The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
AJLChase

Power lock kit from LMC

Have any of you tried installing this? I picked up the 2 door one. It comes with some blocks that you are suppose to attach one end to the steel push rod and the other end to the door knob rod, but the door knob rod is too thick. It would work pretty slick if they matched up, but they don't!
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
wood
PooP

Re: Power lock kit from LMC

i installed the 2 door one and i had to file down the block to get the rod to fit, it is soft metal so it files easy.
wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Oh,power door locks.I see power lock and I think "Power-Loc",GM`s posi unit.I guess my mind`s more rear end oriented.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
i installed the 2 door one and i had to file down the block to get the rod to fit, it is soft metal so it files easy.
Well, it looks like I got one of the blocks filed down just fine. The other though, I kind of messed it up and now the tiny screw won't catch, it just spins in place so I'll call LMC see about getting another one. Do you have any pictures as to how you wired it fromt he door into your cab? I've got an idea but am not positive how it will work.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
chirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
Well, it looks like I got one of the blocks filed down just fine. The other though, I kind of messed it up and now the tiny screw won't catch, it just spins in place so I'll call LMC see about getting another one. Do you have any pictures as to how you wired it fromt he door into your cab? I've got an idea but am not positive how it will work.
I did it on mine but i had to drill the hole for the wires with the door out I'll try to remember to take pics of it
chirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirt View Post
I did it on mine but i had to drill the hole for the wires with the door out I'll try to remember to take pics of it

With no reference and only pictures of 6x9s to go buy I ran it through the bottom half of the door with the door on it's hinges...my thought process was to run the wire up in between the inner fenders and outer fenders into the top most part of the kick panel parallel with the middle of the dash. But, my drill bit wouldn't go through, as I am not sure if there is two pieces of metal back to back in that spot.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
chirt

Quote:
With no reference and only pictures of 6x9s to go buy I ran it through the bottom half of the door with the door on it's hinges...my thought process was to run the wire up in between the inner fenders and outer fenders into the top most part of the kick panel parallel with the middle of the dash. But, my drill bit wouldn't go through, as I am not sure if there is two pieces of metal back to back in that spot.
I drilled the hole right under the dash right about where you have that handle to open that air door on the kick panel? know where i mean?
I'll take pics tomorrow you'll just need a long drill bit
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirt View Post
I drilled the hole right under the dash right about where you have that handle to open that air door on the kick panel? know where i mean?
I'll take pics tomorrow you'll just need a long drill bit
Sure do. That's where I was gonna do it at first, just didn't know if it would create any fuss with the air vent. Did you run a loom and grommets? I've been told this would be a smart idea, but I know nothing about them. Thanks for your responses...good to know I'm not in it alone!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
chirt

Quote:
Sure do. That's where I was gonna do it at first, just didn't know if it would create any fuss with the air vent. Did you run a loom and grommets? I've been told this would be a smart idea, but I know nothing about them. Thanks for your responses...good to know I'm not in it alone!
I rolled electric tape around the harness and then I just used the loom. I made the loom go all the way from inside the cab to the inside of the door, It's a little pain in you know what but it's better that way, Now if you use the grommets too, it will be even better. plus I installed power windows so the harness on the left door was kind of fat
Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
AJLChase

Say, You said you drilled right near the vent door handle..that would mean you basically had to go through two layers of metal as it's not one solid piece correct? I took my doors off so I should have better access to it all, just wanted to not drill a hole and regret it!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
chirt

Quote:
Say, You said you drilled right near the vent door handle..that would mean you basically had to go through two layers of metal as it's not one solid piece correct? I took my doors off so I should have better access to it all, just wanted to not drill a hole and regret it!
That's correct!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
mbgmike

The kits from LMC are real cheap kits. Their are a lot better and more dependable ones on the market. Usually the ones from LMC have crappy instructions to boot. You can spend a little more and get a much better product. Some of the stuff they sell is good but this is not one of them. Just my opinion
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
mbgmike

Quote:
Have any of you tried installing this? I picked up the 2 door one. It comes with some blocks that you are suppose to attach one end to the steel push rod and the other end to the door knob rod, but the door knob rod is too thick. It would work pretty slick if they matched up, but they don't!
grind the groove out with a dremel is what you have to do on all their kits
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
howard_m18

I bought mine from www.electric-life.com It was a 2 dr. set = #95110 NEW 2-DOOR MES CABLE OPERATED POWER DOOR LOCK KIT WITH 4-CHANNEL KEYLESS ENTRY. $163
I haven't installed them yet But at least that is one site to check. I also got the power window set at the same time. Howard

Last edited by howard_m18; 08-19-2009 at 07:14 PM.
howard_m18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
AJLChase

Well, I took a shot in the dark and figured if it was junk I could just learn from it. But, I think so far, with the cheap instructions it's not going too bad. It's good for me, as I've gotta kind of think for myself. Yes, I would love something to tell me step by step how to do it, as it would relieve stress, but now that I've got the wire loom and grommets in place it looks really good, and feels better knowing I did it on my own. I'll post some pics up of here soon! I will probably next time go with a better kit, or if this one doesn't boot up return it and try something else.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Oh,power door locks.I see power lock and I think "Power-Loc",GM`s posi unit.I guess my mind`s more rear end oriented.
Geeeee....don't let the Longhorn Man know this?

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
haysonj

Here's what I did with the wires. Only bad thing is you cant operate the windows or locks with the door open. I got my locks from LMC and didn't have a problem with them.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
AJLChase

So, it's been slow going as I'm not to familiar with working on cars, drilling holes, running wires and now hooking them up. I've got the actuators wired up, and ready to hook up the ground and power wire. Any opinions on where I can connect my 12v wire so that it's constantly supplied with power, also a good spot for a ground wire to connect to? Preferably one that's already got a screw to wedge it between? Thanks!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #19
dads1967dream

I know this is an old thread but need some help. My dad bought the LMC kit before he passed away . I understand everything except the yellow wires that are on a plug that connects to channel one. Does anyone know what these are for, nothing in the directions for them.
dads1967dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #20
jocko

For those reading the thread for the first time - as stated above, there are other vendors besides LMC. Don't forget to check out the site vendors. VH Coachworks sells a nice kit for this. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537720
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #21
dads1967dream

I know from reading this that there are better kits but I already have this one and would like to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For those that have not read my previous post, this truck was my dad's dream to finish. I am using what my dad purchased before he passed away. This truck has been in our family 37 years. Just trying to get it back together.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads1967dream View Post
I know from reading this that there are better kits but I already have this one and would like to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For those that have not read my previous post, this truck was my dad's dream to finish. I am using what my dad purchased before he passed away. This truck has been in our family 37 years. Just trying to get it back together.
Completely understand - really mentioning for other folks that happen upon this thread and are in the market for these.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #23
dads1967dream

Not going so bad wiring is about done. Taking it slow with 2 new doors and no hardware in them, thats next. I do have another question. My dad ordered an Autoloc flat power window kit that seems easy enough except that the motors do not come off the track. According to their instructions the motor can be moved and mounted anywhere as long as there are no kinks. I have seen other kits that look like this but you have to cut the track to fit. Any thoughts. I looked everywhere on the net but cannot find this setup. Pictures attached.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #24
dads1967dream

Not going so bad wiring is about done. Taking it slow with 2 new doors and no hardware in them, thats next. I do have another question. My dad ordered an Autoloc flat power window kit that seems easy enough except that the motors do not come off the track. According to their instructions the motor can be moved and mounted anywhere as long as there are no kinks. I have seen other kits that look like this but you have to cut the track to fit. Any thoughts. I looked everywhere on the net but cannot find this setup. Pictures attached.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #25
iriereggaeman

Hi dads1967dream - you and I are attempting the same at nearly the same time. I ordered the LMC kit about a month ago for my '72 Burban, but I haven't have the time to install it yet. Partially due to higher priority projects, and a concern that the quality of the unit may not be great. The price was probably a good indicator, but once received, confirmed. One of my door locks is really difficult to open unless the exterior door handle is leaned against - so I think the actuator will bind up, and not have the strength to open it. So...I was thinking perhaps I needed a new latch on the door before attempting and burning up the electronics.
I'd like to hear of your experience with it.
Best,
IriereggaeMan
iriereggaeman is offline   Reply With Quote