The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
'68 Newtricks

Different exhaust routing questions

I read through ~15 exhaust routing threads, all about getting around crossmembers and trailing arms.

Well, I've come away with a couple questions, ones I don't think I had till I read the threads lol

I'm going to run dual pipes with an H pipe. Looks simple enough and probably the right call for a daily driver. I'd like to run the pipes inside the frame, running the H pipe near the trans tailshaft, and the mufflers above the trailing arms.

I guess my question is:

1) Has anyone been able to run their pipes inside the frame AND have it exit in front of the rear tires?

2) Has anyone ran pipes outside the frame and been able to work a crossover pipe in? Like an H pipe?

If neither of these are really feasible, I'll probably run inside the frame and dump before the axle. I would, however, like to make the tailpipe as long as possible. I just think it sounds better. I'm not a fan of seeing tips, both of my other trucks are hidden, but I wouldn't mind a small, tucked up tip coming out in front of the rear tire OR tucked up behind the tire pointing down.....like my cousin's Nova.

Picture of the '68. 'Cause everyone loves pictures

Old 10-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Different exhaust routing questions

[QUOTE='68 Newtricks;6892694]

I guess my question is:

1) Has anyone been able to run their pipes inside the frame AND have it exit in front of the rear tires?

2) Has anyone ran pipes outside the frame and been able to work a crossover pipe in? Like an H pipe?

If neither of these are really feasible, I'll probably run inside the frame and dump before the axle. I would, however, like to make the tailpipe as long as possible. I just think it sounds better. I'm not a fan of seeing tips, both of my other trucks are hidden, but I wouldn't mind a small, tucked up tip coming out in front of the rear tire OR tucked up behind the tire pointing down.....like my cousin's Nova.
QUOTE]

I kept mine running inside the frame but went over the axle to exhaust just below the rear bumper. Mufflers are above the trailing arms but there is no crossover. With the length of the trans and overdrive, there just wasn't room. Not to mention the electric dumps I wanted. You will have to put a 3.5 in dia hole through the crossmember above the axle and through the trailing arm crossmember to run the pipes this way. Either replace the trailing arm crossmember with either the porterbuilt or CPP pieces or, do as I did. Weld a section of schedule 40 4 inch diameter tubing to the trailing arm crossmember where the exhaust passes through to reinforce it.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
'68 Newtricks

Fitz: I saw your setup in one of the many threads I went though. Really really nice I gotta say. Clean lines and I like the dumps.

I have a CPP trans/trailing arm/ and shock crossmember, so I'm good on space. I don't have that nifty gas tank though, so going through like you did is out of the question. I like how it eliminates the 3rd link interference problems too. I think I'll put my crossover right where your dumps are.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
'68 Newtricks

And a year later......

From front to back. 2.5" pipe with 50 series flows

Old 11-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
'68 Newtricks

What the exit looks like. Trying to resemble a 60s car, kind of. I don't like the site of tail pipes but peeking out a little is sweet.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #6
'68 Newtricks

truck still needs finishing so it doesn't run yet Need to move my trans cooler lines a little and put some shielding on my fuel line.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
BossHogg69
motor exploder

That exhaust looks really nice. I like the way you ran it out after going over the rearend. Looks like a nice build - you've got some good hardware underneath there.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote