The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
72bowtiestepper

Rusted Spring Shackles on 2001 Blazer

Anyone have any tips on removing the rear leaf spring shackles on my 2dr. 4X4 blazer ? They are totaly rusted out....got the nuts (upper & lower) off of the bolts, but the bolts are rusted in the bushings. No room whatsoever to swing a BFH , or to use a impact wrench....tried heating & soaking with penetrating oil...no luck so far. Any ideas ??
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Rusted Spring Shackles on 2001 Blazer

If you remove the outer bumper extension, you can get an impact wrench on the outside. And room to swing the hammer. On the drivers side, the EVAP canister will also need to be moved.

The fuel tank will have to be removed to access the inside.

I went out and looked at my 99 2 door, and the bolts were installed from the inside. Meaning the fuel tank must be removed to get the bolts out.

I've had good luck with impacts going back and forth and back and forth to free them. Then an air hammer to drive them out.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
72bowtiestepper

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions!.....will try them.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
72bowtiestepper

Did the job yesterday....got the top bolts on each side free turning with the nuts off & cut them off with a sawsall so I didn't have to remove the gas tank.
The bolts on the leaf spring were rusted into the sleeves in the rubber bushing..no way they were coming out , so I burned them out with my torch using a shield to protect the gas tank from open flame. Once the bushings were out, it was a breeze to install new bolts & bushing finishing the job. I cut about 1/2" off the new top bolts so they would clear the gas tank....plenty left to tighten the new shackles.
One added note : The parts guy sold me the wrong leaf spring bushings for the springs...The correct O.D is 1.660" The top bushing for the frame is
1.500".
Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
1project2many

The fastest, most consistent method we've found for spring shackle bolts is to have one guy with an air hammer & mushroom tip driving the bolt out while a second guy uses a breaker bar to apply torque to the bolt. They usually begin to move very quickly with that combination.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote