The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #26
Chris(NJ)

Re: Chris(NJ)'s, where am I going with this, already built build

Did the gasket tonight. I didn't have to drop the tank, so that was nice. Took out the 5 screws and realized I was pretty close. So I wound up unbolting the driver side mounting bolts for the tank which dropped it enough that I was able to get the sending unit out far enough to get the new gasket over the top. I'm sure there must be some junk floating in the tank. Even as I carefully took out the broken pieces of gasket, there was not nearly enough to re-create a full gasket. Anyway, simple fix. Took me an hour. The majority of the time spent figuring out the stupid bolt hole configuration was oriented correctly.

Now I need to find out why the truck is running so poorly all of a sudden. About a month ago I started getting horrible gas mileage (Holley 600 carb). Like 8mpg, mixed driving. Now it's dying out on me too after a cold start and once I put it in gear. When it's warmed up and I come to a stop, it stumbles like crazy but doesnt die. And it also has a serious dead spot coming off idle. When I give it gas, it takes a couple seconds to kick in.
I don't know how you guys do it with carbs...it's driving me nuts lol. I want to go to an FI motor w/ an ecu that tells me whats wrong when it's not running right
Attached Images

Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #27
joedoh

I had one run like that and there was a fly wing (literally a wing from a fly, no other fly parts) in the main jet. it got so bad it would only run on the secondary!

lesson learned, when running poorly, rebuild carb. sometimes rebuild it twice! and when you think about it rebuild it again. because you cant ever be TOO nostalgic about running a carb! think of the gas smells and all the rebuilding!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #28
Chris(NJ)

Put the truck on some scales today. I believed QA1's numbers but I wanted to see where my truck, specifically, was weighing in at.

Weight w/o Driver and 3/4 tank gas: 3,256

LF=908, RF=972
LR=718, RR=658

Left: 49.9%
Rear: 42.2%
Cross: 51.9%

Weight w 185lb driver and 3/4 tank gas= 3,442

LF: 1005, RF: 973
LR: 770, RR: 694

Left: 51.4%
Rear: 42.4%

Cross: 50.5%
Old 07-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #29
nvrdone

if you messed with the sending unit in the tank and couldnt find all of the gasket, did you ever think that parts of the gasket are plugging the fuel pickup? poor running seems to happen after you messed with the tank. It may be time to drop the tank & see whats inside. you might try blowing compressed air back from the carb thru the fuel line to see if that improves things. just thinking ....
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:58 PM   #30
Chris(NJ)

Thank @nvrdone, that thought has certainly crossed my mind and I'm not ruling it out. Looking down into the tank through the filler neck, the bottom of the tank is clean. I don't see any debris. That's not to say that there isnt some debris on the other side of the baffles. But the sending unit is on the opposite side of the fuel pickup, so I'd imagine that I'd see some junk floating around in the center of the tank since it'd have to cross over that area first before getting to the fuel pickup.
The crappy running started about two months ago though. It started off running super rich. I was getting about 7.5mpg lol. Then it morphed into the stalling and dead spot off idle.
Turns out the bowl was totally corroded. I'm going to work on replacing the rubber fuel line w/ something like a Russel (or similar) line. In the meantime, I've added some SeaFoam to the tank to help maybe clean some things up a bit. I'll run that through the next few tanks while I brainstorm on the new fuel line setup.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:12 AM   #31
Chris(NJ)

Hey guys,....wondering what you think the market is currently at for this truck. I'm considering selling and going back to a modern sports car for a while. Only thing wrong right now is a leaky steering rack.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:13 AM   #32
nvrdone

check out bring a trailer in the truck section. there are a few AD's for sale. should give you an idea.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #33
Chris(NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
check out bring a trailer in the truck section. there are a few AD's for sale. should give you an idea.
Yea, I might even list it there. Not sure if I want to try CL/FB and forums first or go right to BaT
Old 03-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #34
Chris(NJ)

Well, I sold the truck to a local guy in state.

Cleaning out the garage today, I found a few things I wont be needing any more if anyone is interested.

LS Fab hood struts. Installed once to test fitment, but removed and never reinstalled before selling. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2747842590053/

Set of 8 spark plugs
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3118992921881/

Summit racing HEI kit.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8587029306478/