The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #8426
jbassC10

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

I attached my New LMC Tailgate!! Having a little trouble with the handle? It's mounting bolt holes were mounted like a 1/8 to high....soo when everything it tighten up I can't pull the handle all the way out to open the tailgate because the top of the handle hits the top of the tailgate opening where the handle is mounted into the tailgate :-( all I can figure is dremel/re-drill the hole a tad bit lower to remounted the handle lower? Any tips??
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #8427
Mike_The_Grad

OK so been putting off this chore of cleaning, having an idea of what to expect since doing the passenger side (7 hrs.), this side was way worse. After 7 hrs. Still not finished. Hence no finish pic. P.S. you should never be able to pull a piece of road grime/dirt/oil like this from any vehicle, even if you own a 4x4... I'm just saying. And because neither PO took care of under carriage the job is left to me. But the way I'm looking at is I'm taking weight off the truck,which will result in better mpg's and faster ETA's (I've already removed SIX pounds from just the A-arms, I weighed it!)
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #8428
bbcmudtruck

Pictures of the old bed off and c-notches in. Next is getting the fuel cell mocked into place.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #8429
bbcmudtruck

Almost got my dash cluster finished last night.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #8430
bbcmudtruck

Finally got the little temporary motor all set in place. All thats left to do in the engine bay is clean up the wire routing. I think im going to relocate the battery to the rear of the truck under the bed somewhere as well.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #8431
bbcmudtruck

Sorry im on the road and loading the pics from my phone. 1 at a time!
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #8432
legotech7

Hay bbcmudtruck, looking good. Could you tell me where you got the fuel cell at and how you plan on installing it. I plan on lowering my truck as well, and could use a little help as to the fuel cell. Any help input at all would be very much appreciated....

Thanks, and have a Happy Thanksgiving....
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #8433
bbcmudtruck

Thanks lego! The fuel cell actually came with the truck. It was just mounted in the old bed. After measuring it, it comes in very close to the relocated tank that lmc sells. Im just going to cut out the spare tire cross member and fab up some straps to tuck it in under the bed. I have some old racing fu3l cells from the mudtrucks but they are too small for a street vehicle. This one is 17 gallons and should fit perfectly. I will update the progress as I get it mounted. I got my new bed sitting here waiting to be mounted so im putting the rear of the truck at priority right now. Still need to build some new brake lines and por the frame while the bed is off. Plus I need to redo the drivers side shock mount while im in there. I can get you the exact measurements off the tank if you need them. You can get them from summit or jegs with sending units. I had this one hooked up and had the sending unit working perfectly on an equiis gauge before tear down began.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #8434
bbcmudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Very nice work heathbirkendahl! Looks great
This is one of the best looking g bench seats ive ever seen! Did you carve out the foam yourself? Did you have an upholstery shop cover it, or did you do it yourself? A+
Old 11-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #8435
VWNate1

Post Re : Tailgate Fun

I'd think dressing the opening in the sheet metal a little bit might be the easier way to go....

For those who relocate the battery , remember to always use heavier cables , 1 or 0 gauge is perfect , I use welding cable and have the weld supply shop solder on the ends for me NAPA etc. all sell the solder on typ of clamps and eyelets ~ even in stock , using 1 gauge battery cables makes such an improvement you cannot believe it until you try it ~ faster starts hot or cold , longer battery and starter life too .

Best of all , got an early Christmas Present yesterday : on 12/18 Kasier is going to operate on my spine in my neck .

I'm stoked .

Keep these wonderful photos and works coming ! they're all great to read

-Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbassC10 View Post
I attached my New LMC Tailgate!! Having a little trouble with the handle? It's mounting bolt holes were mounted like a 1/8 to high....soo when everything it tighten up I can't pull the handle all the way out to open the tailgate because the top of the handle hits the top of the tailgate opening where the handle is mounted into the tailgate :-( all I can figure is dremel/re-drill the hole a tad bit lower to remounted the handle lower? Any tips??
Old 11-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #8436
legotech7

Thanks bbcmudtruck, for the quick response. I have a LMC tank in it already that the PO put in under the bed, but it sits way to low for my liking. I plan to bag my truck with the C notch and dropped spindles, so the tank as to go up a bit, flush with the bed perhaps and to make things easier I will also be taking the bed off. Did you do a static drop or bag it as well?......

Thanks again......
Old 11-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #8437
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: Re : Tailgate Fun

[QUOTE
Best of all , got an early Christmas Present yesterday : on 12/18 Kasier is going to operate on my spine in my neck. I'm stoked.
[/QUOTE]

Well, great news on the operation. You won't believe how much of an improvement it will make. Faster starts hot or cold.
And longer "starter" life, too.

