 62k miles on the original big block. The owner told me his son ran the motor without oil and it seized up.

The truck has been parked indoors for 15 years. It has no rust except for surface rust in the bed and some scratches. The interior is pretty clean also.

The owner wants $500 for it, but I checked with the DMV and it has back fees. The DMV told me that it would cost $1,000 to pay the fees and get it registered current in my name.

I can go through the gas lines and brakes and replace the tires which wouldn't be a huge cost, but the motor seems to be the big expense besides the DMV stuff. I can pull the motor and have it rebuilt. I'm just wondering if it is worth the cost for this truck.

I spoke to a man that quoted me $1,100 to rebuild the motor. I pull the motor and take it to him. Maybe there are some Southern California members that know the business called Hal John in Long Beach. It's been around for awhile.

Would this be more trouble than what it's worth for what I'd end up with? Thanks guys. Vinnie

**moderator please remove if this can't be listed in this forum**
Vicente Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote