The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #26
aggieguy713

Re: How much to expect to pay for a nice paint job?

Paid $3500 and some change for this. Inside and out. did a good job, smaller shop, great guys, great work. As others have said, look into the smaller shops, they do just as good of work as the others do, if not better.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #27
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Think of it in this form. Those guys at MAACO, spray paint all day long, every working day of the year. They are good at what they do. Where everyone fails with MAACO and Earl Scheib, is that they just take the old clunker to them and ask for a new paint job, and that is what they get, along with minimal body prep. If you do the prework and get the body ready and align with them to clean the paint good before they spray it, the result is great.
Bingo. The Maaco here in town has been owned by the same family since 1987. ALL of their painters have been there since 1987. I have had them paint several of my vehicles and have been VERY pleased with their work. I did all the prep, remove all the moldings, etc. They do offer 2 stage paint jobs, with a 5 year warranty. I took my truck in for an estimate and it was $4000, with NO body work. Maaco shops are independently owned and operated, so you may very well end up with a crap job. It is best to ask around for opinions.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #28
72cheyenneman

For you guys who are using your trucks as daily drivers, $3,500 and change is not a bad price for a paint job. I'm painting my truck and the material ALONE, base coat & clear coat, cost me about $2,300. Yes, you do have to be careful who you take your car or truck to because I've been in this catch-22 myself. As particular as I am about my classic cars and trucks, I would like to get a good deal but I always go over cost in body work and paint. To do an extremely good job, let's face it--it costs big $$$ and these guys have the shop, tools, and know-how, and they want to be paid $40-$60 an hour (some more). Nobody wants to work for nothing, and I can't blame them. I'm far from being rich, but I do take my restorations seriously and know that I can't do it myself. To me, I wouldn't go to an eye doctor for a heart problem...that's how I view restoration work. The job would get done, but probably not to my satisfaction.

All's said, $3,500 for a paint job is really not a bad deal and actually kinda cheap, especially considering the cost of materials. I may be wrong, but I can't see them doing an A+ paint job for $3,500. I'd take daily driver to these folks, but not my classics.
72cheyenneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #29
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Im pretty pleased , throwing todays pics out their no more hi-jacking :

1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #30
324matt

So, i stopped by a mom.and pops body shop the other day here in my home town, and asked for a quote for a base coat/clear coat paint job. The old guy asked if i would be doing all the prep work, removing all of the door handles, chrome trim.ect ect. Ect.. And i said yes. I also said i would be having the truck media blasted all the way down to bare metal prior to paint. All rubber seals would be removed and everything.

So, the old guy lit himself a new cigarette, looked at me and said about $7,000.

I said.with me doing all the prep work? He said yep, if I have to prep it $10,000.

I respectfully said ok and thanks for his time and left.

I only paid half of that for the truck. Are you kidding me? I will buy all the painting equipment and take a 2yr course at the community college for $10,000.

Really?
Posted via Mobile Device
1985 GMC K2500. 350/TH400/208. 4:10's. stock.
1987 Chevy V30. 454/TH400/205 4:10's. Stock SOLD.
324matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #31
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 324matt View Post
So, i stopped by a mom.and pops body shop the other day here in my home town, and asked for a quote for a base coat/clear coat paint job. The old guy asked if i would be doing all the prep work, removing all of the door handles, chrome trim.ect ect. Ect.. And i said yes. I also said i would be having the truck media blasted all the way down to bare metal prior to paint. All rubber seals would be removed and everything.

So, the old guy lit himself a new cigarette, looked at me and said about $7,000.

I said.with me doing all the prep work? He said yep, if I have to prep it $10,000.

I respectfully said ok and thanks for his time and left.

I only paid half of that for the truck. Are you kidding me? I will buy all the painting equipment and take a 2yr course at the community college for $10,000.

Really?
Posted via Mobile Device

Good Luck with that course on body work and painting. We need more people in the world that will do work for the restoration people.

However, my bet is that you will find that the old "Pop", was not that far out into the weeds with his price quote. He is probably proud of his trade and has the experience to make the job done right. A $7000.00 paint job (Just the Paint work only) today is gobbled up by the cost of the material, the cost of what his guns and tools, and his years of experience. What is his overhead on his shop? Does he have a mortgage to pay at the end of the month, and does he have a family to feed while he is giving up his time to do the "ONE" large job instead of 10 little insurance jobs. Those insurance jobs take less time and for the most part the owners of the cars don't really care how good the job is, just so it is done so they can go trade the car off.

I see that you live in Illinois. If that is the Northern part of the state, a vehicle will not last very long due to the hard winters and the way a lot of people care for them with the heavy solt used on the highways. It is just a fact of life that part of the country destroys cars fast. I would also guess that the cost of living in your area is higher than what I or many of the rest of us have to deal with. If you live in Southern part of Illinois, life may be a little better, but it IS Illinois non the less. Been There, seen it, and not going back soon.

