The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Old Bleu

Re: What are these holes in my Suburban door for?

RoyL, I have the same problem on my driver side door. Someone bondo'd the original holes and mounted a car mirror farther back. The good new is that the original holes are still visible through the finish, so I hope that I can use a small drill bit to drill through the bondo and then run a tap through the holes to clean them out. The passenger side has never had a mirror mounted, but does have the backing plate. I think I will try your center punch trick on that side since I have a small spring loaded center punch. Of course then I have to fill the car mirror holes...
Old Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
RoyL, I have the same problem on my driver side door. Someone bondo'd the original holes and mounted a car mirror farther back. The good new is that the original holes are still visible through the finish, so I hope that I can use a small drill bit to drill through the bondo and then run a tap through the holes to clean them out. The passenger side has never had a mirror mounted, but does have the backing plate. I think I will try your center punch trick on that side since I have a small spring loaded center punch. Of course then I have to fill the car mirror holes...
I got the driver's side done after making a template with tape using a buddy's GMC. Used a tap as you said to clean out the bondo. It turns out that the orig holes had been welded up not bondo'd, so I believe my center punch mark wasn't able to show thru to the outside due to the extra weld material...

I used a 5" center punch, would be better to use a shorter one, you need long skinny arms to reach the 2 closest backing plate holes, unless you have the glass out...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #28
RoyL

Added diagram. This will get you close (I measured 3 different doors and none were the same, so I show the range). The door edge and body line are not straight, so hard to get good measurements … is best to locate holes from the mirror backing plate inside the door (if your truck has one).

Last edited by RoyL; 09-11-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: linky no worky
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote