The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
'68 Pieces

replacing outer rockers problem

has anyone else had problems with the rocker panels from LMC truck not fitting very good?? im sure im not the only one

darn these taiwanarabajapawan parts, lol

what have u guys done to solve it? rework them a bit?

i replaced the cab corner on the driverside, and the door pillar already, now when i go to mock up the outer rocker panel, it hits the cab corner on the inside door jamb on the bottom, its starting to pi$$ me off, lol

gonna end up taking the grinder to it if i cant figure out any other way.
" If you dont know where to start, go back to the beginning "
'68 Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
dyrt

Re: replacing outer rockers problem

the general concensus seems to be that some people have had great success with the cheapest repros and some people have had no success with the best rerpos. some people even have problems with the gm nos pieces. pie-wedging and sometimes even cutting out some length and rewelding are considered to be a given with most of these parts, especially considering that gm didn't exactly build the straightest truck right from the factory(then again, none of the other manufactureres did either.) I would say give it a shot and see what happens. worse case, buy another brand from a board sponsor and give it another go. look at it like this: at least you didn't have to hand form it from flat sheetmetal. Every body guy i have spoken to about this problem said the same thing.

Last edited by dyrt; 05-24-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
mbgmike

Post some good pocs so we can see.We use Taiwan made panels and have Never had the problems others encounter. The Triplus rockers fit fine. We never had to slice and dice them up to fit. Maybe a little reshaping at times but nothing major. We have done a lot of these through the years not just 4 or 5. They are one of the easiest panels to install. measure the length of them. Maybe there is a problem with your truck. I don't know. I have talked to many fellaws who thought there rotted out rockers were original but they had been replaced. Maybe thats the problem.These trucks have gone through heck and back. measure your door openings. They should be close. Its easy to blame the part first. Not trying to be a jerk but let us see the problem.

We sell the american made rockers too but they are not as complete as the OEM style

Mike

Last edited by mbgmike; 05-24-2011 at 06:37 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
'68 Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Post some good pocs so we can see.We use Taiwan made panels and have Never had the problems others encounter. The Triplus rockers fit fine. We never had to slice and dice them up to fit. Maybe a little reshaping at times but nothing major. We have done a lot of these through the years not just 4 or 5. They are one of the easiest panels to install. measure the length of them. Maybe there is a problem with your truck. I don't know. I have talked to many fellaws who thought there rotted out rockers were original but they had been replaced. Maybe thats the problem.These trucks have gone through heck and back. measure your door openings. They should be close. Its easy to blame the part first. Not trying to be a jerk but let us see the problem.

We sell the american made rockers too but they are not as complete as the OEM style

Mike
lol, its ok, your not being a jerk, i understand what you mean, some good some bad parts, if i get a chance ill snap some pics, im about to go out and start messing with it once again, maybe ill just move to the passenger side and forget about the driver side for a while.
" If you dont know where to start, go back to the beginning "
'68 Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

Always pre fit everything before welding.door should be hung and adjusted,for proper gaps to cab. The older style repos are crap but the triplus are super.Always tack and fit everything before any finish welding.if you replaced the front of the lower door pillar this is probably where things got off.These trucks are not hard to line up the fitment if you start and finish in the right order.need pics to see whats up.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
72 K20

Not trying to hijack your thread but was wondering what the opinion is on Certifit brand rocker panels ? cab corners ? Fenders ?

Thank You !
Tom
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
OJ1988
Just a car guy

My truck is on it's third( at least!) set of rockers. Got some from the truck shop and they fit great!
The easiyst panels I have ever installed.
Posted via Mobile Device
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
tinkerdad

I had to make relief cuts on both of mine to fit around tha A pillar.
tinkerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Chris4x4Gill2

Does anyone have any experience with "Sherman" brand replacements?
Chris4x4Gill2 is offline   Reply With Quote