The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
DnvrJay71

emergecy help needed

I'm painting my truck this weekend and need some advice.
I've sprayed 2 coats of epoxy primer and then a couple coats of 2k high build primer. I didn't get enough high build so I'm planning on spraying another coat before the paint...... HOWEVER
In the block sanding process I burned through a couple high spots.... leaving a few quarter sized spots of bare metal. Do I need to start over with the epoxy primer for the bare metal? Will 2k high build primer be ok direct to metal?
I thought about just going to home depot and getting a can of self etching primer and just squirting those spots before the final coat of 2k high build. what should I do. I need to get it painted this weekend.
DnvrJay71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: emergecy help needed

I am not a painter, not even close, but I wouldn't go to Home Depot and buy a can of primer. I would use something that you know is compatible with the other paint products you are using.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
MilkyJoe

use self etching primer from an auto store-

Use Dupli-Color or any other name brand. Just hit the bare spot and before paint, sand it smooth and tack cloth it. Then let the paint fly. You'll be golden pony boy
MilkyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
hugger6933

You only have two coats of hi-build? I would mix up a tiny amount of e-prime fog in the burn spots then after it has ample time to dry I'd spray at least one good coat of high build. I am assuming [we all know what happens when we do that]the surface was taken to bare metal with the fact that you have bald spots and that you used e-prime to begin with. I would say to get a mil thickness to be favorable for a good paint job you may need the extra coats for build up. When I strip[ now this is just me and what works for my shop] I go 2-3 coats of e-prime [the body work get the first by itself because of the soak rates of the primer]. Then I go 2 coats of hi-build. Then I da sand with220 grit to get your basic smoothness. Thenn 2 more coats of hi-build for blocking with 400 wet. then I am as Spongebob says "I'm ready, I'm ready". So, to recap as you probably have gotten either lost or bored with my rambliings I say you need more primer.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
DnvrJay71

Hugger6933...... Thanks That's exactly what I needed to know!
BTW 69 hugger orange is what I'll be painting it ;-)
I never had even seen welding before i picked up the torch and welded my rockers and door frames.... I had never seen a grinder before I tried cutting out all the old rust. I had never picked up a paint sprayer before I sprayed my primer.......... so if this all even HALFWAY turns out..... thank you.
Attached Images

DnvrJay71 is offline   Reply With Quote