The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #25
imjeff

Re: Just looked at a 72 and thought it was priced high - are my expectations off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
The other side of this coin is that classic car prices will absolutely crash and crash hard and in the not so distant future. The vast majority of collectors are in their late 50s and 60s and there are relatively few younger than that group, watch a Mecum auction sometime. The collectors are getting older and there is really no significant group following them. As this group enters their 70s a lot of these cars will be sold off to fund retirement, a lot will be inherited by kids not into the hobby that will also sell them off. The market is doomed to tank, as will real estate because there simply is no younger buyers who can afford these things at their current level.
People said the same thing 40 years ago when all the new fangled cars came out with emissions, electronic ignitions, seat belts and became "impossible" to work on. Of course we were entering an ice age and running out of oil, too! I see plenty of younger folks getting into the hobby. Some out of necessity (new Suburban or pickup is $70,000) and some because they had fond memories of old trucks. There's a kid don the street from me with a 70 C10 and a 68 Chevelle in his driveway. No Leaf, no Prius, no foreign can car. When things get stupid cheap from lack of demand, demand increases. It's a beautiful thing!
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote