The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 AM   #1
deereboy8r

Deereboy's 71 Build

Hey everyone I've been on the site for a while but never maid a post on my truck build. Let me first give some back ground on me. I 21 just an ol country boy from VA grew up on our family farm dad's a full time farmer beef farm but was a dairy farm. I got the passion for cars I would say 6 or 7 years ago, dont get me wrong I always noticed cars and trucks just was never introduced to them. I really wished I was but my dad just wanted the ol A to B one AKA if it runs its good. But while in high school we had the chance to take an automotive school and I was always interested in how things work so I took the class. I really did enjoy the class our teacher was even new but did an amazing job and to this day he is a close friend of mine. But back to the trucks all these things just threw fuel on the fire and where I found my truck style I had to have. While at the school we had a 72 long bed Cheyenne 4x4 truck. Instantly I knew I had to have one looks and feel of the truck was perfect. What really did me in was when I got in the seat man it was tailored just for me. So after this I started searching had no money no real knowledge of how to fix one up resources or support but knew I had to get one. I eventually found one frame rusted beyond repair shady body work but rare in my book. Reason being rare its a factory fleet-side short bed 4x4 stick shift in the floor 350. But the biggest thing was factory AC I know some are out there like this but not many and normally the 4x4s with the AC would have been your long bed Cheyenne with an automatic. Anyways so I found this one still frame shot so gotta find a frame knew of none and the lady wanted 3,000 for it. The truck did run and drive but could not pass inspection. First I didn't even have 3k nor have any idea I was gonna fix it but I knew I had to get it. Well after speaking to the lady with the truck she advised me she wasn't really tirying to sell it so I figured I had a good chance at it. I then just started saving for it but still needed to figure out how I would fix it if I did get it. I had one of my neighbors who dose car restoration ask if I'd be interested in helping out some just some small time sanding where I could't screw up lol. I was all in just to learn more and to make a little money too. Now you can probaly tell where this is going the guy I was helping is a real good friend of mine and was the answer to how I would have a chance to do all this. I finally got the money and had my buddy go with me to check the truck over to see what the truck was and to see if it would be worth it. He gave me the okay and later that week she was home lol. After that we got her up to his shop and started checking it over. We was unsure if we were going to have to swap the frame at first but once we took the bed off we got our answer lol. The rear frame was so bad I am sure if you put 500lb in the bed she'd hit the ground. That hit hard so now we had to figure out what to do cut the back out and add in a back half or what. For one thing there are not too many short bed 4x4 frames just laying around so it was going to take some time. But again I was blessed someone is definitely watching over me this is why. I ended up finding a near perfect frame not only that but 3/4 axles that had to go with it. Now later I explain but that was perfect frame and axles. So pick up the goods and took them to shop to prepare. So in a perfect world the lift kit all springs would have been thrown in got a wide open frame no big deal. But of course don't work that way found the front rear leaf spring hangers were in the wrong spot(will explain later or ask lol I like to forget lol) so had to get over that. Now up to speed got the frame ready to sand blast so we're getting close to the victory lane. Still got a ways to go but wanted to get on here to have some people give me a kick every now and then when I start slowing up lol. But pics will bed added but please any questions, advisement or knowledge please let me know love to learn about different views. I apologize for the book but felt everyone needed the back ground to see what I've over come and some perspective.
deereboy8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 AM   #2
deereboy8r

Re: Deereboy's 71 Build

So now for some pics lol. This is the truck when I first got her smiling ear to ear.

[IMG]

[IMG]
Old 07-23-2017, 03:33 AM   #3
deereboy8r

Let me correct myself about the AC part it did have AC factory lol. You can see the AC box on the firewall and do plan on getting that working but working on the derivable part first lol.

[IMG]

Here's the new frame when I got it big ol 14 bolt for the rear and 10 in the front. And looking real hard rear has disc brake conversion already another bonus!

[IMG]

Gotta love the perks of a farm lol Deere power!

[IMG]

Springs all the way around!

[IMG]
Old 07-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
72 tigger

Looks like a great project! Any pics of the SPID?
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
deereboy8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
Looks like a great project! Any pics of the SPID?
72 tigger I apologize but I ant sure what SPID means lol let me know what it means and I'll try and get some pics of it! lol.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
72 tigger

It's the option list decal on the glove box door
Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
deereboy8r

Quote:
It's the option list decal on the glove box door
Okay I'll defiantly look for it next time never even thought to check it out. I believe it is factory by the box in the engine bay and vents in the dash for the AC just seems original but would be nice to know for sure. I will post a pic of what I find!
Old 07-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
deereboy8r

72 tigger I got the pics of the SPID check em out and see what ya think one or two were hard to read.

[/url]

[/url]
Old 07-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
72 tigger

Nice options & color combo- thanks for sharing
Old 07-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
deereboy8r

Here is what the original frame looked like just rusted beyond repair and also found a few patch areas. Also there was a crack that I did not get a picture of.

Here is the second issue this is the new frame and the guy before me said he used a set of Blazer leaf springs for the front. I believe he was just trying to get around the area where the brake cable clicks into the frame. Keep in mind this was a 2wd frame to begin with. You'll see where we cut an area out and patched it then cut the hole in the proper place. The way I found out was after buying my new lift kit and went to swing it up there with utter disappointment lol.

Last are the pictures where we mounted the front axle and for now it is on the 4" lifted leaf springs in the front and the regulars in the back. We just left it like that since we were first have to sand blast it.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
72 tigger

Nice progress! The blue truck looks good too
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
deereboy8r

Quote:
Nice progress! The blue truck looks good too
Thanks 72 tigger and yeah it does but has a good little bit of rust but that one ant mine lol. But some parts may just go missing from it lol just kidding lol.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #13
deereboy8r

Here is an update on the truck this is the new frame I am swaping in. I just had it sand blasted and then primered the frame. I am going for a show truck so we are going to paint the frame with a bedliner mix with some clear to give it a gloss look later on. I just mainly had to get it primered to keep the metal from rusting.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #14
deereboy8r

Here's an update on the build slow but still progress. Earlier we had the new frame sand blasted and primmered. The pictures and video below are where we painted it. I was amazed at how it turned, dry paint and still has a shine. The last picture is actually a video just click on it and it should take you to flicker where it is hosted from. With the gallon of paint we were able to do about three coats on the frame and also paint the radiator core support. I have unbolted the cab and any wires, cables leaving the cab so it can be removed. Once the truck is on some wheels we will remove the cab and then the motor trans etc.. Next just start putting things back together and finding out the many things needed lol.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #15
72 tigger

Good job on the frame- nice foundation. "many things" that's how they all go!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:12 AM   #16
deereboy8r

Quote:
Good job on the frame- nice foundation. "many things" that's how they all go!
Thanks tigger!
Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #17
Odaroloc

Very nice! i havent been as fortunate to find a short bed within a decent price. I found one the oterh day for $3500 but it was a 2wd and i already have 2 of them and also when i asked him about it, he said he had just sold it earlier that day haha keep it up man! Looks great!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #18
deereboy8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odaroloc View Post
Very nice! i havent been as fortunate to find a short bed within a decent price. I found one the oterh day for $3500 but it was a 2wd and i already have 2 of them and also when i asked him about it, he said he had just sold it earlier that day haha keep it up man! Looks great!
Thanks Odaroloc and yes these frames are very few I actually got lucky and found this one although it was a 2wd frame that had been converted and also converted to the wrong front springs lol. But after some work I think it’s turning out good. Just some more time and some more money and maybe we’ll get there lol.