The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
burbluv

Please tell me I got the right spotlight

OK so I got my packages all delivered and unpacked. Hoping this will all work for my 1962 Suburban. Everything looks really good, mechanically sound and really crisp and clean but I am hoping the brackets will work.
In my package I got the light with the GM logo with internal bracket, an extra separate bulb and a 31 outside bracket with gasket and the needed extras. I told the guy to make sure to send me a 31L so he followed up another package with a 2nd one that is titled 31L which included the gasket and does look different than the first.
My question is do I want the 31 or 31L and does my internal bracket look right? The photo with the small manila bags are for the 31 and the photo with the grey Unity box is the 31L.
Thanks,
AJ
Attached Images

burbluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Please tell me I got the right spotlight

Sorry I can't help with the application, but that is gonna look way cool!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

First of all the overall spotlight looks to be in beautiful condition. It has the early style lamp housing with the script around the topknot crest, the early handle housing has the vintage wire clamp, and it carries the special short Chevrolet grip. The bulb appears to be a newer halogen item, having no metal shield over the filament. I actually prefer this bulb as it is considerably brighter than the early bulb.

The bracket shown in the bottom photo is the universal item specified for the 60-63 application. The standard outside template probably won’t with this bracket, as the template is designed for the 141 outside bracket and the mounting screw holes will be in the wrong place.

Post # 13 on the following thread shows a 60-63 installation with this 31L bracket.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=401449

I actually like the position this mounts the lamp head a little better than how the 141 works. 141’s mount the shaft almost level with the ground, while the 31L points the shaft slightly uphill on the outside of the truck. This allows the head to be turned a little more towards the windshield, providing a more conventional look in the parked position.

This custom inside bracket will “probably” fit just fine, and is correct for the driver side with the set screw on the bottom. But since the 31L head points the shaft uphill outside, the inside bracket may or may not fit flush against the inside panel. Once the outside bracket is attached and the main hole drilled, insert the spotlight/shaft and position the inside bracket over the shaft. Make sure it fits flush against the panel correctly before drilling the inside bracket holes for the mounting screws. If everything aligns, drill the holes and install. If you use the custom bracket, no other parts go on the shaft, just the handle..

If it doesn’t align, use the universal inside bracket instead. The order of assembly for the universal inside bracket is:

The tapered rubber bushing shown on the far right of your 4th photo goes on first, against the painted surface. The chrome wire retainer (if you want one) goes on next. The wire into the panel is so short I wouldn’t bother with the wire clamp. The inside bracket – which is actually a ring clamp goes on last. It is the small ring object with the set screw shown in your 3rd photo, to the right of the custom bracket. The handle goes on next.

I’m not sure the other outside bracket you have can be used on a 60-63 truck, because it mounts the spotlight shaft at such a straight angle, the shaft of the spotlight would be pointing at a steep angle towards the floor of the truck. The inside would come out so far down on the inside panel the spotlight shaft would probably be too short to attach the handle, and would be difficult and perhaps awkward to manipulate. This style of bracket is normally used on a vehicle with a non-wraparound windshield and conventional windshield post.

Good luck with your project!

Another note – use caution if you decide to try this template:

Based on the outside position of the bracket on Revoh’s truck, the inside bracket is well forward on the side panel. The above template indicates the outside bracket should be moved even farther forward. This would seem to move the inside handle so close to the dash it would interfere with the light switch. Rather than the old adage “measure twice cut once” spotlight installs are more like “measure twenty times, drill once”.

Last edited by markeb01; 01-29-2012 at 02:28 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
z28pops

How much did you pay for that? I got one off a 64 truck not quite as good of shape. Was wondering how much they are worth?
z28pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Value is really dependent on condition. Most used Unity spotlights in average condition are worth between $25-$75. I’ve purchased one in mint condition for $25, and another for over $100 that claimed to be in mint condition but wasn’t. Many are only good for parts. The cast parts are prone to pitting, and the lamp shells frequently have pits, dents, or worn out plating. Original grease can also solidify hard enough to break internal parts.

And Unity still sells spotlights for most vintage applications costing around $240, so that’s pretty much the upper spending limit on used spotlights, unless an extremely rare and highly desirable bracket is included which is no longer available.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
burbluv

Hey z28pops I sent you a PM with what I paid.
Posted via Mobile Device
burbluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

burbluv there's a tapered rubber wedge required with #31 bracket to angle the bracket correctly to the cowl. I could measure mine to give you a rough estimate. By the way the hubcaps are on their way.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
jbgroby

I have the 60--63 curved windshield and have awebshots album on the drilling of the mount holes. if you care to look.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote