The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

2003 denali stereo upgrade

I just bought a used denali. It has the premium sound system from the factory and it works but I have gotten used to having the bluetooth for my phone and an aux port to plug my mp3 player into. I've looked at a couple head units, I don't need a touch screen, so a double DIN head unit with CD and radio is fine with bluetooth and aux ports.

My question is, how hard is it to install? The head unit itself is no big deal but I want to keep the steering wheel controls. I know there is a wiring kit for it.

Another possible complication is that these older models have had the onstar disabled because they were analog systems and no longer supported, and the factory stereo has rear seat controls also. I think there is a factory amp connected also.

Crutchfield sells an install kit that includes the wire harness for the steering wheel controls. Is that all I need? I saw a youtube video where a guy also had an onstar adapter, but it was a few years ago and I don't know if thats something I need or not.

I could take it to best buy or another car stereo shop for install but they want around $250 just for the install (more than the cost of the stereo), which seems ridiculous to me.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: 2003 denali stereo upgrade

Quote:
but they want around $250 just for the install (more than the cost of the stereo)
if your replacing the factory premium sound system with a less than $250 stereo
you will definitely be stepping backwards

the denali has all the warning sounds, seatbelt warning, blinker, etc... sounds run thru the stereo
plus you lose the steering wheel controls and onstar capabilities that nobody uses
oem sound systems have come a long way since the 90s, plus every system is connected thru the head unit
i'd tread carefully removing the factory head unit

for music go to mp3 cds, you can load 200+ on a mp3 cd and get 4-5 hrs of continuous music
not sure about a work around for the bluetooth phone, i have it in my 09 sierra and love it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I believe the factory radio is also tied to the anti-theft and there is a particular way you must reactivate the ecm after removing power from the OE radio-at least this is how my wife's 05 Denali is setup. I like the factory XM satellite radio so for that alone I don't care to change out head units. I had all new control buttons replaced, new bulbs in a few areas and upgraded all the speakers-thats enough for her DD.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Cooper197

So if it were me, I wouldn't change the head unit.
Instead, I'd buy 2 integration kits.

CoStar has an excellent bluetooth unit (BlueStar) that replaces the factory onStar system using those buttons, the factory microphone and factory speakers. Also will lower the speed of the A/C blower motor if it's on high for the duration of the phonecall and does all sorts of cool factory integration things. (Have one for my 2005 SRX, love it)

Then, using a kit such as an iSimple IS77, or a factory integration for a Denali/Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado/Yukon/Sierra/Escalade for the Aux port or iPod adapter.

Replacing the head units in these cars, even if done yourself, is nearly $1,000 for a quality head unit and all of the expansion modules you'll need to keep the car doing everything it's supposed to.
Just getting integration kits such as I have mentioned is much cheaper, not to mention it keeps the factory look giving thieves less of a reason to look at your rig.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
_Ogre

good info cooper on the integration kits and i missed the antitheft interlocks
Quote:
Also will lower the speed of the A/C blower motor
one feature i hate, especially on a hot day when you just got in the truck
i want a work around...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I appreciate your input. I have looked at add ons for bluetooth, etc and the cost of those adapters alone is more than the cost of a head unit. And as for the head units themselves, you don't need to spend $1000 for an upgrade. I ordered one through crutchfield for $120, double din pioneer unit that does everything the OE head unit does plus the bluetooth and aux ports. The adapters have improved over the years. Just a few years ago I would have needed at least 2 separate kits to integrate a new head unit. Now its just 1 to go along with the standard install harness. That allows the factory chimes, amp, steering wheel controls to all work through the new head unit. I think the only functionality I loose is the rear seat stereo controls, which I don't need anyway. Onstar for this year vehicle isn't functional anymore unless you get a universal kit that GM had available. And I don't need XM radio either. I used to use sirius radio many years ago but stopped after I got an mp3 player. Now there is pandora or many other apps you can download on your phone and just plug it into the aux port or link through the bluetooth.

I spent $200 for the stereo and installation harnesses. The bluetooth adapters alone are at least that much ($300 for that costar unit). I didn't want or need a touchscreen or video capabilities but those can be had for way less than $1000. Maybe I've been sold a load of crap but I doubt it. I've talked to a couple different installation people that said it would work great and the reviews online for these products is very good.

I'll install it and post the results here, good or bad.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The install was easy enough. Just connect the wires from the stereo into the adaptor then plug the truck connectors into the adaptor. For the double DIN stereo I had to cut a piece out of the original brace for the stock radio. Steering wheel controls work and are also programmable if you don't like the base settings. The onstar works if it were still active. Chimes work. Sounds great going through the stock amped bose system. The bluetooth works for calls perfectly. The new stereo has an aux port and USB port on the face. I'm very happy with it.

The only trouble I had was a faulty adapter. Sound was cutting out on the left side. Crutchfield sent a new one. If I had wanted XM radio I could have bought a head unit with that for about another $40-50.

If anyone wants my old head unit, pay for shipping and it's yours.