Congrats. You'll be in my thoughts on 12/18 (also my oldest daughter's birthday...1967).
This year it'll be your B.D.
But always a rat.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #8438
bbcmudtruck

Its a static drop front and rear. The rear has the leafs relocated under the axle and up front I put 2.5" drop spindles with 3" springs. If you already have the LMC tank, I'd try to mount it up higher in the frame. I've never had my hands on one, so I can't help you out a ton there. Do you have the 21 gallon tank or the 17 gallon tank? There may be some differences in the depth of the tank between the two. If not, I'll get you the specs on my tank and you can go from there. I'm sure you can find an aftermarket fuel cell that will work!

VWNATE, thanks for the heads up on the battery. To be quite honest I was just going to run longer battery cables. I appreciate the help! One of my best friends owns a welding/fab shop so I can get some welding leads easy enough. However last time I looked at longer leads, they were pretty dam high $$$$!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #8439
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Battery cables are cheapest when you go to the Welding Supply Store and buy them off the bulk reels of welding cable then solder the ends on .

They'll even have red & black cable .

NAPA sells very good quality ends but I bet E-Bay or maybe even the Weld Supply Store can get them cheaper .

Using # 1 or 0 gauge battery cables allows 100 % of the current to reach the starter , no parasitic losses at all .

Run the ground cable to the engine or transmission , not the frame ! .

Then be sure to add grounding straps between the engine and frame , frame and cab , frame and radiator core support , frame and bed , etc. , etc. just like Generous Motors Corporation did when your rig was built ~ this ensures not only super bright headlights (even with standard seal beams) but wipers that work , radios without static on and on , blah blah blah .

A little bit of effort in your electrical system pays BIG dividends .

Me , I like to have two leads coming off the ground batter clamp ~ one goes to the engine block and t'other goes to the body , easy to do when you're making your own cables .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 11-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #8440
legotech7

If you don't mind, specs would be great. I think the tank is a 17 gallon, but it looks pretty deep and it looks like it already setting up against the bottom side of the floor bed pretty close. The PO lowered the rear a bit with blocks, and from the rear the tank just looks way too low. If bag it like I plan and notch it, I'm afraid it will just scrape the pavement. Although it will only sit low when parked. When driving it will be set at a reasonable drive height... I will be posting pics of the air build, just getting all my eggs in a basket, as it were.........
Old 11-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #8441
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
This is one of the best looking g bench seats ive ever seen! Did you carve out the foam yourself? Did you have an upholstery shop cover it, or did you do it yourself? A+
I agree...like to hear also.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #8442
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathbirkendahl View Post
Picked up my bench seat.
What does something like that cost to get done? Very nice, I want one!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #8443
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
Pictures of the old bed off and c-notches in. Next is getting the fuel cell mocked into place.
Looks like your working in a tight place for the winter. Ya got to do what ya got to do.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #8444
bbcmudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzC10 View Post
Looks like your working in a tight place for the winter. Ya got to do what ya got to do.
Extremely! We are pouring a 30x40 pad out back this winter and should have the shop up by early spring. Until then im stuffed up in a slightly bigger than 1 car garage!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #8445
magwakeenercew2jh

Did a "mock up" of the glove box door. I think it will look really good when this insert (actually, another one cut to fit exactly)
is in the "chrome edged" dash.

Also, installed the new alt. It all works now. But I had to create some clearance between the B+ terminal and the valve cover.

Too many different years' parts on FrankenRAT.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #8446
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Did a "mock up" of the glove box door. I think it will look really good when this insert (actually, another one cut to fit exactly)
is in the "chrome edged" dash.

Also, installed the new alt. It all works now. But I had to create some clearance between the B+ terminal and the valve cover.

Too many different years' parts on FrankenRAT.
nice job ... what amp is that alt.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #8447
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
nice job ... what amp is that alt.
$mall. 110 amp.
But always a rat.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #8448
mattfranklin

Pulled the 13" billet steering wheel and installed a 17" stock type wheel. With manual steering and fat tires it just makes sense.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #8449
rincones

Carpet install this week.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #8450
texjake

I replaced the vent window handle, replaced the brake pedal pad & spent way too long trying to hook up my divorced choke; first the square tab did not fit down into the pilot hole in the manifold - I had to file the re-pop piece and hone out the hole a bit in the manifold. Then I notice after I got it installed, hooked up & the engine heated up, the "loop" at the end of the bi-metal spring moves down towards the intake manifold, backwards to how my carb choke is actually set up and closes the choke flap & kills the motor & the choke linkage rod is too short. The PO replaced the original Q-jet with one from a Pontiac. Just another great day working under the hood!
Closed Thread