The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #626
Bomp

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Might fit better with a bell crank set up. Are you planning on running stock gauges?
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #627
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Might fit better with a bell crank set up. Are you planning on running stock gauges?
Stock gauges and column.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #628
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
CPP hubs came in today. Just need rotors so I can make caliper brackets.
I'm looking forward to watching that happen.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #629
zippeay

Killer build! I used to Live in Sumter SC. I used to work with Mr Scrapes, he did most of the bags and hydro setups around there. Not sure if he's still around, I haven't been back there for almost 10 years...
Great job! I dig your motor! Here I thought I was being cool with a tripower haha!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #630
theastronaut

Rotors came in today. I weighed everything except the pads and caliper brackets (don't have those yet) to compare to the old disc conversion stuff. Wasn't expecting the bigger brakes to be lighter, but they'll shave about five pounds off each side. Not much overall, but it's all unsprung weight so it makes a bigger difference.

12" Disc Conversion Parts:
  • Spindle/Rotor Assembly- 55 pounds
  • Caliper.- 10 pounds, 3.7 oz

65 Pounds, 3.7 oz each side.

New parts:
  • Rotor 28 pounds, 4.0 oz
  • Caliper 8 pounds 14.9 oz
  • Hub 5 pounds, 2.0 oz
  • Spindle 18 pounds, 0.9 oz

60 pounds, 5.8 oz

Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #631
theastronaut

Got to work on 'Locks a little yesterday. Got the rack and pinion bolted in and set the frame rails on 4x4" tubing. I want that to be the normal ride height, maybe slightly more if it scrapes too much. The lowest point on my '64 VW is 2.75 and it rarely bottoms out so I think 4" will be plenty.

Mocked up the lower bag mount height with another 4x4" block, which leave the bag at 4.75". Is that compressed too much? The max compressed height is 2.8" aired out, but I can't find info on the minimum bag height at ride height.

Also built a stand to work on the caliper brackets. It looks like one of the bolt holes in the spindle will line up already, and I'll only have to make a bracket for the bottom holes.

I had to plug a leak in my sister's TBSS tire so while it was off I checked to see how well 20's with a decent size sidewall would fit... way too tall. I don't want rubber band sidewalls so it looks like I'll be doing 18's.

And speaking of wheels, I ran across this picture of CCW classics in the perfect color- brushed translucent bronze. They're three pieced forged so they're light and they're relatively inexpensive compared to most other three piece forged wheels. Can be built in just about any size/offset and they can make sure that they'll clear the calipers without using spacers.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #632
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Mocked up the lower bag mount height with another 4x4" block, which leave the bag at 4.75". Is that compressed too much? The max compressed height is 2.8" aired out, but I can't find info on the minimum bag height at ride height
Not to question your calculations on your build cause you got it going on Serious.
How much air pressure will you be needing to maintain the 4.75" height? Will it be too soft, too hard? If you take a corner aggressively will you suffer from body roll?
Depending on the driving situation, weight in the truck, freeway, in town, track, winding scenic road out in the country, that usually plays a big part in desired bag pressure. May have to adjust bag height to accomplish desired comfort in ride quality.

I have this info bookmarked from 67c10rustbucket: Info I refer back to now and again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
generally everyone uses a (firestone) 2600# bags front and rear on a full size chevy, and firestone 2500# on front of an s10 or other mini w/ 2600# on the rear . some use 2500# all the way around on a mini so they can carry 1 extra bag instead of 2 different ones.
as for your truck i would use a 2600# firestone (re7 equivalent i think) for front and rear. on the front you want a bag that will put the suspension at full lift without stretching the bag. if you use a bag that only gives you 6" of lift without locking the front suspension up you will stretch the outboard side of the bag. example if you use a 2500# bag on the front of a full size truck you will get less lift but it will require higher pressure and the outboard side of the bag will be stretched and eventually rip or blow. if you think about it the inner side of the bag does not lift as far as the outer because its closer to the pivot point. and if you get a smaller bag that only lifts the front to 6" it will ride like your sitting on a brick at 6". you have to have a little extra up/down travel from your desired height to make a comfortable ride.
a smaller bag requires more pressure to lift than a larger bag. more volume uses less pressure, . in a full size truck your pressure to achieve desired ride height should be around 90-100 psi front and 40-50 psi rear depending on weight . assuming thats a small block, a big block would require more like 120+ psi to lift the front. also at full drop the bags should be fully compressed (3" i think between mounts cups whatever) if the bags are not fully compressed this will cause you to use excess pressure to lift the truck.
weight , bag volume, lift angle/position, all change the general psi of lift.
if you only want 6ish" in the rear it would be best to use over the axle mounts rather than in the stock spring location and the bags will last longer due to them being worked in a more direct up/down motion. in the stock spring location the will be inflated on an arch where the rear side of the bag will be lifting higher than the front.
I have used upper and lower "cups" but i prefer plates on the bottom that bolt to the control arm because the recess in the control arm does not have a consistent depth due to the shape of the coil spring. there will be a lower spot where the end of the coil must be clocked into so the recess is not flat in the bottom so the cups can wabble around. not to mention that when deflated the bag will squish out the sides (like a flat tire) so its nice to have a flat surface for it to squish on instead of a sharp edge of a cup (depending on the diameter of the cup).
another thing to think about most first timers mess up is the air bag may fit into the spring pocket just fine when its new and un-inflated but when you inflate it it will not only inflate up it will stretch outward so make sure you have close to 1/2 inch clearance around the bag to spring pocket. this is a huge problem on s10s.
I think most retailers websites list the specs of the bags they are selling i know i used to check them out as far as compressed height, full lift height, suggested ride height, bag material ply, weight lifting capacity, max psi, etc..
the truck looks awesome and theres nothing wrong with a big fat Z as long as its all aligned and welded properly. nice project !

I've read a few articles. Info you probably already know.
http://www.ridetech.com/info/pressur...eight-control/
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd131.htm
http://toplinehb.com/auto-repair/hig...ension-setups/

Not sure if any of this will help.
Sure do have a truck load of cool stuff going on.
Keep it up cause your build info is really helpful on my build.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #633
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Not to question your calculations on your build cause you got it going on Serious.
How much air pressure will you be needing to maintain the 4.75" height? Will it be too soft, too hard? If you take a corner aggressively will you suffer from body roll?
Depending on the driving situation, weight in the truck, freeway, in town, track, winding scenic road out in the country, that usually plays a big part in desired bag pressure. May have to adjust bag height to accomplish desired comfort in ride quality.

I have this info bookmarked from 67c10rustbucket: Info I refer back to now and again.

I've read a few articles. Info you probably already know.
http://www.ridetech.com/info/pressur...eight-control/
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd131.htm
http://toplinehb.com/auto-repair/hig...ension-setups/

Not sure if any of this will help.
Sure do have a truck load of cool stuff going on.
Keep it up cause your build info is really helpful on my build.
Those are the exact questions running through my head. I think the pressure will be too low since the bag will be pretty short at only 4.75", they'll go all the way up to about 12". I'm thinking that I'll need to cut and raise the upper mounting area 2-3" so the bag will be taller. Then I can add shims under the bag if I need to adjust the bag height/pressure at a certain ride height.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #634
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

I'm no good for helping with the technical info, but I just wanted to say it's good to see you getting back on it.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #635
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Everything I have read about ride height and air bags, is the bag should be set at a height that is in the middle of the stoke fo the bag.

If the bag has a 2.5" compressed height and the max extended height is 12", then the bag at ride height should be close to 8.375".

For a lot of the 2600# bags on the market that I have looked at, the ride height is between 6.5"-7.5".

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #636
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
I'm no good for helping with the technical info, but I just wanted to say it's good to see you getting back on it.
Yeah it's good to be back on it!! We started working 4-10's so I have Fridays off now; Friday is Goldilocks day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Everything I have read about ride height and air bags, is the bag should be set at a height that is in the middle of the stoke fo the bag.

