The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Pressure Washer ??

Thinking on getting a pressure washer, mostly to keep the vinyl siding clean and maybe to clean the deck boards. Have no clue on them, how big a pressure washer would I need, PSI rating, engine horsepower rating and etc. Any brands better than others, usually are, just have no experience with them. Anyone with some tips on what to buy and what to stay away from?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Pressure Washer ??

I got this one from Lowe's and it has served me well. I have run it hard the last 8 years and she still runs/works great with just regular servicing of the oil and plug. It was on Sale when I got it, but I honestly don't remember what I paid for it. I had an electric one that my wife and daughter had gotten me and it STUNK. No power and not much flow either.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Ironhorse,

If at all possible go with the horizontal shaft engine/pump configuration like Bill posted, Also make sure what ever brand you choose the pump head is made of brass. The vertical mounted pumps are not as good, Especially if it's the all aluminum body & pump head version. They tend to corrode internally when stored blocking passages requiring a new pump.

Most all of the big box store machines use the same brand pump so do a little shop'n around and find your best deal, A 3000 psi in the homeowner line would work fine for anything you'd want to do.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
flashed

I use one a lot at work with a Honda engine ,been using it for years and it has never failed yet and it is a 3000 PSI . I have one at home I bought many years a go that I bought at Lowe's with a Briggs engine with less PSI and I wish I had opted for a good 3000 PSI with the Honda engine .Also when cleaning Vinyl siding Lowe's sells a deck cleaner that works great by spraying full strength in a garden sprayer ,wet the siding and then spray this stuff on and let it sit about 15 minutes . It is Olympic Premium deck cleaner ,I swear by this stuff at work.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
dieseldawg142

x2 on the honda's. my dad has 2 honda powered p.washer from the late '90's that work perfectly, 3000psi.
personally, i think 3000psi is overkill for around the house, too easy to damage things if not careful. i borrow my dad's mostly for cleaning frames & automotive stuff.
i have a 1800 psi karcher electric i bought on sale at wally world 6 or 7 yrs ago for under $100. bought it mainly to wash off our atv's (car washes dont like it when your quads have 50 lbs of mud on them), but every spring i wash all the green off the north side of the house, the sidewalks, carport, everything. takes everything off no problem, actually surprised it has lasted as long as it has. if it blew up tomorrow it would not bother me, for the price & service, i cant complain
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
personally, i think 3000psi is overkill for around the house, too easy to damage things if not careful.

While that may be true, That's why there's throttle controls on most machines. If you have a light job backing the throttle down will reduce pressure output, It's always better to purchase a little larger machine than what you think you'll need than run across a job wishing you had larger.

Also, Did you know the listed PSI rating is not what comes out of the end of the wand ?

Say a unit is rated at 3000 psi, That's the rating with the wand not depressed. Once you depress the wand you may have a actual 2300 to 2500 psi out of the wand, I can't explain why makers rate the psi like this but I see it all the time. Even my big commercial rental units have this drop in pressure......
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 07-20-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

We bought a Generac (us made, and made in WI 20 miles from where I live). We got a foam lance for it and use it to clean the cars.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Ironhorse

Thanks for the replies, keep'em coming. Next time I get to "the big city" (aka Wichita, LOL) I will do some looking around. Not in a hurry but would like a decent one if I'm going to spend the $$
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
71swb4x4

I have a John Deere with a Honda engine. It's a 2800 psi I think. The key is to run the right tip for the job. I bought extra tips and that has helped a lot. I have used it to remove paint from my garage before painting, clean the mower, clean the deck, etc.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
cdowns

i have a 12 year old karcher with a honda motor 2800 lbs works great has never failed to start and pump after all these years

i bought i think either lowes or home depot bck then
cant push the honda motors any better and as far as pressure the bigger you can get the better as far as i'm concerned
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I've also got a Troy-bilt from Lowe's, rated @ 2550 psi. I use mine for cleaning the siding on the house, cleaning the driveway, washing the cars, etc. I will say, my house is only one story and it JUST reaches the tops of the gable ends with me standing on the ground. It has been a solid little unit - I've had it for about 5 years and it was around $300 if I remember correctly.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

I drove a pressure washing 5 ton truck,years ago.
bigger was always better,but too much can shread things quickly.
washing right agaist the paint may leave clean streaks
or worse
a small bump/bubble of paint can rip open.
always wash a wall bottom to top,
i did a friends pool deck,(1600 home machine)wore off the leather over the steel toes(holding 1 inch off deck)
I have a small machine for at home
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

A good trick to maintain your pump=

Put some RV antifreeze though it when you are going to let it sit more than a couple of weeks. I use a funnel and a short length of garden hose. Put some of the RV antifreeze in the upheld funnel attached to the hose and pull on the starter until it forces the water out of the pump and the antifreeze is coming out of the high pressure fitting. (where you pressure line hooks to the pump.) This single maintanance technique will keep uour pump and O-rings good for years.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
Ironhorse

Thanks for that tip Tom. Will keep that in mind when I do find the pressure washer I want.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
_Ogre

i borrow my neighbors

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
ERASER5

What ever you get, look at the extra nozzles for sale. Find a Paint remover or spinner nozzle. This nozzle uses way less water and cleans a larger area per sweep than standard nozzles. The hole is tiny, but it spins making the over all pattern wide. I am on a well, so using 1/3 the amount of water is important to me. Plus, it is faster working.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
Old Truck Man

I have one exactly like the one Palf 70 Step has pictured. Bought it for $90.00 at a estate sale. Have used it for three years and it works very well. you have to protect any washer from freezing in the winter.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #18
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
What ever you get, look at the extra nozzles for sale. Find a Paint remover or spinner nozzle. This nozzle uses way less water and cleans a larger area per sweep than standard nozzles. The hole is tiny, but it spins making the over all pattern wide. I am on a well, so using 1/3 the amount of water is important to me. Plus, it is faster working.
I also have a 90 degree fitting for mine. It's great for washing the undercarriage and stuff like that.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
ERASER5

90°? wow! I want one! How do you keep it from turning in the quick coupling?
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Here is the one we use at work.
Diesel heater and a ton of pressure.

Personally,
I have 3500 PSI one from lowes too.
It works great and I use it all the time.
I bought it over Labor Day and got my military discount after the sale price!

If you ever need to get some really hot pressurized water for your truck or anything on a trailer... Go to Windfields car wash. I used it one day passing through and my gloves were burning before I was finished.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cash3481; 08-25-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #21
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Is that a chain? I've never heard of Winfields, at least not anywhere around here...we don't even have those DIY car wash stations here much.

I did get to use an industrial pressure washer a few years back with a mechanical contracting firm. It was similar to the one pictured above, but it had a much larger 220v generator unit and was designed to spray a hot chemical solution for pulling paint and par-cured concrete off of the ground.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #22
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Is that a chain? I've never heard of Winfields, at least not anywhere around here...we don't even have those DIY car wash stations here much.

I did get to use an industrial pressure washer a few years back with a mechanical contracting firm. It was similar to the one pictured above, but it had a much larger 220v generator unit and was designed to spray a hot chemical solution for pulling paint and par-cured concrete off of the ground.

Sorry, should have clarified! Winfield is a small town near Gary with an unbelievable heated pressure washer! The degreaser mode, heat and pressure can take concrete off concrete! Lol
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
slowcpe

I've got a cheapie electric one. ($150). It works great for most of the around the house things. Not quite enough pressure (1900 I think) to thoroughly clean a frame and such. It suits (most) of my needs.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote