The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #8601
dirtyjim

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

i installed my used cpp rear coilovers
Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #8602
NobleSix

i finally re-installed the defrost hoses and vents! picked up the 2 1/2 diameter flexible kind from autozone. so much nicer on those cold mornings

R.I.P. Corey "Flattus Maximus" Smoot 11/3/11
You will be missed. Your sound lives on.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #8603
legotech7

Well guys, I appreciate all your suggestions, and I will further to try tomorrow. In another forum I found a lot information and found another way to mount the alternator. They suggest I use a different mounting brackets you can mount at mid point on the passenger side with a special lower bracket that mounts to the back of the alternator that mount off the water pump. They use these brackets with engines that don't have the drilled holes in the heads. I just might do that instead. I figured out why the bolt broke in the first place. the PO put a different engine in the truck and sort of slapped it together. It didn't have the bottom bracket that goes off the water pump, so more or less the alternator was just hanging off the top bracket and created tension and that top bolt snapped, so I will get the bottom bracket and will probably get that med point bracket and be done with it.

I will post my results either way in case anyone else gets in the same situation.
Thanks again one and all.. Great forum.......
Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #8604
sboris

Got my tow hooks and skid plate on..
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #8605
Saclandman

Tried to figure out why I'm not getting enough spark to fire up. New cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires, condenser, battery, battery cables, and coil. Rebuilt carb and plenty of gas.

Pulled the coil wire off the dizzy to check for spark, very weak and intermittent. Checked connections from starter to coil. Yellow to positive from starter, black from neg. to dizzy. TDC in #1 position. What am I missing here?

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #8606
mud.man.rj

Maybe point gap is incorrect, to wide or closed too much, .018-.022 is usual.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #8607
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saclandman View Post
Tried to figure out why I'm not getting enough spark to fire up. New cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires, condenser, battery, battery cables, and coil. Rebuilt carb and plenty of gas.

Pulled the coil wire off the dizzy to check for spark, very weak and intermittent. Checked connections from starter to coil. Yellow to positive from starter, black from neg. to dizzy. TDC in #1 position. What am I missing here?
If you have access to a dwell meter, you should have 28-32 degrees of dwell.
Did this problem arise before or after you changed the parts? If it was after, go back over the things you did again, you should be able to fix it.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd

Last edited by jayman68; 12-31-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #8608
JAM1777

I struggled putting a new oil pan and gasket on my 69 C10 longbed and went through major trials getting the motor mount bolts back in. Got everything back in and torqued the bolts to spec, added oil and started it and.............. leak city from pan?!! I love working on my truck but ive got side work going on and dont have the time right now to pull pan off again. So my baby is in the shop today and hopefully shes ready to come back to my driveway after work tomorrow
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #8609
Ridgeclimber

I got the metal work finished on the drivers side. New kick panel, floor patch panel, outer rocker, door pillar post patch panel, cab corner and new door. Then I patched a hole in the left front fender were the p/o drilled a hole to mount a antenna. Then I hung the front fender on to make sure it fits the new door. I thought it turned out ok for the first timer mechanic doing body work.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #8610
iceship

power seats in.. just need the brackets welded they are bolted in for now..
Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #8611
RustyBucket

I finished installing 4" CPP drop springs, shock relocator kit, adjustable track bar and 1.5" lowering blocks on the rear of my '71 GMC S./Stepside. It had 3" drop springs and some kinda old air shocks that with no air in 'em. I'd bought the CPP lowering stuff for my '72 Jimmy and never installed it. Truck has 255/60's on truck ralley's all the way around. I drove it a little after I finished and thought the ride was harsh. It started to rain & I put away. Hopefully after the new stuff works some it'll soften up some. It has 2.5" drop spindles and stock springs on the front. Next project is new front shocks and maybe 2" drop springs on the front.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #8612
texjake

I reinstalled my freshly painted sun visors & the A/C vents. For some reason the PO had a vanity mirror on the driver side visor & from the indentions it left on the visor it looks as if it had been there for ages. I don't think they will ever go away. I thought most of those vanity mirrors were used on the passenger side so little Mrs Molley could put her makeup on....lol Honey you look great!..lol I am still waiting on my rear view mirror to arrive. UPS will say it's delayed due to the weather & on-line Christmas shoppers...lol
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #8613
Expat_dude

Christmas presents going in

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u.../1970%20Chevy/
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #8614
DWilbur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeclimber View Post
I got the metal work finished on the drivers side. New kick panel, floor patch panel, outer rocker, door pillar post patch panel, cab corner and new door. Then I patched a hole in the left front fender were the p/o drilled a hole to mount a antenna. Then I hung the front fender on to make sure it fits the new door. I thought it turned out ok for the first timer mechanic doing body work.
Were did you get your door from. I'm thinking about new doors for my project.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #8615
BlacklandCamper

Got my old intake off, and found a list of things I need to do before I bolt my better intake down.
So, I got some parts together from my store...