If the bag has a 2.5" compressed height and the max extended height is 12", then the bag at ride height should be close to 8.375".

For a lot of the 2600# bags on the market that I have looked at, the ride height is between 6.5"-7.5".

The mounts I made today will put it right around 6.75".
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #637
theastronaut

Chopped the crossmember today to raise the bag mount area. I need to get some plate and 10" pipe to box the area in. At this point I've realized I would have been better off to buy a No Limit WideRide crossmember...

2" cut out.

7" tall now. That'll shrink a little once I plate the mounting pad but it's a major improvement!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #638
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work as always.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #639
theastronaut

Got an update from Jason on the speedo lens today!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #640
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work as always.
Appreciate it!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #641
chad64chevy

lens looks great, always top notch detail
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #642
theastronaut

No real updates other than I've been buying parts. Bought a set of Porterbuilt 1" forward and 1" narrowed A-arms this week. Haven't had time to build my own and these will do everything I was wanting to do except for having a little extra drop at the bag mount for bag spacers. Maybe raising the upper mount will create enough room that I can still shim the bag if needed.

Been picking up NOS parts when I can find them at reasonable prices- not into dealing with aftermarket junk if I don't have to! So far found a pair of '66 Fawn armrests, interior mirror mount, and an anodized grill. Another find was a pair of NOS offset stud mirror heads. They're not GM but are identical. I also bought a pair of NOS chrome bumper guards that had a fair amount of shelf wear but I couldn't bring myself to use them for what I have in mind...

So instead I bought a pair of used guards to cut up. Wanting to shorten them a few inches to take some of their bulk away, always thought that they just looked to tall to fit the proportions of our trucks.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #643
Bomp

Great Score on all the parts!!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #644
duallyjams

That's some great finds.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #645
pdxhall

It's good to see you back at it. That's a nice group of parts you've accumulated. I don't even want you to tell me what you paid for that grill. If it was a real good deal I'll feel terrible that you got it and I didn't and if you paid a lot, then I'll be discouraged about ever finding one I can afford. It is a killer find, though. Let's get back to some of that quality work you put out.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #646
theastronaut

Thanks dudes. Been wanting to get back on it, just been busy with everything else lately. The VW broke a valve spring so it's out for repairs and upgrades (can't leave anything alone!). Hoping for another 30-40 hp with a cam and heads swap. It should be back together in a few weeks. Was going to autocross it at Goodguys Charlotte this weekend if this hadn't happened.

The PB arms should be here Monday. I'll get templates to plate the upper bag mounts and have a fab shop bend the filler plates next week. Should have the front rolling again soon.

Pdxhaull, the grill was a good deal- I happened to be on Ebay at just the right time. Matching bezels will be impossible to find though.

Last edited by theastronaut; 11-18-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #647
theastronaut

Porterbuilt arms came today so I did a quick test fit.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #648
duallyjams

did you weigh the old verses the new

I always thought with the bumper guards being tall was for adding a grill bar between them, look forward to seeing you shorten them up.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #649
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
did you weigh the old verses the new

I always thought with the bumper guards being tall was for adding a grill bar between them, look forward to seeing you shorten them up.
Haven't weighed them yet. Got to come back apart for new ball joints and paint so I'll do it then.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #650
theastronaut

Taller upper ball joints from QA1 came today. I'll get those bolted in and the correct lower ball joints pressed in next week. I talked with a local machine shop about designing and machining a set of caliper brackets; he's interested so I'll drop off the parts with him this week. Final mock up should be soon! Then on to the rear suspension.

Still haven't decided on an axle. It'll need to be fully floating to prevent pad knock back since the calipers are fixed. I'd like to build a Trailblazer EXT axle since the center section is aluminum. With chromoly axle tube pressed in they're roughly 50 pounds lighter than a 9" or 12 bolt.