The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #301
duallyjams

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Your pretty good at finding needles in a hay stack so a nos lens should be a piece of cake oh yeah this speedo gets my vote.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #302
cAlvis165

I'm subscribing to follow the rest of this one. I can't wait to see that engine come together. You're doing a great job with all the details.
cAlvis165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #303
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Your pretty good at finding needles in a hay stack so a nos lens should be a piece of cake oh yeah this speedo gets my vote.
Well, it helps when the needles are actually out there! I wouldn't even know where to start looking for one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAlvis165 View Post
I'm subscribing to follow the rest of this one. I can't wait to see that engine come together. You're doing a great job with all the details.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #304
padresag

no matter what eng you put in there
the definition of acceleration

The Definition of Acceleration

Read this through slowly and try to comprehend the amount of force produced in just over 4 seconds!

There are no rockets or airplanes built by any government in the world that can accelerate from a standing start as fast as a Top Fuel Dragster or Funny Car!

[]

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION:

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch (approx 8.3 litres) engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 8,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.

Nitro methane burns yellow... The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light ! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1:000:00 per second.

The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428 seconds for the quarter mile (11/12/06, Tony Schumacher, at Pomona , CA ). The top speed record is 336.15 mph as measured over the last 66' of the run (05/25/05 Tony Schumacher, at Hebron , OH ).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' powered Corvette Z06.. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

....... and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!!

ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #305
Narxoleptic Customs

Hubba hubba hubba!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #306
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
no matter what eng you put in there

The Definition of Acceleration...
ron
I don't need you giving me anymore idea's about going fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narxoleptic Customs View Post
Hubba hubba hubba!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I'm pretty sure I've settled in on the 160 mph speedo. Much more simple and not as crowded/busy.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #307
padresag

would you feel secure in one of these at 160.I have had my old 4 x 4 panel up around 85 and felt that was enough and that was with a 4 cyl and it was just starting to hum' I did have a 911T when I was younger and had it reading at 150 mph and felt it was pretty quick
these vehicles of ours are like a square brick in the wind though. I can remember coming into Vancouver on the freeway in my panel fighting a good h/wind and had trouble going over 50mph
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #308
Low Elco

Great project! You 60-66 guys arent afraid to charge in there!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #309
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
would you feel secure in one of these at 160.I have had my old 4 x 4 panel up around 85 and felt that was enough and that was with a 4 cyl and it was just starting to hum' I did have a 911T when I was younger and had it reading at 150 mph and felt it was pretty quick
these vehicles of ours are like a square brick in the wind though. I can remember coming into Vancouver on the freeway in my panel fighting a good h/wind and had trouble going over 50mph
ron
With the planned frame/suspension modifications it should be very stable well above 100 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Great project! You 60-66 guys arent afraid to charge in there!
Thanks!

As far as updates go, the VW engine is back in- just gotta hook everything back up, so that'll be out of the way within the next week or so. I got the steering column cover back from a friend last week, so I have all the pieces to go ahead and rebuild/detail the column and paint the wheel, turn signal housing, and shifter bell. I'll probably do this next. I haven't checked with the gauge guy in a few weeks, so no update on the speedo/tach for now. I haven't been able to find an LS2 block locally, so I'm not able to mock up the engine/trans yet either. I feel like a slacker for not making any progress this summer!

I have been working on replicating the textured '66 only dashboard paint. This was using SEM Texture Coating in a rattle can, and swapping the spray nozzle for a regular paint can tip for a finer mist. I backed off the panel about 2 feet so that it would dry spray and not flow out. It's a little to coarse/rough but fairly close, and I think buying it by the quart and spraying it at higher pressure through my Sata will produce the results I'm looking for. The green is just some rattle can paint over the SEM to see how well paint covers without distorting the texture. I'd say the factory texture matches 150-180 grit sandpaper pretty closely, and the rattle can SEM is around the texture of 80-120 grit. I'm hoping that thinning it and spraying through my paint gun should get it dead on the original paint texture!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #310
65Pickup

Another cool tip, I also didn't know the '66 had a textured dash.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #311
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Pickup View Post
Another cool tip, I also didn't know the '66 had a textured dash.
Yep, here's a couple shots of the glovebox door and heater controls. It's about the same texture as 180-220 grit sandpaper.

I was at a local scrap dealer yesterday and picked up a floor shift lever from an early 50's Chevy 3100. I'll weld on a tab to mount it to the T56 and get an original shift knob engraved with the 6 speed pattern. It's solid forged instead of a hollow tube, so it should hold up to any abuse it "might" encounter.

If I can find one, I'll sand the 4/5 speed shift pattern off an original shift knob and have the six speed pattern engraved, filled with white paint, then clear coat it. I don't know anyone that does precision engraving though.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #312
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I really like the idea of a LS engine. Those things make great power, don't leak, and get great mileage when coupled with the right components.
Personally, I know nothing of LS engines. Someone once mentioned to me that they do tend to leak.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #313
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Got that backwards I think.....LSx motors do NOT leak....like a sbc.
Posted via Mobile Device

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #314
MalibuKasey
Artist

With your eye and level of detail I think you could engrave the shifter knob with a dremel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #315
65Gregg

If I can find one, I'll sand the 4/5 speed shift pattern off an original shift knob and have the six speed pattern engraved, filled with white paint, then clear coat it. I don't know anyone that does precision engraving though.

I don't know for sure but you might check with a bowling ball retailer, they engrave names on balls.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #316
clemdaddy

i like the texture on your dash... i did mine by backing off about a foot with real low air pressure. kept misting color on color till the buildup covered good. i still had to matte clearcoat after the paint dried because to me it felt a bit rough. how did you do yours?
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #317
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Personally, I know nothing of LS engines. Someone once mentioned to me that they do tend to leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Right, my sister has a Trailblazer SS with an LS2 and it hasn't leaked a drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKasey View Post
With your eye and level of detail I think you could engrave the shifter knob with a dremel.
Posted via Mobile Device
It would end up being a mess if I tried that lol. I've tried pinstriping before... I won't tell you how badly that went!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post

I don't know for sure but you might check with a bowling ball retailer, they engrave names on balls.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a great idea, and there's a couple local bowling centers that I could check with. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
i like the texture on your dash... i did mine by backing off about a foot with real low air pressure. kept misting color on color till the buildup covered good. i still had to matte clearcoat after the paint dried because to me it felt a bit rough. how did you do yours?
I've only done the test panel so far using SEM Texture Coating. The other pics are the original paint. I may try your method since the SEM is a little too coarse.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #318
Gokart Mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post

http://www.americanshifter.com/produ...d-Shift-Knobs/

http://www.epcoshiftknobs.com/engraved.html

but $
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #319
litew8

I never mentioned sbc or compared the two. Like I said, it's what I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #320
MalibuKasey
Artist

Shoot!! There ya go! $33... heck thats worth it!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #321
jdoisher

I see you're on thesamba too!!
Jason
jdoisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #322
theastronaut

I'd easily be willing to pay that if they had the raised edge around the center like the original knobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKasey View Post
Shoot!! There ya go! $33... heck thats worth it!
Those are nice, but just not "correct". Kinda funny using the "correct" word on a custom, but that's the style I'm shooting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoisher View Post
I see you're on thesamba too!!
Jason
Yep! I'm convinced that there's enough VW guys on here to start our own forum section. What kinda VW you got?

Couple pics of my OG paint '64.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #323
jdoisher

A few.
Name:  BUS 158.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  30.3 KB
Name:  ZEKES BUG 010.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  ZEKES BUG 005.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  54.5 KB
Name:  ZEKES BUG 014.jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  51.6 KB
Its on a vw pan!
Name:  RENAULT 106.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  48.5 KB
a 62 rag top (its some were on the samba)
a 02 Jetta TDI (the car I love the most!)
and I had a few along the way!! lol
Jason
Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #324
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoisher View Post

Its on a vw pan!
Jason
Sweet! How's the two door conversion going on the Renault? Been watching it on thesamba, very nice fab work on the frame and body!!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #325
jdoisher

The renault, rag top, nova, and my bus are sitting in a warehouse, I haven't worked on any of them in the last few months! I'm moving to a new house with a shop (that needs a little work) but it will be the first time I will have all my cars in one place to work on!! Finish Maggie's truck (so she can drive it) get the Nova done, than back to the Dauphine!
I love your work!! Incredible is the only word to describe it.
Jason