The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2024, 10:11 PM   #1
nxtruck

‘66 C10 turn signal help needed

Guys,
I’m helping my son-in-law get his newly acquired ‘66 C10 road ready and we have ran into an issue with the turn signals. When he got the truck a few months ago, the turn signals did work, other than having to hold pressure down on the t/s lever to make the LH turn signal work. We put a new pitman arm on the truck and this caused the steering wheel to be clocked off center. I removed the wheel to re-clock it and to look at what was causing the issue with the LH turn signal. Upon steering wheel removal, I noticed the one side of the plastic part that moves the contacts broken. I pulled the switch out, away from the column far enough that I could remove and replace the broken part on the switch and that’s when our trouble started.
When I replaced that part, I had no turn signals on either side. I pulled the new part back off of the switch and bent around on the metal contacts inside the switch. I had another switch to use as a pattern for how the contacts should look. No matter how I shaped and bent on the contacts, I couldn’t get the turn signals to work. I decided to replace the switch with a new one and ordered one from corvette columns. It’s supposed to be a better quality switch, made using AC Delco tooling. I installed it and still no turn signals. I also had a brand new Echlin brand switch from Napa sitting there, so I unplugged the one switch and, with the Napa switch sitting on my lap, plugged it in and tryed it. Nope, they still aren’t working. I checked the circuit feeding power to the switch, starting at the flasher. I pulled it and checked the feed terminal. I had 11.1 volts there with the key on. I plugged it back in and checked the switch connector under the dash and had 11.1 volts at the purple wire feeding the switch connector. I also checked the backside of the switch connector and had 11.1 volts there, too. One thing I will try is to replace the flasher, but I have power through it, so I’m not sure that will accomplish anything.
At this point, I’m out of ideas. One thing I should mention is that I have not reinstalled the steering wheel during all of this. I can’t see how that would matter, though. Am I overlooking something simple here? Probably, but for the life of me, I can’t put my finger on it. Sorry for being so long-winded here. Just hoping someone has an idea or two for me to check.
Thanks in advance!
1965 Chevy C10 LWB, 355 sbc, TH350, daily driver
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:20 AM   #2
Braunschweiger

Re: ‘66 C10 turn signal help needed

I would recommend this site, it covers the entire steering column, including the ground connection of the steering column.
https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...n-rebuild.html
Here is a simple circuit diagram of the indicator switch.
Maybe helpful.
Attached Images

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:44 AM   #3
nxtruck

Thank you for that info and that link. That’s very good information to have, especially on rebuilding a column for one of these trucks!
Old 04-24-2024, 09:45 PM   #4
duramax55

nx truks you mention column is out as you tried getting signals going. Question did you have the column grounded. that could be the problem
duramax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:05 PM   #5
nxtruck

Thank you guys for the help and input!
duramax55, no, the column is still in the truck and bolted up.

I wanted to update this thread and let you all know that I got the issue fixed. It did end up being the flasher. I picked up a flasher at our local Napa store this morning and swapped them out this evening. Once the new flasher was in, I had turn signals! The aggravating thing about it all is that the flasher that was in the truck wasn’t but 3 months old and was bought from LMC. And I’m not bashing them or anyone else, either. Just because something’s new doesn’t mean it can’t be defective.
Thanks again for the help and input!
Old 04-25-2024, 09:12 PM   #6
dmb

A bad ground will kill a flasher in a short time. Do you have a ground strap from the hood to the firewall ? And also a good ground at the rear lights.
David
Old 04-25-2024, 10:33 PM   #7
60short

this man probably has a picture ...

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...lumn-page.html
20+ year long term project in process
Lots of Rust, more memories...
60short is offline   Reply With Quote