Once again Good Luck.

P.S. Try going to Earl Scheib or Maaco for a good paint job---AFTER you do the body work. They spray paint all day long and I am sure that they can do a fair job.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
custom86
Account Suspended

Hey matt shoot me a pm and we can get you a fair price over the phone. I know i can get it done way under 7 and it will be show quality paint.
custom86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #33
WAAF
Account Suspended

i'll take that 1800.00 macco job over some of the horror stories of paint jail from "pro"(pffft) shops..
family member just painted a car in garage.. black.. and it looks fine..
it's in the prep... same guy's work beat out pro jobs that are 10k and up.. for best paint.. and it came out of a 2 car garage.. with a industrial fan on/in the back wall..
thats it..
if you are going to drive it. and really drive it.. costly jobs are a waste.. they still get rock chips, etc.. to many cars/trucks become garage queens because the owner just had to have that lazer straight perfect paint with the highest cost materials used..
they sit in garage with a COVER over them.. and then when taken out.. that 400hp engine is driven like your going to a funeral... for some thats bliss.. some ,after paying that much on paint fear getting a chip in the paint so it sits, then it ends on ebay..
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #34
rideair

I doing a 1986 Chevy K30 Crewcab 4x4 and getting ready to have MACCO laid down the paint (that I'm supplying). The route taken was the following, I and a friend took the truck down to bare cab, doors off, glass out doors/cab, dash out, hood off, etc... was stripped and body work done. I'm now having a body guy give it the one last look over and apply primer and final block sand (working on the side after hours at a reduce cost). When he is finished, we will take it to MACCO to spray using PPG base/clear. After paint is done it goes back to the body guy for final buff.

Even doing the body work myself, contracting final touch and paint out, I'll still have $5,000 in prep/paint/supplies not including all new lights (cab, turn, side, etc..), grill, door/window rubber, carpet, seat covers, dash pad, etc... and then the time to put it all back together.

Some may say, why take it to MACCO after all that work and money?? I've seen the guy that paints at MACCO's work and he's good at laying down the paint.

Paul Waddell
Front Royal, VA
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #35
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Good work comes from experience. The guy at MAACO lays down paint all day long, pretty much every day, so he has the experience. It is your choice of what you put in front of him and what the final result is. If you prep the vehicle right, then the paint job will be good.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #36
2dwn4u

I have been doing body and paint now for 23 yrs. I am a true believer you get what you pay for, but then again not everybody has deep pockets and not everyone can afford to have show quality body and paint work, its all time and material cost. At the shops here were I do work minimum body and paint work starts at $15k and goes up from there, shop charges 100hr. Production shops can charge 1500-7000 to do a truck because they are not looking for quality they are looking at volume fast money. I would rather have my cars looking patina then having a ****ty body and paint work. Good luck on your findings.
2dwn4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
CC69Rat

^ Wow, can we see some pics of a $15k paint job? What type of cars are you painting?
Posted via Mobile Device

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #38
2dwn4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
^ Wow, can we see some pics of a $15k paint job? What type of cars are you painting?
Posted via Mobile Device
$15k includes bodywork the painting is the easy part, this 65 riv has over $150k in the build and way over 15k in body and paint .
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
2dwn4u

The owner of this truck has also spent way over 15k in body and paint and it truely shows every gap is perfect.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #40
CC69Rat

Just to clarify - I wasn't questioning the Integrity of your work, I just wanted to see the cars

Looks great man. I'd be afraid to drive it though. Just sayin ..

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #41
66swb327

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dwn4u View Post
$15k includes bodywork the painting is the easy part, this 65 riv has over $150k in the build and way over 15k in body and paint .
2dwn4u i agree. it takes a lot of man hrs to get every gap perfect and every panel blocked out so the light reflects perfect. Ive spent days and sometimes weeks just welding on the edge of doors and fenders to get a 3/16th gap. It doesn't take long to get to 15k w/ a 75-100 an hr shop rate. btw the buick looks awesome!
66swb327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #42
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Just to clarify - I wasn't questioning the Integrity of your work, I just wanted to see the cars

Looks great man. I'd be afraid to drive it though. Just sayin ..
I agree 100%...you get what you pay for. That Buick and truck look absolutely incredible...pieces of art ...but I would never drive either one of them.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #43
2dwn4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66swb327 View Post
2dwn4u i agree. it takes a lot of man hrs to get every gap perfect and every panel blocked out so the light reflects perfect. Ive spent days and sometimes weeks just welding on the edge of doors and fenders to get a 3/16th gap. It doesn't take long to get to 15k w/ a 75-100 an hr shop rate. btw the buick looks awesome!
I am in the process of helping my cousin build his 1950 chevy truck and he is already tired of welding, its been a long process but tonight we got the first coat of high build primer on the cab and he is so excited. I have a build thread going on, its titled (back on the 1950 after 10 yrs being stopped)would like to see pictures of your truck.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #44
mrchevy1950

I've been to George's (2dwn4u) shop and have seen the Rivi' at Goodguys Pleasanton and at the shop and believe me this ain't no MACO job. They also had a old VW in the shop that looked like the paint was still wet. If you've seen great jobs and MACO jobs side by side, you will know the difference. I agree it is expensive but spend just a week at your job and tell me how much you get paid as a professional "whatever" and think about doing one paint job for 6 months or more compared to MACO 3 day turn around and it starts to make sense.

