The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
Ole Greenie

Lowered trailing arm trucks...and shims

Hey ya'll,

I've read a few articles about this but I see almost always non-committal about this subject.

I've built two trucks that were dropped a bit. Neither required a C-Notch but I have a bit of info for the forum regarding both.

First, the leaf spring trucks don't necessarily require any longitudinal redirection for the differential...unless you are going low enough to install a C-Notch or high enough to REQUIRE a redirecton. If you lower, make sure you measure the angles and move on (seek assistance from youtube). the difference in angles should be less than 1 degree but more than 0.5 degrees, optimally.

If, however you have a trailing arm truck, particularly a short bed, you will NEED to check the pinion angle. You see, lowering the truck changes the pinion angle of the differential significantly if you lower the truck. Lowering pivots the pinion angle of the differential proportionately commensurate with the amount of drop. You may be able to get away with a 2" drop but you will have to address a 3 or more inch drop because trailing arm drops will rotate the stock rear gear housing.

For a 4" drop, you will need a 3-4 degree shim. if more drop, you will need a bigger shim. Again, this is only for trailing am trucks (AKA: NASCAR coil spring setup rear suspension with panhard bar).

Note: I have a short bed trailing arm truck...year is irrelevant...lowered 4" rear and 3.5 front. Differential rotated upon lowering. Another is a shortbed leaf spring truck, bagged. The coil spring truck needed shims and the leaf spring truck didn't (differential never rotated).

Hope this helps,
John
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
New motor install Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667773
Ole Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
rjs53

Re: Lowered trailing arm trucks...and shims

Helps a lot! Have been looking for info on this, I'm going with a early classics 4-6 drop so I know pinion angle will need attention. I'm going to get the driveline shortened as this was a long bed. Thanks for the info.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
CC69Rat

68 Short Fleet. 5/7 drop, trailing arms. 4 deg shims.

You can also flip the front trailing arm brackets upside down and offset about a 4in rear drop. ( shims are much easier )

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
RodnRudy

I've been struggling with this issue also. 68 Fleet with 5 1/5, 7" drop. I raised the trans mount up 1", got it to 3 degrees down. The rear pinion is 1 degree up. This is at simulated ride height, jack stands under rear housing and on outer A arms. The frame sits level front to rear and the drive shaft is 0 degrees. I'm going to go with a 2 degree shim in the rear to bring it up. I hope this remedies the nuisance drone I'm getting.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
dec010974

where do you buy the shims and what shims are you referring to?i have never heard of this. thanks for the info.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Rich69shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
where do you buy the shims and what shims are you referring to?i have never heard of this. thanks for the info.
I'd like to know this too.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
beaterku

Speedway motors sells them:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rear-...up,294450.html
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
rjs53

So if I flip the trailing arms upside down it will also adjust the pinion? What about handling, any changes there
Old 03-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
'70_402

So will any truck that is dropped in the rear need shims??? Is everyone running shims?
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs53 View Post
So if I flip the trailing arms upside down it will also adjust the pinion? What about handling, any changes there
Flip the front brackets upside down (switch sides) and put the bushing bolt back into the same hole it was originally. This brings the front mount point up toward the bed floor and will offset the fact the truck is lowered. So you'll trick your truck into thinking it's not even lowered at all. Handling and pinion angle go back to stock specs as long as you're not lower than about 4" drop. You can get away with more yes.. Just saying the flip will offset about a 4" drop.

But it's not easy unless you have the bed off and an air chisel. The rivets are a pita.

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 03-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
pappy 2

Have short bed with 6 in. rear drop. Have the trailing arms set in the 3rd hole from bottom, 2nd from top on the adjustable cross member. Will I still need to shim the rear even if I go to the top hole on the cross member.

thanks for replys
pappy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:49 AM   #12
rjs53

I'll try shims before I work the rivets out, their to much of a hassle. Thanks for the information.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
Rich69shortfleet

I did a 4 inch drop all around about 18 years ago. I've never really had any noticeable driveline vibrations BUT I have replaced the center bearing about 3 times so maybe I have and just haven't noticed it in the driver's seat.

Anyway, just so I am 100% clear, help me understand what I need to do. Speedway is basically in my backyard so getting the shims is easy peasy.

I have a 69 short box 1/2 ton (so, coil springs). When I lowered it with lowering springs I also put in shorter stroke KYB shocks and an adjustable panhard rod and a rear sway bar (and a larger front bar). Given what I've read above I should use 4 degree shims. Right? And I would install the shims with the thick end of the shim facing the front of the truck (to raise the pinion). Right?

Now that I own a 250 lb/ft rattle gun getting those huge u-bolts loose this time will be a heck of a lot easier than they were 18 years ago when I only had hand tools.

I'll be installing new wheels and hit a hard bump recently so I plan to get it re-aligned when this is all done.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
RodnRudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
Thanks for that Speedway link Beaterku, I almost dropped $65 at CPP for their shims. Placed order from Speedway this morning. Rich69shortfleet, yes thick end of shim goes forward, you want to raise the pinion yoke.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
demian5

3" Spring + 1" block.
So this may be the cause of the bed shake at about 65-75 MPH on my otherwise pretty solid component truck?
You can buy block with the degrees built in from CPP.

Id like to hear from people that actually solved a vibration issue by adding shims.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
3" Spring + 1" block.
So this may be the cause of the bed shake at about 65-75 MPH on my otherwise pretty solid component truck?
You can buy block with the degrees built in from CPP.

Id like to hear from people that actually solved a vibration issue by adding shims.

I have several times. What you're feeling is due to the harmonic vibration of your drive shaft and joints. The vibration is caused by somewhat of a jump rope effect. As the drive shaft turns, the distance around is more going down than it is going up.. So it shakes a little when the vibrations tries to sync up. Typically you'll feel harmonics at 64mph, depending on your tire sizes.

I usually angle my pinion 1 dag off center, you don't want it zeroed out entirely. I've bu8lt a bunch of these trucks, S10s, etc. Shims will fix the vibrations.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I have several times. I've bu8lt a bunch of these trucks, S10s, etc. Shims will fix the vibrations.
Awesome, thank you. This would also explain why I have to spray my center support with white lithium every few months because its getting a little to much force from the pinion being down.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #18
CastIron

Here's a video that shows why pinion angles are important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY

I'm pretty sure I watched an older version of this made by GM when I was taking automotive classes many years ago.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #19
CC69Rat

Here's another couiple videos. First I want to hit on hard acceleration. When you pull away from a red light or whatever, your pinion will rotate UP because of the force of the engine moving the car / truck forward.

https://youtu.be/yKyx_k5JIdg

So, taking that into consideration what I normally do is set my pinion about 1 deg down in relation to the tail shaft. If you have a two piece driveshaft remember you have another set of angles to worry about too. A couple people have mentioned carrier brings, just know you also need to measure the comp flange at both ends and make sure through the whole driveline they cancel each other out within 1 deg or so.

When I say I set mine 1 deg down at the pinion. I'm taking the upward movement into consideration too. I point it down to kind of offset some of that uplift even before it's accelerating. That way if let's say the pinion moves up 2 Deg on a really hard launch.. it's only moving 1 deg past zero if that makes sense ?

Here's another really good video on it. https://youtu.be/wPUgvJsfwmc

What I'd suggest if you're having vibes, run and grab a magnetic angle finder and Home Depot / Lowes or whatever. Measure at all 3 points, your tail shaft (a guy earlier said he had lofted hjis trans tail shaft to try to fix it..

Carrier baring would be 2

Pinion would be 3. Counter balance (shims, or however you chose) the drive shaft rotation angles within 1 deg or so and I promise you'll feel a difference. Prob pick up a few horsepower too.

Hope this helps. I'll post a pic of mine in a few.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #20
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
a guy earlier said he had lofted his trans tail shaft to try to fix it.
But if the engine and trans are in the stock location, the angles should be OK between the trans and second carrier I would think. However I have seen 3/32" and 1/8" shims under trans mounts between trans and mount in the past.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #21
Aus69c20

A lot of helpful info here. I’ll be looking closer at my angles now.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #22
Rich69shortfleet

Okay, I got my 4 degree shims for a 4 inch drop. I was looking at my truck as it sits in the driveway. As it sits, the pinion is already pointing up slightly. To help visualize, I jacked up the truck at the bumper to see how it would look when it was at stock height. At that height, the pinion is still pointing slightly upward. So, if I put in the shims the pinion would be angled even higher. My thought is, for whatever reason, my pinion is pointing upward slightly and shimming it would make it WORSE, unless I put the shims in the opposite way. My additional thought is that since I am not experiencing any drivetrain vibration I'm just going to leave it completely alone and return the shims to Speedway.

First picture, stock height. Second picture, lowered static height. In fact, looking at the pictures side by side it doesn't look like the angle really even changes that much from one height to the other.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #23
Robznob11

Fyi, hit me up if your looking for a set of 4* shims, I built a 9" and welded in the 4*'s
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #24
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet View Post
Okay, I got my 4 degree shims for a 4 inch drop. I was looking at my truck as it sits in the driveway. As it sits, the pinion is already pointing up slightly. To help visualize, I jacked up the truck at the bumper to see how it would look when it was at stock height. At that height, the pinion is still pointing slightly upward. So, if I put in the shims the pinion would be angled even higher. My thought is, for whatever reason, my pinion is pointing upward slightly and shimming it would make it WORSE, unless I put the shims in the opposite way. My additional thought is that since I am not experiencing any drivetrain vibration I'm just going to leave it completely alone and return the shims to Speedway.

First picture, stock height. Second picture, lowered static height. In fact, looking at the pictures side by side it doesn't look like the angle really even changes that much from one height to the other.
I agree. It looks like someone may have adjusted yours at some point in the past. Not all trucks will need them. That's why I had suggested an angle finder first.. to figure out exactly what you need. 3-4 deg shims for 4-5" drop is about normal. SWB, LWB. History of your truck. Mileage, etc can change things. Ex if it's hauled a trailer all it's life.. things like that

Make sure you measure the pinion angle at ride height.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #25
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
But if the engine and trans are in the stock location, the angles should be OK between the trans and second carrier I would think. However I have seen 3/32" and 1/8" shims under trans mounts between trans and mount in the past.
Happens a lot. I've used them in S10s too. With a two piece shaft, you can shim the carrier bearing too. No problem