The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
Racin_jason

front pump or kickdown cable

before i cave and remove the trans to replace the front pump seal, which may be leaking. Has anyone had a leak that appears to be coming from the front of the of the trans that came from the kickdown cable. I've read that this could happen and I'm looking for some confirmation

thanks
Racin_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
raceman6135
Dino burner

Re: front pump or kickdown cable

Which transmission?

The kickdown cable on a TH-350 is on the side of the case, not the front, so a cable leak should not spew ATF onto the pump.

Clean the transmission well, run it for a few minutes, shut it off, then carefully check again for the leak.

Note that if the leak appears to be coming from the front of the transmission, it could be the input shaft seal, or the pump-to-case seal, or any of the seals used on the bolts that hold the pump to the case. Also, although more rare, the front of the transmission pan could be leaking.

It sound like more investigation needs to be done before you proceed.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
Racin_jason

yea sorry, its a th350

it only appears to be coming from the front of the trans. I've read from others that the kickdown could leak and run around to the front making it appear as if the front pump or whatever up front was leaking.

Last fall I went around and replaced a bunch of the seals and such on the outside of the trans just as a precautionary measure. At the time the front of the trans wasnt leaking. after everything went back together I started to notice the leak. It appears only after the truck was running. Since its in no shape to drive at the moment I would periodically go out to start and warm. Thats when I noticed the leak. But i have not been able to source the leak as of yet.
Racin_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
Shugalou

Hey Jason - Another Toronto guy here- Whitby actually.

My tranny has been leaking and I have fixed a bunch of seals including the pan and I see it's still got a slow leak from the front - similar to what it sounds like you might be dealing with. I think Raceman has the areas in the front of the tranny covered for potential leaks.

You need to get under there and clean everything up so you can trace the leak better.

I am in the process of replacing the kickdown as the PO mickey moused a fix on a broken cable, when removing the cable I found there was an O ring where the cable attached to the tranny...if it is leaking from the kickdown this Oring could be the culprit.

Good luck.

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote