The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
burbluv

HELP! Anyone online with Unity Spotlight knowledge?

Looking to see if the one I am hoping to pick up will work on my 62 Chevrolet K10 Suburban. I have an email out to a few guys for confirmation but just missed them.
Any help would be great!
Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320824894052...84.m1423.l2649

Thanks,
AJ
burbluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: HELP! Anyone online with Unity Spotlight knowledge?

It "may" work, but is not an exact match. The correct outside bracket is part #141 and the one pictured is not a 141. It appears to be the bracket for a 55-57 Chevy truck, and a variety of other vehicles. The inside bracket seems similar to the 8205 designed for the 60-63 trucks, but it appears to be longer and a smoother shape. It does have the correct short GM handle and early handle housing. For installation with the factory brackets, the assembled length of the main shaft is critical, and should be 12” from the center of the lamp head to the center of the handle grip. You might get away with ½” shorter or longer, but any shorter and the handle may bottom out against the inside body panel. Any longer and the handle may interfere with the turn signal or steering wheel. There might be more clearance with a stock steering wheel, since I’m running a 14” steering wheel with a shallow dish.

It is possible to mount the lamp with different brackets (I’ve done it several times on different vintage cars), but you’ll be on your own figuring out where to drill the rather large hole that may or may not come out inside the cab where you want it. And doing a custom install may alter the length needed to fit correctly.

It’s disappointing the photos on the listing are so small it’s very difficult to assess the condition of the lamp. It may be great or mediocre. Any other questions ask away.

Pictures of the various brackets can be viewed on this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=401449
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
burbluv

Thanks so much Mark! Let's hope for great.
I just ordered it and as soon as it gets here I will take better pictures and some measurements that hopefully we can work through together.
Thanks again for the help and knowledge.
AJ
Posted via Mobile Device
burbluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

By the way it does appear to be a "vintage" spotlight. It has the early head shell with the topknot emblem. Later lamps have a smooth flat plate attached with rivets. It also has the correct/special "GM shorty" handle. This has not only a unique plastic grip but a shorter than standard spindle mechanism inside. The handle housing (the chrome part above the grip is also the early style with the wire retaining clamp. Later housings eliminated the screw on clamp.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote