The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
cericd

Is There Actually a Correct Driver's Side Front Bumper Brace For Power Steering?

I recently upgraded my 1970 C10 to power steering which required the notching of the driver's side outer bumper brace. According to what I found on the forum, this is common and due to the fact that my truck originally came with manual steering.

Today I decided to see if there is actually a specific driver's side outer brace for power steering equipped trucks. According to the 65-75 Chevrolet Pickup Parts Catalog there is only one part # for 69-70 LEFT Front Bumper Brace and one part # for 71-72 LEFT Front Bumper Brace. I checked vendor's sites and I couldn't find one that specifies a special set of front bumper braces for C/10's with power steering. However, LMC states "A slight modification may be necessary when installed on models with power steering" on all of their LEFT side front bumper braces, 2wd or 4wd.

During my research in the forum I found the following solutions, notching of the driver's side outer brace, make sure that you have the the left and right side braces on their respective side (no notch required), "I didn't have any problems using my factory brackets". So, no clear answer.

Also, I couldn't find anyone posting pictures of the difference between a manual brace and a power steering one. I couldn't even find someone selling a set of "power steering" front bumper braces. However, I did find several threads with front bumper brackets for sale, some even had people asking if they would work "without modification" for a power steering truck. None of the sellers knew for sure.

Anybody know the answer to this?

I'd like to replace my notched brace with a correct power steering compatible one if one's available.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: Is There Actually a Correct Driver's Side Front Bumper Brace For Power Steering?

i am wondering if the difference is as simple as using a 71-72 bracket on older models . anyone have pics of both ?
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
cericd

Re: Is There Actually a Correct Driver's Side Front Bumper Brace For Power Steering?

I thought the same thing. That’s why I was surprised to see that the 71-72 LEFT brace “may require modification” according to LMC. Also, looking at the pictures on LMC, it looked like the putter bumper bolts on the 71-72 bumper, are located closer to the outer edges of the bumper. Which makes me think they wouldn’t line up with the holes in a 69-70 front bumper.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
custom10nut

I ground a notch into the driver side brace, in order to clear the Powere Steering box, when I did the conversion. I know it’s not factory spec, but my truck is nowhere a show truck
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
cericd

I hear ya. Most people seem to go that route. I did too but I’m trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not a correct, power steering compatible, brace exists.

Last edited by cericd; 11-03-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:22 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

I don't know the answer to your question, but here is a picture of the original braces on my '69. I don't see anything there I'd refer to as notches. However, the left brace does appear to have the top (in the picture) edge folded back. I'll take a look at the reassembled truck tomorrow.

EDIT: I'm not sure the left brace is original since some idiot backed into the left front of the truck at about 20 MPH in 1972. The bumper, fender and hood had to be replaced. I'd bet the brace also needed replacement. I think I probably still have the repair invoice, but I can't check for it until next week..
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 11-04-2021 at 12:34 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:33 AM   #7
pjmoreland

Here's an NOS 67-70 driver side bracket I bought thinking it would fit without being cut. I was wrong. The frame end (has the round hole, not a slot) doesn't look the same as FirstOwner69's.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:04 AM   #8
cericd

Thanks for the pics guys.

Jim, prior to me creating this thread, I had run across another thread in which you had posted that same picture http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...28&postcount=2. You were one of the few people that said you didn't have fitment issues with your original braces. Was your truck originally equipped with power steering or did you add it at a later date.

Supposedly, trucks that came from the factory had driver's side outer bumper braces that were able to clear the power steering gear without notching.

I find it odd that the Parts Catalog doesn't mention something like "except pwr steering" or "w/ pwr steering" when referring to these braces and that there aren't multiple part #'s for the 69-70 trucks.

Jim, your left and right brackets appear to be different shapes. The aftermarket braces seem to be mirror images of each other.

See pic below
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2021, 01:13 AM   #9
cericd

Here's what the parts manual shows.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #10
BigBird05

Some times to save money the factory will just list the one part if it fits both applications. I.E. only sell the power steering brace because it will fit non power steering trucks. By not having to stock a non power steering brace it saves a lot of money.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #11
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
Some times to save money the factory will just list the one part if it fits both applications. I.E. only sell the power steering brace because it will fit non power steering trucks. By not having to stock a non power steering brace it saves a lot of money.
Makes sense but if both parts exist I would think there wouldn’t be so many issues with people having to notch their bracket, even if they have purchased a NOS bracket.

Just trying to see if a correct part exists so I can replace my modified brace. Would be nice to be able to identify the correct brace on sight.

Also, i don’t want to buy an aftermarket set if I’m going to have to modify it anyway.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #12
pjmoreland

Take a look at the photo in post #4 of this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780619

The bracket at the top of the photo looks like FirstOwner69's bracket. I suspect that's a power steering-specific 68-70 2WD bracket.

Last edited by pjmoreland; 11-04-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #13
cericd

Yep, I think you're correct. Assuming FirstOwner69's truck originally came with power steering.

Good catch.

Wonder what the difference between 69-70 and 71-72 brackets are. Seems like the 71-72 brackets look "flatter" like the top one in the pic you mentioned.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #14
pjmoreland

I think the 71-72 brackets are longer to avoid the turn signals in the bumper.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #15
cericd

I agree that the 71-72 outer brackets must be longer. Here's a comparison of 67, 70, 71 & 72 front ends. Notice the 67 and 70 outer bumper bolts are centered under the headlights but the 71 & 72 outer bolts are farther apart.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #16
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Yep, I think you're correct. Assuming FirstOwner69's truck originally came with power steering.

Good catch.

Wonder what the difference between 69-70 and 71-72 brackets are. Seems like the 71-72 brackets look "flatter" like the top one in the pic you mentioned.
Yes, my truck has always had power steering. It's a 3/4 ton if that makes any difference in the front framewise.

Here's a picture of it installed that shows about 1/8" clearance..
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #17
cericd

Thanks for confirming that your truck was always pwr steering.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:23 AM   #18
AllGoNoShow

Glad I looked at this thread!

Previous owner put an aftermarket painted bumper on my 68 C10, and never installed the outer braces, but gave them to me in a pile of parts. Well when I went to install them I realized they were too short and wouldn't fit but never knew why (its like they would have need a 1" spacer block on the frame to attach).

Clearly the PO must have installed an aftermarket later year bumper with the wider spacing and that is why the outer bumper braces don't fit. I guess I need to find me a set of the 71+ braces now!
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #19
pjmoreland

I found one of these power steering brackets locally today, and installed it. It is 20-1/2" long and has a "P" stamped in it. I wonder if that stands for "Power." It fit just right. The second photo below is next to the left NOS bracket I notched. Thank you for starting this thread. This issue has been bugging me for a while!
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #20
cericd

Wow! Congrats on finding the correct bracket. Was it on a truck or had someone already removed it. Do you know what vehicle it came from?

Thanks for sharing the measurements, the “P” infor and the pictures.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #21
pjmoreland

I bought it from a guy who had a collection of brackets that he had already removed from trucks, so I have no idea what truck it came from. It obviously had power steering though, because the bracket was caked with power steering fluid and dirt.