The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
72bigred

Charcoal canister system butchered..

Been over this system attempting to put it back together.. previous owners just butchered it, lines all cut off in the back, hard lines missing in the rear.. I figured I would just scrap what is left and run a vented cap.. should I block off the tank holes or?? Advice appreciated.
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Charcoal canister system butchered..

You are correct that if you block off the tank holes you will need a vented cap.
Why not just fix the system properly? Everyone is afraid of emission controls, but they work, especially the evaporative system. I for one hate the smell of gasoline in a garage, and the charcoal canister will eliminate this. Another system people love to rip out is the EGR valve which is another system people don't understand, yet doesn't rob any horsepower.
I guess the laws in the US are pretty easy because here in Canada (Ontario specifically) there's a $350 dollar fine for each violation, and yes, they do have roadside inspections.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
mister.freeze

In Tx, these trucks are too old for such inspections.
I have most of my lines, I think, in place and intact. No cannister, though.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #4
72bigred

Fix the system properly.. very easy to type that sentence compared to dealing with as I stated a butchered system, the pipe that apparently all the hoses use to connect to in the bed is missing also.. if you have a source for all the proper parts to install the system once again please post a link. I personally have not been able to find them, not many donor blazers out there to rob the parts from either. Right now I believe I have 3 hard lines in the rear that have been cut with a hacksaw, and one partial hard line running in my right frame rail.. outside of that I am missing everything else. Would appreciate the link to the parts to fix the system.
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
notsolo

Charcoal canisters were on trucks thru the 90's, I found hard plastic lines and canister at a pick and pull.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #6
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bigred View Post
Fix the system properly.. very easy to type that sentence compared to dealing with as I stated a butchered system, the pipe that apparently all the hoses use to connect to in the bed is missing also.. if you have a source for all the proper parts to install the system once again please post a link. I personally have not been able to find them, not many donor blazers out there to rob the parts from either. Right now I believe I have 3 hard lines in the rear that have been cut with a hacksaw, and one partial hard line running in my right frame rail.. outside of that I am missing everything else. Would appreciate the link to the parts to fix the system.
It is easy!
You don't expect to be able to go to the wreckers and vent lines do you?
There's plenty of schematics out there showing you the proper routing of all the lines, and with a quick trip down to NAPA you'll be able to purchase all you need. It's just standard 5/16" and 3/8" steel tubing. It's no different than brake lines. Would you go to the wreckers to buy those? I think not.
If it was me, I would replace all the lines with new plastic ones. Easier to work with, cleaner and won't rust.

Last edited by hemi43; 03-10-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze View Post
In Tx, these trucks are too old for such inspections.
I have most of my lines, I think, in place and intact. No cannister, though.
Yeah, we have messed up laws up here! They make it real difficult for old car owners. Not only do all emission controls need to be intact, but if you upgrade ANY vehicle to a late model engine, all the emission controls that came with that model year engine must be used.
I installed an 05 5.3 in my truck, and I'm running dual cats as well as a properly working evap system. I don't like to be forced to do it, but it's really no big deal and much better for the environment. Thankfully the 5.3s don't have an EGR system like the 6.0, or air pump.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:17 AM   #8
K5Fan

I wanted to stay as stock as possible, and had the same torn out ECS. There haven't been any eco friendly laws here for many years, but I also went with the dual cats just to do my part to help save us all. Expensive.

Chris.
K5Fan is offline   Reply With Quote