The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2020, 12:23 AM   #1
59chev

Question Removing grinding dust without scratching?

Hey guys,

Any tips on removing grinding dust from my glass and powdercoated wheels without scratching everything up?

What works? Compressed air? Windex and a cloth? Pressure washer?

I've got a thick layer of grinding dust on everything from the fabrication stage of my build and I don't want to scratch everything up when I try to clean it.

Thanks in advance!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:30 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Removing grinding dust without scratching?

I'd roll it outside and take the air hose to it first. You don't want the dust back on everything in the shop again. If you aren't one of those "OMG I can't get my truck wet with real water" I'd take the hose and a good nozzle and wash it off then go back with soap and water and very gently wash it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #3
MiraclePieCo

Ditto on compressed air and soapy wash.

Meguiars makes a detail spray that lubricates the surface, thus reducing scratches. Spray and wipe using a microfiber towel, turning and changing frequently.

Powder coating should be relatively scratch resistant. But for painted areas, I'd just plan on going over everything with a buffer and polishing compound.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
mr48chev

One thing, throw the towels away after you wash it. The metal may never come out of the fabric.

I use that detail spray on my OT car all the time to spiff it up and get any water marks off but I'm not sure if it is what you want until you have the truck clean and then only if you have really good paint on it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
_Ogre

agreed. or take it thru the touch free car wash like i do, my well water sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
One thing, throw the towels away after you wash it. The metal may never come out of the fabric.
a friend of mine learned this lesson the hard way, when he wiped the roof of his 57 chevy with a clean microfiber towel

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
59chev

Thanks guys,

My truck is still in primer so the only places I am really worried about is the glass and my wheels since they are nice. I put in a brand-new windshield about 15 years ago then only drove the truck for 4 or 5 years at the most before it sat for a while and I started on my second re-build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
Old 06-21-2020, 04:07 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo

I badly scratched a windshield once by dry-wiping dirt off it. I was shocked by how easily it scratched.

I've also ruined two windshields by grinding near them. Those little metal sparks don't hurt skin, but they sure melt glass! Ruined a brand new set of vinyl bucket seats that way too.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 06-21-2020 at 04:17 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:25 AM   #8
59chev

Thanks MiraclePieCo, that's a good reminder. The majority of the dust has settled on the truck from just being in the garage. Any time I was grinding or welding anywhere near the front, I used a fiberglass welding blanket to cover the windshield and protect it from sparks. Same thing for the back, I draped the welding blanket over the back of the cab and held it to the roof with some magnets.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
dsraven

yup, I would blow it off outside and then wash it with some of that prewash/soak at the car wash-still no touching, it seems to take stuff off pretty well with no contact. then let it dry without touching yet and see what kind of scum is left, if any. are you able to take it to the car wash or have a pressure washer at home that can run the soap through?
I found out the hard way about grinding sparks too. had a welder fix a headache rack and the guy never covered anything. sparks in the glass and paint. you also need to be careful if the door or window is open because the sparks burn in to the cluster lens too, and the seat covers etc. I use an old beach towel with a small flap sewn in one end. it flops over the seat well and also keeps my greasy coveralls off the upholstery. an old towel over the dash works too. no dust down the vents to blow out at you when the key is turned on plus lens protection for the cluster.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
popstand

No air - blows the grinding dust everywhere you don't want it to be.

Soap and water, generous and gently with the water - no blasting, and no scrubbing, couple of times, flush well, big bath towels to gently dry.

I don't like water either, but in this case it's the best.
popstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:42 AM   #11
prateroad

I used to buy horsehair car wash brushes from I think Eastwood. They lift the dirt from the paint. I caught my son's girlfriend wet wiping his 68 Camaro one day and instructed her that she was just smearing the dirt around on the car.
prateroad is offline   Reply With Quote