The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #201
mrhino
Account Suspended

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

The Iroc was my first restoration Job! I did the engine Tuned port 5.0L est to be about 325 HP and 475 ftlbs of torque. Installed 4th generation Leather seats and Dyed them to match the custom Ultra leather interior, and did most of the body work myself (No rust so it was a little easier). a friend actually laid the paint and clear. Once again the whole family was involved, and we had a great time building it. It was a blast to drive. it took first place at the All Camaro nationals in 2003 and had a small write up in Super Chevy magazine. I sold it to a gentleman, who drove it home to Texas and Greg and his son went all the way from Canada to Texas to buy and drove it back home. They found my name in some of the receipts and contacted me about 3 years ago. Im so glad they did. It is great getting to know them a little bit and catching back up with the car and where it has been and where it is going. thank you again

Pics of the car after restoration when I owned it.

The car Now?

You guys did a great job with it. I think it looks better now. please post any more recent photos if you have any.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #202
Car'n'Guitars

Looks great, that's a good number of horsepower for a 5.0, great looking car.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #203
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
The Iroc was my first restoration Job! I did the engine Tuned port 5.0L est to be about 325 HP and 475 ftlbs of torque. Installed 4th generation Leather seats and Dyed them to match the custom Ultra leather interior, and did most of the body work myself (No rust so it was a little easier). a friend actually laid the paint and clear. Once again the whole family was involved, and we had a great time building it. It was a blast to drive. it took first place at the All Camaro nationals in 2003 and had a small write up in Super Chevy magazine. I sold it to a gentleman, who drove it home to Texas and Greg and his son went all the way from Canada to Texas to buy and drove it back home. They found my name in some of the receipts and contacted me about 3 years ago. Im so glad they did. It is great getting to know them a little bit and catching back up with the car and where it has been and where it is going. thank you again

Pics of the car after restoration when I owned it.

The car Now?

You guys did a great job with it. I think it looks better now. please post any more recent photos if you have any.
Thanks Mike. That is essentially how it looks now.
My son has put it in storage in my garage the past year and a half. He got married and has a daughter now. Priorities, but he is hanging onto it. Heck, I will buy it off him if he ever needs to sell it just so it is available to him.

He still drops by now and then to start it and dream a little.
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #204
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Quote:
Thanks Greg, this is exactly how the IROC went together. almost the same process, and in same garage everything. minus digital pictures and a build thread for the world to see. I forgot but do you guys have pictures of the build? by the way I am still very proud of that car.
There was a binder that came with the car that had pictures and information.
I suspect you put that together.
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #205
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'n'Guitars View Post
Looks great, that's a good number of horsepower for a 5.0, great looking car.
Yea it was. it would move. it had lots of tricks done to the plenum, runners, and manifold. plus a full race port and polish job done to the aftermarket world products heads. Even the headers were ported to match the exhaust port. The cylinders were "eyebrowed", to match the combustion chamber. The cam was perfect for a small displacement engine. I Like I said it is a fun car to drive. and it got 27 mpg on the highway. It was built to be a torque monster. Im hoping to accomplish the same Thing with debs truck this time around.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #206
mrhino
Account Suspended

Out in the sun.

It just doesent seam natural to take sand paper to a new paint job. I hope to have that knocked out by the end of the weekend.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #207
Low Elco

Very nice Camaro, I like it with the Chrome Irocs. Truck looks great! You gonna try to shoot again by this weekend?
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #208
truckzilla

Thumbs up Re: Build #2 Crusader!

Quote:
Thanks Greg, this is exactly how the IROC went together. almost the same process, and in same garage everything. minus digital pictures and a build thread for the world to see. I forgot but do you guys have pictures of the build? by the way I am still very proud of that car.
You have every right to be proud of that car! Just like the truck you built and are building! Awesome workmanship!
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #209
mrhino
Account Suspended

today 11/11/12 It is one year to the day I started this build. I wish I could say I was closer to being done. but Thats just the way it goes . Since I last posted about the truck I was wet sanding. Guess what... Im still wet sanding. the last time it was so I could put on a final coat of clear and be done. Well I laid down the first coat. It turned out great, but on the second coat, I got in a hurry and Ran the sh!t out of it. So now here I am. Wet sanding again!

Started with Scraping all the runs off witha razor blade. than moved on to paper 1000, 1500 then finished with 2000 grit. Then buffed with a couple different pads. I used wizards buffing compound. The guy at the paint store recommended it, so i gave it a shot. It works pretty good. it works a little different than regular compound and takes a little getting use to how it cuts but for the most part, Im liking it.

Also got the hood, cowl, grill, fuel doors, tailgate and door panel inserts all painted and cleared

Since this is debs truck, and she wanted people to know that this a "chicks truck" we decided to add a little pink, breast cancer awareness pink to be exact. I think it turned out pretty cool. what do you guys think?

Well thats where were at after a years time. I think we got a lot accomplished, this past year. all the brakes, steering and suspension are done, the floor is modified for the seats, and they should just drop in. The frame was cut and welded for the short bed. Oh the Body work. 5 long months on Body work, Im so glad to be almost done with all the body work.
I cant wait to start the interior work real soon. Im putting in new carpet, a new headliner, and all of the trim, where there wasn't any. and we still have the engine to build. hopefully It will start looking like a completed truck, instead of a bunch of pieces scattered all over my house.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #210
Car'n'Guitars

That thing is looking awesome, I don't care what other have to say but I like the pink on it and I would drive the truck with the pink on it.
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #211
truckzilla

Her truck is really looking killer Mike! I think the awareness pink is quite appropriate for a chick's truck. Keep up the awesome work my friend!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #212
Low Elco

Looks great!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #213
87Jimmy4JP

Just went through the whole build and WOW!...what a great job...

I would say you got a lot done in a relatively short time......

awesome paint by the way.....

JP
87Jimmy4JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #214
gtdownonit

Do you have any kits left?

Quote:
Yes, I just got the insulation aka sound deadner today I have amost 900 sq ft of it so I hope you guys will be needing some. Im working on getting package quanities and shipping boxes. Im thinking of putting together kits like Dynamat does a 12 sf , 36 sf and then ill add 60sf for the crew cab guys. all will be much, much cheaper than dynamat extream.

gtdownonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #215
Gooker928

I also need a kit for a regular cab and a door kit if you still have any.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gooker928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #216
67cheby
67cheby

truck is looking GREAT !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #217
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooker928 View Post
I also need a kit for a regular cab and a door kit if you still have any.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes i have some. sounds like you want a 48sq ft kit. ill pm you the details
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #218
truckzilla

Talking Re: Build #2 Crusader!

You guys need to get some of Mike's sound deadener! It's excellent stuff. It's just as good as that much more expensive name brand butyl rubber coated, self adhesive, thin aluminum stuff and since I don't plan on driving my truck around without carpet, having Brand D's name stencilled all over it means squat-o-la!
Get it now or pay more somewhere else later; I'm just saying! If I could, I'd pick up enough for another project, but I gotta finish this one first.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #219
Igorsgonemadd

Hey Mike, I'd like some sound deadner to do my crewcab, can you pm me some details, thanks! Btw, truck looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Igorsgonemadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #220
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
truck is looking GREAT !
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
You guys need to get some of Mike's sound deadener! It's excellent stuff. It's just as good as that much more expensive name brand butyl rubber coated, self adhesive, thin aluminum stuff and since I don't plan on driving my truck around without carpet, having Brand D's name stencilled all over it means squat-o-la!
Get it now or pay more somewhere else later; I'm just saying! If I could, I'd pick up enough for another project, but I gotta finish this one first.
Thank you for the plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorsgonemadd View Post
Hey Mike, I'd like some sound deadner to do my crewcab, can you pm me some details, thanks! Btw, truck looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
pm sent
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #221
mrhino
Account Suspended

Finally finished all the cutting and buffing. here are a few pics of the finish.

the flash shows even the smallest of dust

well now that thats done I can move on to other stuff. like wireing and putting in all the power locks and windows where there wasn't any before. um sounds like fun. Hey ill take anything as long as its not freaking sanding right!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #222
Car'n'Guitars

Truck looks awesome I look forward to seeing this around town.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #223
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Your paint and body Jedi Force is very strong.

Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #224
dhaymaker

^^^ What he said!!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #225
Big Tex

I agree with TxFireFighter!! You're two builds have about convinced me to go with SPI for my paint products. Anything you'd have done different as far as material or supplies? I haven't painted anything since the late 90's, and when I go into a paint store, kinda feel like I have "sucker" tatooed on my forehead, or I'm wasting their time since I'm not a body shop. I'd like to buy local, but want good customer service and answers/advice. SPI says that their customer service is great, what do you think?