The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
bluec10

Help - Distributor Won't Turn to Adjust

Been trying to set the timing on my L6 engine. It runs poorly, but it runs. I loosened the bolt holding the distributor shaft and made sure the little fork had free play. I can't for the life of me turn the distributor to adjust the timing. It's stuck. It's an awkward thing to grip with tools so I thought I'd check for ideas before I damaged something.

2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
franken

Re: Help - Distributor Won't Turn to Adjust

I imagine it could be the base (where the hold down is) is stuck to the block or over time sludge has built up. I've seen distributors that couldn't be removed without a good bit of effort due to sludge. I'd try to lift it a bit to rule out the base being stuck. If you can lift it maybe shoot som B12 in to loosen things. Maybe a strap wrench?
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #3
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Grab it with a channel locks and wiggle back and forth while spraying GOOD penetrant into gap between block and dizzy.

Are you sure the timing is off and not just worn points?
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
Grab it with a channel locks and wiggle back and forth while spraying GOOD penetrant into gap between block and dizzy.

Are you sure the timing is off and not just worn points?
Yup. If the thing ran OK after the last tune up, the timing is still set right. I'd bet on the points being toast, as well. But I'd still work on getting the 'stributator loose from the block.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
toolboxchev

I have seen distributors so loose as soon as the hold down bolt was un tightened the thing would be spinning each direction.

Chances are the dis-similar metals have a bit of corrosion between. Soak with PB Blaster and repeat three times between heat cycles. A pair of vise grips should do the trick.

Yeas I know they will leave some marks, be careful in how tight you make them. I would bet with enough strength it could shatter the aluminum shaft housing.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote