The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
obie16

info/pictures

Looking for some info on on steering columns... I have a 52 chevy 3100 getting a ls swap, with a mustang II front end. what I've dug up on here is a 30-32 in will work, My question is who do i go with, is there any forum venders that deal with flaming river or ididit? and my second question is fire wall mounted master cylinder with a booster, not sure i'm going to have room on the frame with the 4l80E in there. any help would be much appreciated! Thanks everybody!!
obie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: info/pictures

I'm not sure if any of the regular forum vendors sell them but one might.

Either Ididit or Flaming river will give you a quality product without headaches.

30 or 32 length may depend a bit on the depth of the hub/spokes on the wheel you plan to run.

When I had a tilt in my 48 there weren't aftermarket columns available and I ended up shortening one to fit and don't remember if I measured it or not. It was more of "that is just where I want it" and done. The truck was subframed with a Camaro subframe then and sometimes I got in a hurry in those days.

A number of the guys have swapped in the aftermarket units so you should get the feedback you need.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #3
obie16

Is ididit still a good company to work with? I thought I heard they sold out and have turned to crap??
Old 06-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
Root2812

You just asked questions I have been thinking about too. I have a 1950 3100 with LS and mustang II. I don't think I can get a frame mounted booster in there after the 4l60e and exhaust. I am curious to see what you come up with. Do you have a build thread? I would like to see what you are doing. I just started a thread on here today asking about what fluids to use with the mis matched parts. You should chime in on what you are using.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
mr48chev

I haven't heard anything about Ididit selling out or their quality going down. Can't find anything and the only complaints I find are wiring related that may have been owner induced. The I hooked it up and now my turn light doesn't work, thing.

I did find out that their columns are serial numbered for reference.

They and Flaming River both use Saginaw internal pieces straight from GM in their tilts. That is the big difference between their stuff and the Chinese stuff. Quality of the actual internal parts.

Still some people can tear up anything. I've got real good at taking GM tilt steering apart and tightening it up because my wife has a bad habit of pulling herself up with the wheel to be able to turn the key. She screwed up stock columns on at least four cars we have owned but the VW we have now doesn't have a tilt.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
mr48chev

I've always wondered why someone hasn't made and sold the external pieces to use with later model GM tilt innards that you could swap your internal pieces to. The job may be beyond the scope of a lot of guys though.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
jweb

I've had my Ididit for about 15 years and no problems at all. I think it's a 30".
I would contact Matt's Classic Bowties. They are a vendor on this forum, have good prices and good customer service. servicehttps://mcbparts.com/

I also have a firewall mounted booster and M/C. I chose a firewall mount for easy access and an under floor mount will likely need a remote reservoir and residual valves. So the firewall setup has a few less parts.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
my56chevytruck

I've got both steering columns and the only issue I've had is the tilt stick on the Flaming River column had to be replaced. They both are quality products and other than this minor matter, I've had "0" problems with them. I used a 30" on the truck and can't quite remember the length on the Ididit column I've got in my street rod.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #9
obie16

Thanks everybody for the responses, I did reach out to Matt at Matts Classic Bowties, and he suggested a custom build sheet for a column, did anybody else change anything on their columns, like wiring harness location or anything like that? Just want to make sure I get the right column the first time.