The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #1
FLYNAVY30

ceiling panel removal?

Decided I'm finally going to start the ceiling panel replacement project that I've been putting off for years. I've read all the threads about using the FRP board as a replacement, and plan to go that route.

My question is, what is the best way to get the spars between the panels out without breaking anything? I'm sure they're brittle after all these years, but I'm very lucky in that have a complete set.

Thanks

-Greg
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: ceiling panel removal?

I would suggest getting the cab and roof as warm as possible. A heat gun will help warm the plastic strips. Making a couple of tools to help pry them out of the channels will help. After I was done installing mine I realized that a pair of putty knives with 90 degree bends about 3/4" from the end would have helped to spread the force of prying them over a wider area. I also think that some WD40 would've helped. It did on the reinstallation.
If you do break a piece out make sure to save it so you can glue or tape it in later.
Oh! And another thing I realized when I was finished (Dhoo!) is that the front panel gets installed first and the rear panel should be removed first. Mine didn't have a factory headliner but a modified factory one when I bought it. Congratulations on have a nice complete one.

Link to what I did starting on post 283. I also had a blurb on page 10 about installating the roof.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...698377&page=12

Keep us posted on the process.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 04-07-2020 at 04:01 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Decided I'm finally going to start the ceiling panel replacement project that I've been putting off for years. I've read all the threads about using the FRP board as a replacement, and plan to go that route.

My question is, what is the best way to get the spars between the panels out without breaking anything? I'm sure they're brittle after all these years, but I'm very lucky in that have a complete set.

Thanks

-Greg

Hey Greg...I just took my panels down a couple weeks ago...and there was a learning curve I went through. I decided to start on the second panel from the front as it was smaller and pretty much a rectangle with the curves on just the side edges (and there wasn't the dome light to contend with). First I removed the chromed end pieces on the bow between the front panel and second panel by sliding the plastic outer as far to one side as I could get it (without too much force), removed one end cap, slid the plastic outer to the other side, then removed the other end. Now the screws are exposed on each end of the metal inner of the bow. I removed those two screws and gently slid one end of the metal inner up into the space above the headliner. There isn't a metal rib directly above the bow, just a void, so the headliner will flex upward with the bow. Once I got one end up there, the other went real easily and the edge of the headliner slid out from the bow then sagged back down. I left the bow up there while I removed the one screw holding the headliner panel to the metal rib then wiggled the second panel toward the front so that it dropped out from the second bow. At that point, the panel flexed in the middle and was completely out and in my hands. With that removed, it becomes really easy to see how everything interconnects (there's actually a lot of space between the headliner and inner roof). As the bows are fragile, I angled the bow using the extra space I now had and it too dropped out into my hands. After that, the rest was easy! I took out the next bow and third panel, moved up to the front panel, removed the dome light and slid that panel back and out...and saved the rear panel for last as I have rear air...and that took awhile! Of course, if you don't have rear air, just remove the bow and rear panel as you did the others. I hope this helps...and I'll include any pictures I have of the area so you will understand what I mean by having a "void".

Woody

Name:  IMG_1418.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1424.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1416.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1447.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  54.2 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

So you removed the metal rib and the plastic bow as one unit? Clever!
Old 04-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
FLYNAVY30

perfect, thanks guys!!
Old 04-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
So you removed the metal rib and the plastic bow as one unit? Clever!
Yes...had no idea how to separate the two until I had it out...so I guess I got lucky!

Woody
Old 04-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
Beach-Burban

Quote:
perfect, thanks guys!!
Hope it goes smoothly for you, Greg! I'll be going a different route than the FRB...and if it turns out okay, I'll post pictures! If it turns out badly...I'll probably still post pictures as a warning to others!!! That's down the road a bit for me, though, as I just started taking the sags out of my original headliner panels and am brainstorming what to use to fill some damaged areas?

Woody

Name:  IMG_1493.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  77.6 KB
Old 04-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
FLYNAVY30

Thanks Woody. My project came to an abrupt halt today as I'll be taking a little road trip down to Key West to complete a post maintenance test flight on one of our aircraft that's been stuck down there for a bit, then fly it home. The drive down should take two days....TBD on the test flight and return journey.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Thanks Woody. My project came to an abrupt halt today as I'll be taking a little road trip down to Key West to complete a post maintenance test flight on one of our aircraft that's been stuck down there for a bit, then fly it home. The drive down should take two days....TBD on the test flight and return journey.
Safe travels, Greg!

Woody
Old 04-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Hope it goes smoothly for you, Greg! I'll be going a different route than the FRB...and if it turns out okay, I'll post pictures! If it turns out badly...I'll probably still post pictures as a warning to others!!! That's down the road a bit for me, though, as I just started taking the sags out of my original headliner panels and am brainstorming what to use to fill some damaged areas?

Woody

Attachment 1999934
Warning hijack in progress!

I have the remains of factory headliner panel sets from 2 Burbans in my garage and you are welcome to anything that may help put yours back in. One set the PO glued fabric to so they may not be of much use.

HO455

Last edited by HO455; 04-07-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Hijack Warning
Old 04-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #11
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Warning hijack in progress!

I have the remains of factory headliner panel sets from 2 Burbans in my garage and you are welcome to anything that may help put yours back in. One set the PO glued fabric to so they may not be of much use.

HO455
I really appreciate the offer, HO455...I'll keep that in mind in case I mess up a panel beyond repair!

Woody
Old 04-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Good luck!