The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
big_moss

Gettin close

Im getting close to my 51 build being complete dropped it off sunday for metal work and paint and body with that said still got quit a few things on the list im needing to loacate the truck is bagged and body dropped on a s10 frame.
can anyone help me with a tilt steering column, steering shaft/ knuckles needed , and a frame mounted hydro boost set up part numbers thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Gettin close

do you have the engine in? its easier to set up steering when you can see whats going to interfere. it also helps to see how much column "stickout" you can have from the firewall.

on my 4.3 trucks I keep the cast manifolds, its essentially a small block minus two cylinders, and I offset 1" to the passenger side like factory. I am able to run a standard u-joint on the column, a straight shaft, and a standard u joint at the box (no rag joint)

unfortunately there is no "slot a tab b" kind of formula, when you put together a truck like this. I use borgeson u joints and shafts, I feel like being cheap on steering is a pretty dumb way to die. so on my column it has a 1" DD at the bottom so I use a 1"DD to 1"DD there, then a 1"DD to 3/4" DD borgeson telescoping shaft, then a 3/4"DD to 30 spline (GM standard) at the box. if you didnt want to use the telescoping shaft, you can use a 1"DD to 3/4"DD at the column and then a 3/4"DD shaft that you cut to length. I use a jegs or afco shaft when I do this, its still a quality piece.

depending on the year of your steering box there may be a "tit" at the splined gear on the box, you will have to cut it off, it might interfere with the u joint.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
big_moss

Re: Gettin close

yeah definetly not gonna cheap out when it come to anything steering