The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Need stereo/speaker help

I have the Custom Autosound USA-5 stereo to install in my truck. I will be adding the 6 disc CD changer. I want to go with the dual voice coil speaker, but not sure what to buy. I contacted CAS today and the tech. told me that the #4005ADVC speaker is what I need for an a/c cab. Has anyone used that speaker in the a/c cab truck and did you have any problems. Anything else that I should watch out for? I'm not looking for a killer system, just something with decent sound.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Re: Need stereo/speaker help

Okay, let's try a different approach. Who has installed the Custom Autosound system and what have you all used in place of the original speaker? Any ideas? Any pics?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

TTT Anyone??
Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
jdwhitlo
I'm already on the flipside.

You might have better luck posting this in the truck audio forum. As far as the best speaker goes I would say that just about any quality speaker will do fine. I would go to a car audio shop and listen to some of their setups. For the best sound I would recommend wiring up a small amp to push the speakers, they will sound better at high volumes than if you just go strait from the deck.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
CCCC

If you are going to use just one speaker, mounted up under the dashboard in place of the original spkr and firing upward, you are going to be limited in quality of sound, speaker size/shape, and eventually durability. That "cone up" position is just about the worst for a speaker and both descending dust/debris and the sunlight coming through the front window eventually affect the speaker. This is why most of the original spkrs were soon shot and sounding lousy - somewhat because of the cheap paper cone material GM used. If you are going that direction, buy the best co-ax or tri-ax speaker you can get in that size (generally, heavier main core magnet = better overall quality), with the most durable cone material you can find (synthetic or metal), wire the stereo for "monaural" (mono) output so that both channels go to that speaker, and push it with enough power to keep it all sounding clean (at least 30 watts rms). Just an old-timer opinion after quite a few battles with this stuff.
67 Sting Ray Coupe 327 4sp; 68 K10 Suburban 327 4sp; 69 K20 Lifted 383 4sp; 69 C80 Fire Truck 478 V6 5sp/2sp; 69 C20 Longhorn 327 4sp; 70 C30 Wrecker 350 4sp; 70 C30 Flat Bed 350 4sp; 71 C20 LWB 350 4sp; 72 K5 Blazer 350 4sp; 72 C30 Flat Bed Gooseneck Hauler with sleeper 350/TH400; 72 C20 Longhorn 402 4sp; 52 Mack LTL Supercharged Cummins 5sp x 3sp; 01 Dodge 5.9 HO Cummins 6spd; 02 Safari Trek 2430 8.1 Vortec on Workhorse Chassis; 03 Silverado 2500 HD 4wd Duramax/Allison
Moved but still in the family
70 C20 Custom Camper 350/TH350; 72 K5 Blazer CST Highlander 350/TH350
Recently sent to new homes
72 C30 MoHome 402 4sp; 72 K5 Blazer Conv 350 4sp; 75 GMC 6000 Aerial 350 w Allison; 72 GMC 3500 Utility 350 4sp; 70 GMC 3500, 350 4sp

Last edited by CCCC; 01-18-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
chevy72blu

I have that speaker in my dash, but also running 2 Alpine Type-R 6x9's in the door being powered by a seperate amp. The dash speaker doesnt sound great - I wouldnt even call it good... but some tunes is better than no tunes. I would suggest cutting speaker holes in the doors or building kick panels for a round speaker (mine already had 6x9 holes). There is a FAQ on here about building your own kick panels.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #7
nvrsatisfied

many of your newer speakers in the after market world are now UV protected, they have a rubber UV treated surround, and light density Polly propylene (sp) cones. normally you can get away with putting two 3.25 spkeakers in the middle of the dash (or at least thats what i found easy in my 71' to do), and just run them off the head unit, one of them front left the other front right. if you are wanting to do subs or something behind the seat, look into the "new market" of shallow mount subs.

don't know if this helps but if you on the outter part of the boxes the speakers come in they should say.

PM me if you need any more help or info

72 cheyenne super
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811512

55 chevy truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=840174
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:43 AM   #8
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

How Long Have You Had Your Radio? I Am Wanting To Do The Same (custom Auto Sound) But Have Heard That The Radios Were Not The Most Reliable. I Have Been Holding Back Until I Get More Info On How They Work Now... Good Luck!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
neonlarry

I have that dual voice coil speaker and it sounds like poo. I would just buy a couple of good 3-4" low profile speakers and fab your own bracket to mount them. Thats the route I will be going shortly. I have some nice speakers in the doors (holes compliments of the P.O.) and that thing really detracts from the sound. I honestly think a tin can and string would sound about the same.

Last edited by neonlarry; 01-19-2008 at 06:46 AM.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #10
nuke82

I'm thinking about ordering the Custom AutoSound 5x7 (4005A-ChevyTruck-6772AC) speaker as a stand alone speaker in my cab. Does anyone know if the RetroSound 5x7 sounds any better? The RetroSound didn't get very good reviews on Crutchfield.

For being the sole speaker in the cab I don't think dual 3.5" speakers would be a good option, I don't see them producing much mid-range or base.
nuke82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Hugh Mongus

I have the retro sound stereo similar to the one you have. I bought the kick panels and dash speaker from LMC. They work fairly well. I connected the dash speaker to the head unit, and the kick panels to a Fosgate 300 watt mini amp. I also stuck two Fosgate R2S 10" subs under the seat hooked up to another amp. It all works pretty good for the space available.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I would suggest looking at a little more affordable option that IMO sounds better then most aftermarket speaker offerings. 2005-up Caddy CTS's have some awesome sounding 4" loudspeakers in the center of their dashes along with killer tweeters mounted in each a-pillar. These sound absolutely great in my 86 K10 and I guarantee they'll sound good in your truck too.

I also used he same CTS 6.5" midbass speakers in my lower doors as well. I ran 2 amps-1 for the tweets and loudspeakers (I ran two in the center of the dash) and 1 for the door midbass speakers. I ran both psnin series for their respective speakers since the tweeters already have caps on them so I believe my JL amp was 75x4 @2-ohms and the midbass speakers I drove 75x2 @ 2-ohm by running them bridged in series. Forget anything you've heard or read about factory Bose speakers being crappy-they are dated at a weird 2.8-ohm or so but when pushed to 2-ohm, they sound very nice. Its not so much the speaker impedance that's hard but whether or not your amp will run a 2-ohm load. If it can only don't in bridged mode, get a big amp and run as many speakers in series as you can.

Last edited by gmachinz; 07-29-2014 at 03:31 PM.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Low Elco

I bought a pair of Pioneer 4" speakers from BB, and made a Masonite plate to set them into with a 3/8" thick clearance ring around the edges. Then you use a #8 machine screw at each corner of the grate to suck the whole thing up to the bottom of the dash and seal it up. Works great, and good sound from the radio with Bassblocker caps on. Then we have a JBL GTO400 amp to 6 1/2's in the kicks. Not too bad, gonna put a sub in when we put it all back together, I hope.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote