The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
gigamanx

Seat frame removal. How is it connected?

Quick question while I'm tooling in the garage. How does the seat frame that is mounted to the floor attached? Is it welded or are there hidden screws I'm missing? I have the seat and upper frame out. Just trying to remove the lower frame that has the sliders on it so I have a flat floor.

Thanks!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride

Last edited by gigamanx; 07-22-2019 at 10:09 AM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Seat frame removal. How is it connected?

Are you referring to the seat riser?...mines welded in
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 07-21-2019 at 04:54 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Or this?
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
joedoh

bare floor... as in flat floor? mongos help will get the bottom of the seat frame out, but the riser will still be spot welded to the floor. if thats what you are after there ya go.

to get the riser out you can use a spot weld remover on the flange that is bent and welded to the floor. what I normally do though is use a long bimetal sawzall blade and cut it off flush, or close to flush, and anything that isnt flush I pound flat, job done. I start the cut in the front corners and pull back to the rear brace, then across the front, then down at the rear brace. the sliders bolt to the rear brace with two nuts, and then you can just slide it all out. dont take out the rear brace if you can avoid it, its a nice stiffener and doesnt get in the way of new seat sliders.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
bare floor... as in flat floor? mongos help will get the bottom of the seat frame out, but the riser will still be spot welded to the floor. if thats what you are after there ya go.

to get the riser out you can use a spot weld remover on the flange that is bent and welded to the floor. what I normally do though is use a long bimetal sawzall blade and cut it off flush, or close to flush, and anything that isnt flush I pound flat, job done. I start the cut in the front corners and pull back to the rear brace, then across the front, then down at the rear brace. the sliders bolt to the rear brace with two nuts, and then you can just slide it all out. dont take out the rear brace if you can avoid it, its a nice stiffener and doesnt get in the way of new seat sliders.
I think you guys have the right idea after pondering it last night...The circled item is what I'm trying to remove so I can start working on new seat mounts for my F150 donor seat.

This is with a flat floor and I seem to see a lot of pictures of those. Maybe people are replacing their floor panels and I thought it was easier.

I'm afraid of trying to drill out spot welds and drilling through the floor since my floor is pretty solid. May try the sawzall suggestion or get a cut off wheel in there

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 07-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
joedoh

a sawzall works fine, should take about 3-4 minutes. if you are like me it takes longer to find a good blade than it does to cut it.

on one truck the floor was pretty wasted, I needed a lot of repair, and that had compromised the spot welds too, I was able to pop them with a screwdriver. still had to cut at the rear wall but worked.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
edgeleycanuck

I'm a bit challenged using my phone to post a picture so I'll try to put in words what I used.
Picture a flat lawnmower blade(I have an old leaf spring, ground to a knife edge). Sharpen the one edge with a long taper, it will slide under the riser where there are no welds and then just strike the backside of the blade. It worked quite well. Just a thought.
On another note, I think that riser is also there to support the floor, so I think, and I'm interested in what others think, one should provide some form of support across the floor approximately where the front edge of the riser was.
edgeleycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeleycanuck View Post
I'm a bit challenged using my phone to post a picture so I'll try to put in words what I used.
Picture a flat lawnmower blade(I have an old leaf spring, ground to a knife edge). Sharpen the one edge with a long taper, it will slide under the riser where there are no welds and then just strike the backside of the blade. It worked quite well. Just a thought.
On another note, I think that riser is also there to support the floor, so I think, and I'm interested in what others think, one should provide some form of support across the floor approximately where the front edge of the riser was.
Good thinking. I actually have a nice big metal chisel just for this sort of thing. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Should be able to semi-drill the welds and then use the chisel.

I don't have a sawzall. Someday I should probably invest in one.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
Tempest67

I removed the seat frame from mine to replace the floor, and when I was done, I needed to add another cross brace to keep the new floor from flexing.
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
gigamanx

Took all your advice. Was a much easier job than expected. I used a large steel chisel and just pried along the spot welds to pull it out. To keep the rear support as JoeDoh suggested, I used a cut off wheel and just made a cut right between the side supports and rear support. Popped right out

Thanks for the tips all!