The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2002, 04:54 PM   #1
orangechev73

running lights?

has anyone ever added the running lights (or parking lights, whichever you call them) that are on the top of the cab? i like the way they look but my cab doesn't have them. how would you hide the wiring? i have thought about adding a headliner, would that solve the problem of the wiring?
so anyway, just wondering if it's been done and how.
orangechev73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #2
hrc200x

I call them clearence lights or cab lights. It is a special cab that the lights came off of. on the '73-'87 the nuts were made into or welded under the sheetmetal, so if you were to put them on a cab that didn't have them, you'd have to use something that would hold good. I thought maybe of using those clips that are all over on the dash. maybe they would work, the wiring goes down the post between the windshield and the door on the driver side and you'll see a hole sort of up by the parking brake, but up underneith further. From there it plugs into the light swith, when you get teh wiring ran take out the light switch and put a test light up to the open prongs and see which one lights up when you pull the light lever out to the first and second position. I'm also planning on putting lights on, but need to do it right the first time because I dont' want to ruin my $600 cab. Also, the roof isn't one pice of sheet metal, like if you drill a hole on the outside of the cab it won't go through to the inside unless you go through two pieces of metal, so it won't matter if you have a headliner or not.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #3
Ratpowerd67

ive done 6 or 7 3/4 tons. mine and all my buddys too. its easy. run a hot wire thru the dash,up the windsheild pillar behind the windshield weather striping,thruh the visor hole, and up to the lights. use a black wire and you will not notice it.lay the lights where you want them, drill the holes, use sheemetal screws. before you tighten them doun, you have to fish the hot wire to each light. one wire will work, just splice all the lights on that one line. after you conect the wire to the light, screw it doun. simple and easy. i used 88 tru 99 lights on mine, there sweet...rat
Ratpowerd67 is offline   Reply With Quote