The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Part Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #1
LILREDGMC

1958 Chevrolet Viking 40 Tow Truck

I have been caretaker for this truck for a close friend who now resides in Colorado. It is a Viking 40 series, big fender, 4 Speed V-8, Tow Truck and has a Manley 6 Ton rig on the back. Terry converted it over to a wheel lift style several years ago. Last fall I stripped, acid etched, self etch primed, high build primed and topcoated the hood with PPG Concept single stage white urethane. It was purchased from an older man, when Terry had a repair shop. He was the original owner and from Wilmerding PA. For the right person, it could be a neat addition to a part time business or even a hobbyist. It has thin paint which is trying to surface rust on all horizontal surfaces. The drivers side fender has some rust in front of the eyebrow area, and at the very bottom near the cab. The truck will need better tires to travel any distance, and I've been trying to locate some newer radial or non radial casings for an upgrade from some local towing shops who use the same size on their tow trucks.

Looking for a reasonable offer for this rig. Anyone have any interest or know of a friend or neighbor who could both preserve, use and or restore this Chevrolet.

Would prefer email responses if possible. Pictures are attached.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

LILREDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
LILREDGMC

Tires

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa. I located 6 radial 19.5 Goodyear tires, 4 lug tread, 2 highway tread with about 35% remaining life and sidewalls that don't almost show the air. The old hoops had good tread but the sidewalls were a concern for failure. Now it looks like the late model radials will get installed; guess I better update the wheel paint while I'm there. Next after revisiting the picture, I think I'll pull the grill out and get it updated into white once again. Somebody out there needs this classic truck. Where oh where are they??? Thanks for spreading the word to others!
Old 01-02-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Keep Going, You'll have it restored!

Hey, keep up the good work, and you'll soon have a nice restored Viking 40 Wrecker!

I worked at a Chevy garage in High School, They had one like yours. Matter of fact I got hooked on it a couple of times when I did stupid stuff!! LOL (like getting stuck in a field at the bottom of a steep hill) Boy to be so young again! Ha Ha!

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #4
LILREDGMC

Restored ? One part at a time

Rico-How true. Oh to be young again. It wouldn't take too much but then the other items might get further back on the list. My brother had a fellow over on Sunday and we feel he is quite interested. He wants it without the wheel lift adapter, to make into more of an antique tow truck. So we will see. I hate to see it deteriorate in the weather. It needs a coat of paint to seal it from the elements and protect the spread of surface rust.

Like you said, one little part at a time. Soon it might be done.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:02 PM   #5
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking A towing we will go!

LIL-RED, I hope he does take it on. And it would be good to see it with a big winch and hook! Good luck. Thanks for sharing with the board!
rico_bob

http://www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
(55-59 parts and other neat stuff)

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

I could preserve and use that beauty of a truck! I just know I could not give you a reasonable offer of any type for it at this time since I just bought a new house! Sorry!!! But some one should be willing to jump on the chance to make themself a unique piece of history out of that truck! I bet it could be a good trophie winner with a good restoration!
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:29 PM   #7
LILREDGMC

Thanks for the response. It could be a neat piece, but it it's not going in a direction that I want to go. If we had unlimited time and money I would redo it but both are in limited supply, as well as storage. So, someone, somewhere may decide to go forward and preserve/restore it. Keep your eyes and ears open and forward all prospects.