Last edited by mrchevy1950; 01-07-2012 at 12:58 AM.
mrchevy1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #45
2dwn4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchevy1950 View Post
I've been to George's (2dwn4u) shop and have seen the Rivi' at Goodguys Pleasanton and at the shop and believe me this ain't no MACO job. They also had a old VW in the shop that looked like the paint was still wet. If you've seen great jobs and MACO jobs side by side, you will know the difference. I agree it is expensive but spend just a week at your job and tell me how much you get paid as a professional "whatever" and think about doing one paint job for 6 months or more compared to MACO 3 day turn around and it starts to make sense.
Earl,

That sucks no one told me you came by, the bug you seen belong to a buddy of mine and he got the hook up on that, to bad the color doesn't show well on pics but heres a sample of that wish you would have seen the bug I built for my little sis hers is the blue one
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #46
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

$1800-$5000

Do some research in the "search" box above educating yourself about the paint and body shop possibilities. There are lots of threads about folks experiences with paint and body shops. Search "paint jail" and "crooks" , "body shops", or "paint jobs". You are now researching what unfortunatly can becomes the worst part of a build..... be very carefull where you go. A good way to tell what kind of shop you are going to is by looking at all the unfinished cars at the shop. Most shops take collision/insurance work in and turn it while putting older stuff on the back burner. NEVER, NEVER pay ahead of time, get a schedule in writing along with a section mentioning they have to stay on schedule or you can remove the vehicle at your choosing without a mechanics lien being placed on the vehicle. Make payments after each section is done. Body work, finished primer, and them final payment after its sprayed and buffed. I have found doing this normally weeds out the folks that intend on keeping your vehicle for more than a reasonable amount of time.

With that said..not all body shops are like this. There are lots of stand up shops and word of mouth from CUSTOMERS is going to be the way to find a good one. It took me going through about 10 shops and 20 years to find a stand up operation and I have now sent probably 10-15 personal jobs and referred 75 or more to them.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!

Last edited by 72freak; 01-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #47
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Here is an example of some of the vehicles in my area. I own the truck with the flames and I know the other guys, well. There is definitely not a MAACO paint job in this set of photos. Most of these had the work done by the owners and the paint applied by someone that knows the true art.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #48
2dwn4u

Frank,

Nice Trucks!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #49
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 324matt View Post
My truck is in need of a paint job. Its a 1987 SRW V30 4x4. Its in immaculate shape body wise and is in dire need of a good paint job. I want the same 2tone factory colors, and original red/black pinstripe put back on. Whats my best option? How much am i lookin at $$?
1. Should i contact body shops?
2. Does maco do good work?
3. Should i take off the emblems/rubber seals/grill/lights/trim/bumpers ect ect ect ahead of time, or let the painter do it all?
4. Im leary of just some guy in his garage painting it. I dont want it butchered.
5. Im not looking to win trophys at a car show, i just want a good protective paint job.

Please, ANY suggestions will help.!

Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Before we get way off track with the Maaco haters ,, i refer to the original posters question . I would also like to direct you to the picturs of the truck , which desite being super straight and clean , is on a gravel drive way , Taking this and the original question back in perspective . Here is a good day shot of my $1800 Daily driver 5 year warrany paint job . My truck was /is in nearly the same condition . These are cell phone pics and i have yet to wax it with my porter cable which will make it better .

1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #50
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Consider these items for you question on paint cost. First of all ANYTHING that you do is a discount at the paint shop ANY paint shop. Stripping the truck of emblems, lights, and trim items is something that he is going to charge for, why pay for that. Also if there is a guy that does it in his garage, you should consider that person, but only after you have a result of his work and how many people will provide him as a source of good work. Now for MAACO, You DO get what you pay for, but if you plan ahead and do all of the body work and prep, the MAACO guy sprays paint all day long every working day of the week, so he is undoubtedly more experienced than your guy down the street. MAACO fails in quality ONLY due to people taking a vehicle in and asking for a repaint, but not specifying what grade of paint work they want. If you were to do the sanding, Oh and YES it is a tough task, but that is why they charge a lot for doing it, the painter only has to mask off the vehicle and spray, then you get the paint done at a fair cost. Check with them before showing up at the entrance with your truck. I don't have MAACO in my area so if I want something done for a complete paint job, I have to rely on local paint shops or others that want to do that type of work. Personally, I want to be involved in my bodywork, so that I know what is there and that it is done right. I tend to spend time with my painters and learn their abilities, before commiting to them.