The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
sircrunch

Parts needed to convert to POWER brakes and steering?

I have a 75 GMC Sierra Grande 2wd shortbed that I just purchased. This truck was built without power steering and had no power brakes. Is there a tutorial or part list online anywhere that shows exactly which specific parts I need to make the switch? I want it to look factory, no billet, no fancy rack and pinion, etc etc. Just standard parts. Thank you in advance!
sircrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
wilkin250r

Re: Parts needed to convert to POWER brakes and steering?

I don't think there is a "one-stop shop" for everything you're asking for. I haven't searched, but I doubt there is a "How to convert a 1975 Chevy C10 to power steering" tutorial on Youtube.

However, I CAN tell you that the information is here, in the pages of this forum and the knowledge of it's members. You can do this, we can help. So let's start simple, and one question at a time.

Where do you want to start first, steering or brakes?

What resources do you have? Do you have access to a You-Pull-It or similar type of junkyard? Are you willing to buy new parts? What research have you done already?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
barry1982

I have installed both power brakes, and power steering on numerous vehicles.
In my opinion, the easiest thing for you to do is find a "donor" truck at wrecker, and basically strip everything you need. Ex: Steering box, P/S pump , brackets /bolts that hold it on engine, pulleys off harmonic balancer & waterpump,v belt,
master cylinder, vacuum booster, vacuum take off intake & hose and rod that connects to your brake pedal. You have a 75, parts should work from 73- 80 or so.
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
sircrunch

I'm interested in buying these parts if anyone has them let me know.
sircrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
74CustomK20

I literally just put new pump brackets and all on my 74 k30. I got a power steering pump for a 75 chevy with press on pulley, If you want bolt on get a 74 or 73. Get a pressure line, the return is just vacuum hose. I ordered a steering gear box for a 74. It bolts straight to the frame. I ordered a chrome universal kit from summit along with a new pump cap. All in all I'm about... 300 bucks out of pocket, so far. I'm going new drag links but same pitman arm. From what I researched you can reuse all other hard parts that move and stuff. You might need different pully though as you didn't have it and will now...
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
flashed

For my 74 I found a donor truck fot the power booster and bought a new master cylinder ,still looking for some of the power steering parts as mine is a 6 cylinder which makes the power steering parts a little harder to find .You may also need the brake pedal from the same donor truck ,it's been a while I cant remember exactly what I used but I found the info on here using search .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote