The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
'68 Newtricks

Anybody tried making headrests for buckets?

I love my buddy buckets but also love my headrests in my other two trucks. When I'm tired, I use them a lot. I also live in an area where accidents happen a lot and getting re-ended with glass behind me would suck.

I've been wondering if anyone has made a headrest for these trucks before, bench or bucket. Something that mounts to the ceiling and hangs down, or even some kind of removable one. This is where I'm thinking, removable.... so I can pull it off at a car show maybe, dunno.

Here's my thought. Using suction cups, lightweight frame (aluminum), plywood, padding, and a matching cover. 3 or 4 cups to hold in place, not just the push on ones but the cam style locking ones. Also, cover the back of it nicely, so it's not an eyesore looking into the glass.

I'm looking for cups like these. Maybe even use these as they have a spot to mount them fairly close to the cup. Lock down and BAM, headrests.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
'68 Newtricks

Re: Anybody tried making headrests for buckets?

Or something that mounts to the metal above and below the rear window. Maybe a slider set up that allows you to adjust the headrest.

Gotta be clean though, nice polished set up or powder coat with thought out attachment to the cab. I can't believe nobodies done this, where's the link? I know it's some where
Old 12-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

Stop by your local auto upholstery shop and have them make you a custom set of head rests to match your interior .building anything that requires "Rube Goldberg bracketry" to hold it in place just adds to the potential danger of impaling your head .They can build you a set of head rests from dense foam and have them attach with Velcro that could be stored by folding them down behind the seat when not in use .THINK LOW TECH . adding suction cups or hard mounts is just asking for a serious headache even in a low speed hit ! You can't build conventional type seat mounted head rests on buddy buckets because they just don't have the metal structure internally to make them secure .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
'68 Newtricks

Hmmm, where would they velco? Maybe to the ceiling since I'm not running a headliner. Not sure if I want it stuck to the window, probably going to look hokey anyway. I'm like 6'1" so they gotta be up high. hmmmm