Pull the old stock manifold off...

Find some not-so-nice looking water ports... Now I need to do a coolant, and oil flush.

Decided that I would wait to bolt down the new parts until after I get that crud cleaned out, but hell, I may as well mock everything up, see how it will look.

It looks nice.
Cant wait to get it running.
Attached Images

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #8616
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today!

That water jacket looks nasty , a reminder why " lifetime coolant " is a myth .

The good thing is : *you* can clean it out good as new better your own self than any shop .

Use Citric Acid powder or the neat Prestone cleaner in the yellow plastic jug ~ first flush with plain water until no loose shale or red water comes out then add the cleaner and sufficient distilled water , run it to work and back a few times , not just 30 minutes idling .

I've had a few that required a week of daily commuting for over 30 minutes each way before the red crud stopped showing up in the water .

Expect the mix to turn dead black and get thick ~ this is what you want , drain , flush a few times until you can drive it 30 minutes and the water remains 100 % clear , then you can add your 60/40 % coolant mix .

The amount of time you invest here, directly correlates to how good the job turns out ~ you're cleaning up the DPO's mess , nothing you did .

Was the inside of the valley that clean or did you clean out black oily sludge ? .
Looks like you're well on the way to having a strong runner .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #8617
BlacklandCamper

Thank you for the extra info, I was just going to back flush and fill with some brushing included.

The valley was already that clean, which surprised me. I managed to get some coolant in the oil when I pulled the old intake, so I will be draining the oil, and cleaning as much crud as I can out of those passages before I bolt on the new intake with new gaskets.

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #8618
MashTheGas 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
I reinstalled my freshly painted sun visors & the A/C vents. For some reason the PO had a vanity mirror on the driver side visor & from the indentions it left on the visor it looks as if it had been there for ages. I don't think they will ever go away. I thought most of those vanity mirrors were used on the passenger side so little Mrs Molley could put her makeup on....lol Honey you look great!..lol I am still waiting on my rear view mirror to arrive. UPS will say it's delayed due to the weather & on-line Christmas shoppers...lol
What type paint did you use to paint your sun visors with? They look really good.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #8619
MashTheGas 72

Replaced rear wheel cylinders on my 72 GMC.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #8620
RustyBucket

I put the little stainless steel vent shades over the windows on my GMC. I bought 'em at Summit in Atlanta on my way to N. Ga. for Christmas.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #8621
NobleSix

I GOT MY TITLE TODAY!!!!!!! im so floppin excited. i was flippin excited, but i got tired so now im just floppin.... its been a long, strange trip, but shes finally mine, all mine, no if's, and's, or butt's, except mine and my ole lady's on that somewhat worn bench seat. the feeling is indescribable. comparable perhaps to ones " first time ". all the blood sweat and tears i put in to her over the years on pretty much just a "maybe"... now ive gotten the sorely needed validation, and best of all, a huge green light to seriously invest the time and dead presidents into her that she deserves. i dont own a lot of stuff, or even nice stuff at that. i have the clothes on my back and some in a closet... all pretty much from high school 15+ yrs ago. the computer i type this with, a bow and some arrows to feed myself with and now my truck... not to mention the job i use to fund it all. thats pretty much me in a nutshell. what ive got, ive had to work my ass off for and it has made me appreciate it all the more. still looking to make friends with someone with the metal fabbing skills needed to get some new rockers and cab supports welded in tho. have grill and beer brewing equipment / knowledge : will travel!

i installed an led dome light from autozone. only has 3 leds and it isnt much brighter than the regular festoon. meh, for 5 bucks its ok.

also pulled off a tire that has a slow leak and cleaned up the bead sealing surface on the rim a little bit then had the tire remounted and balanced. i noticed they added more weights than what was previously on the tire. makes me wonder how accurate some of these places really are. my next plans are to mount two LT's in the rear, maybe they are a little taller when installed than the bald passenger rated goodyear's that are on there.

its miller time! i raise mine to every single one of you, keeping these awesome machines around, and im so ecxited that i get to be a part of it all!

R.I.P. Corey "Flattus Maximus" Smoot 11/3/11
You will be missed. Your sound lives on.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #8622
slowcpe

I kicked off the New Year yesterday by driving my truck to get kerosene for the garage heaters and Advance parts run.

Today I ordered my LEDs for the dash, heater, and dome light from superbrightleds.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
Old 01-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #8623
Unionwelder

Ripped out the nasty floor padding and rubber mats out of the 72' found a few holes in the drivers side, but the passenger side is perfect. Much better than I expected. Only one side to replace, not too shabby.
Attached Images

Right." -Henry Ford
1972 chevy lwb
1934 ford p/u
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #8624
Unionwelder

Don't know why that's sideways...
Right." -Henry Ford
1972 chevy lwb
1934 ford p/u
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #8625
ekgguy

Got the new-to-me bed installed. Now to finish wiring it all up tomorrow

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
Closed Thread