The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Mains52

Does anybody use small block chevy's anymore?

I was just at GOODGUYS in Des Moines and seen more LS swaps than classic small block swaps. I have a 5.3 out of an 02 tahoe for my build but have been really contemplating putting it on the back burner and going with a classic 383 and getting this thing on the road faster. Thoughts? T.I.A
Mains52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
evilokc

Re: Does anybody use small block chevy's anymore?

the Ls is a great motor. people always want the newest best thing. I don't think the sbc will ever really go away. its to easy. I have a sbc in mine and im pretty happy with it

Last edited by evilokc; 07-20-2019 at 08:44 PM.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Mains52

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
th els is a great motor. people always want the newest best thing. I don't think the sbc will ever really go away. its to easy. I have a sbc in mine and im pretty happy with it
Cool, My dad just gave me a goodwrench 350 for free after I posted this. Im eager to see what people think.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

It's all in what you want...not what every body else does...
I used to swear I would never have a modern electronically controlled engine...
I saw the light, I guess you could say, and now I wouldnt want anything else...
I just wish they had built a true LS inline 6....I guess the trailblazer 6 would be close....
A free engine would be hard to not use though...

But a smallblock is getting hard to sell...I had a buddy that had a good one I think he finally sold for 250..just to get rid of it....I've also got one and I've had no luck selling either...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Mains52

The small block is really just to get it on the road quicker. It will give me time to have fun in the truck and rebuild the ls like I want.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Getter-Done

I am still a (Big) Small Block Chevy Guy.
They are my Favorite.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mains52 View Post
I was just at GOODGUYS in Des Moines and seen more LS swaps than classic small block swaps. I have a 5.3 out of an 02 tahoe for my build but have been really contemplating putting it on the back burner and going with a classic 383 and getting this thing on the road faster. Thoughts? T.I.A
just my .02 worth, but all the LS swaps are perpetuated on the gearhead shows. For me, I run a BBC and SBC with carbsand for years I've not had any issues. So many LS swaps it's the thing to do", in my opinion. I'll take the SBC all day long.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Stormin08

not your model, but i just swapped a new SBC in to my 89...it started as simple swap and mild dress up, little did i now that i would have enough in it now that i should have LS swapped it.

i budgeted around 3500 and like everything else, just swapped everything...now close to 6500.
Attached Images

Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
Mains52

Dang that's a nice looking motor STORMIN. This SBC isn't getting anything but a carb, intake, and headers. I've only got 500 in my ls so far but I have yet to spend the money on the rebuild kit also. My 350 came from an 89 4x4 but the last owner had swapped in the crate motor so its not original. It will match perfectly to my 4l80e also. I feel as if the sbc is the way to go to get this thing on the road quicker. at this point.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
paulspickupparts

Nothing wrong with a good old sbc but has really went out of style with the ls craze. Depends what you are trying to do. You can stick a lot of many in either one. SBC are very easy to work on . If your mechanical ablility is limited then the sbc . If you have some skills the ls might be a better choice. Fuel systems on the ls systems get a little spendy . Both are good , just need to figure out what fits your circumstance better.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
1project2many

Lack of factory EFI choices is a big driver behind smallblocks disappearing. I grabbed Vortec heads for my Chevelle back in '97, long before they became the next hottest craze. Mildly modified Vortec heads are good for 400 hp. But it took a *lot* of searching to find an OEM style EFI system to bolt on top that wasn't limited to 340ish hp and didn't cost an arm and leg. Most folks who choose sbc for a project today either use TBI and stick to the roughly 300 hp limit or they go carb which is kind of expensive and sometimes feels like a walk into the past. The LS package is easy to get 350-450 hp out of without ditching factory components. And the aftermarket is pregnant with LS goodies so why not?

All of my V8 vehicles have SBC's. I have a '99 Suburban waiting for a 302 SBC that I removed from my last Suburban. I have the '57 which also has a 302 which I built in '93. And I have parts here for a fun SBC to install in the Chevelle when I start working on it. I have a new Vortec 5.7 engine which had about 15k miles when removed. I have Honda rods and matching pistons from a dirt track engine. I have a set of 2.02/1.60 valves. I have a full set of 1.6 roller rockers. I have a copy of an older Lingenfelter roller cam which was in an engine dynoed at 465 hp. And I have three EFI systems from marine applications which promise to do a great job on top. The only thing I'm looking for is a smokin deal on parts for a 396 SBC so the SS badges on the side of the fender will have the correct displacement.

So what's this LS you speak of?

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-17-2019 at 10:17 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #12
59chev

I'm using a vintage 327 in my build. I like the simplicity and the old school looks that fits with my build theme.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59chev View Post
I'm using a vintage 327 in my build. I like the simplicity and the old school looks that fits with my build theme.
I've seen enough "Check Engine" lights to last a lifetime. Add in the fact that it can't be fixed with a roadside repair, but requires the services of a technician with a battery of diagnostic equipment and you'll see why I prefer the old carbureted engines. Now factor in FAR LESS WIRING with an SBC and you have a more reliable engine that can be tuned and repaired by an average Joe with minimal tools.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
_Ogre

it's been a good one
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
72bowtiestepper

If your truck is a everyday driver or you put a lot of miles on it every year, then I would say a LS swap would be totally worth the money & effort. If you swap engines just to be "cool" or have tons of money to spend switching, thats OK too, but the Small Block platform is a proven, reliable way to go...cheap & dependable. My trucks & cars are not driven enough to justify going LS...they will stay small & big blocks as long as I own them.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #16
paulspickupparts

X2^ Well said. I am building a 406 (400 sbc 30 over) . I had a 10 year collection of very nice performance parts. It will be a similiar build to 1 project2many . About 450 horses (hopefully) . At one point in time I decided to try to sell the 400 virgin block and go LS . It has never been bored, has been baked,boiled and magged . A nice starting point . I could not give it away . I finally ended up putting all my parts together in the engine build. I will used them up rather than give them away . I could not give them away.

Another reason is as stated above I do not drive the truck a thousand miles a year. So no real reason to go LS . If it were a daily driver I might re think that.

Best part is I can do most of it myself.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #17
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Everyone is forgetting the aesthetics. LS motors are UGLY. That's why there's so many aftermarket parts to dress them up into looking like - you guessed it - a small block Chevy!
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #18
mick53

I'm going with the classic inline 292 for my 53 3100. The real one is much prettier.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #19
Mains52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I'm going with the classic inline 292 for my 53 3100. The real one is much prettier.
Holy Cow. That thing is going to scoot.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #20
crossfire84

Yea I'm tired of the LS swaps in every thing, A great motor for sure but I'm a BBC guy for life. I love my 396 motors they run forever tons of torque just my $.02
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
Yea I'm tired of the LS swaps in every thing, A great motor for sure but I'm a BBC guy for life. I love my 396 motors they run forever tons of torque just my $.02
I would take a BBC over a LS any day but I'm old school. my $.02.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #22
Wrenchbender Ret

This same transition went on years ago when the SBC started replacing the flat head Ford. I stuck with flatheads for a long time & finally changed over. You got as much power out of a stock SBC as you did a full house flathead Ford. I am going to stick with the SBC because that's what I know. I am too old to learn new stuff. Those old flatheads were still the best looking engines with finned aluminum heads & 2-3 97's on it.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #23
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
This same transition went on years ago when the SBC started replacing the flat head Ford. I stuck with flatheads for a long time & finally changed over. You got as much power out of a stock SBC as you did a full house flathead Ford. I am going to stick with the SBC because that's what I know. I am too old to learn new stuff. Those old flatheads were still the best looking engines with finned aluminum heads & 2-3 97's on it.
George
Those old flatty's sure sounded good wound up too !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #24
big_moss

im having a pretty mean little 383 built for my 51 currently assembly starts next week
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #25
RyanPartridge

Nothin’ fancy or pretty....but this 283 in my daily driver gets it done.
Attached Images

RyanPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote