The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
NC67Chev

Detailing questions/help

I've tried to care for the exterior of my cars through my adult life, but I really want to step it up a notch and do a better job going forward. For years, I've washed my cars on a regular basis and applied wax a couple of times a year, but they honestly never really look good enough that I find it rewarding. My purpose for starting this thread is to learn about what products and techniques I should be using. To keep organized, I'm going to try to break it up into sections:

1. Washing - Does it really make any difference what sponges, mitts, etc. are used? Is there any real difference between the wide variety of detergents/shampoos? Do you use the two bucket method? For hard water, what is the best way to prevent water spots? Are there deionizer users here? How about blowers? Does the sheeting method of rinsing help?

2. Drying - Whats the best way to thoroughly dry without leaving spots? Waffle weave products, chamois, water blades, blowers like metro blaster?

3. Clay - I know nothing about using clay, so any guidance would be great! What lubricant should be used?

4. Buffers - I realize that most serious detailers probably don't use dual action machines, but that's what I plan on using. Is the porter cable 7424 XP a good unit?

5. Buffing pads - This is new to me, so any points will be greatly appreciated. Is there a special way to clean them?

6. Buffing compounds - I have no clue.

7. Wax/Sealant - Please feel free to make recommendations. I've been using carnauba based waxes for forever, but I think I'm ready to try sealants. Microfiber for removal? Is there anything special to cleaning the microfiber, other than not washing it with other types of fabric?

8. What to do with water spots? Both clear coat and non-clear coat paint.

I'm sure there are many other questions that I should be asking, so please feel free to offer any other tips you can think of.

I realize there are a lot of questions here, but I appreciate any guidance you can provide. I just want to find a routine that works well and stick to it. Thank you for your help!

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Iceburgh

Re: Detailing questions/help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC67Chev View Post
I've tried to care for the exterior of my cars through my adult life, but I really want to step it up a notch and do a better job going forward. For years, I've washed my cars on a regular basis and applied wax a couple of times a year, but they honestly never really look good enough that I find it rewarding. My purpose for starting this thread is to learn about what products and techniques I should be using. To keep organized, I'm going to try to break it up into sections:

1. Washing - Does it really make any difference what sponges, mitts, etc. are used? Is there any real difference between the wide variety of detergents/shampoos? Do you use the two bucket method? For hard water, what is the best way to prevent water spots? Are there deionizer users here? How about blowers? Does the sheeting method of rinsing help? Mitts with a high pile works best to pull and suspend dirt away from the finish, it will work in conjunction with the shampoo. Two bucket method is best, water softness are best but you can also use filters on the hose to help, no blower or sheeting action soap help with hard water

2. Drying - Whats the best way to thoroughly dry without leaving spots? Waffle weave products, chamois, water blades, blowers like metro blaster? Any method listed work, I personally don't like natural chamois due to rough texture when dry and mildew when moist. Blades same way, hard on finishes that are not spotless

3. Clay - I know nothing about using clay, so any guidance would be great! What lubricant should be used? Think of clay as an eraser on paper, it removes most contamination on the surface, does nothing for anything below the surface including oxidation, scratches swirls etc. Simply cleans to a bare painted surface

4. Buffers - I realize that most serious detailers probably don't use dual action machines, but that's what I plan on using. Is the porter cable 7424 XP a good unit? Yes that is a good unit and pros will use buffers and polishers. What you are looking at is a polisher. Different machines, different uses ,different results. Buffers place is for color sanding and initial shine, polishers are for surface corrections and polishing

5. Buffing pads - This is new to me, so any points will be greatly appreciated. Is there a special way to clean them? Make sure they are able to be cleaned, not all are. If machine washable, hot water, low phone Balance detergent with zero softeners. Air dry

6. Buffing compounds - I have no clue. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There is a aggressive scale. Start low move higher as needed for correction, buffing, cleaning etc. The machine you are looking at with a foam padding is very forgiving. Not the case with a rotary buffer and/or wool. They can get even the most experienced person in trouble if not careful

7. Wax/Sealant - Please feel free to make recommendations. I've been using carnauba based waxes for forever, but I think I'm ready to try sealants. Microfiber for removal? Is there anything special to cleaning the microfiber, other than not washing it with other types of fabric? Nothing wrong with carnauba if you like it other than tough to work with and hard to remove from plastic trim. Synthetics are easier to work with and easier on trim if it gets on there. Wax any type and even sealants will act differently to different surfaces and paint types. Remember a little goes a long way. To heavy will result in chasing it when humid.. microfiberso are not created equal. High contents of rayon will cause scratches, as far as cleaning see above on washing pads

8. What to do with water spots? Both clear coat and non-clear coat paint. Simply Polish them out. Can be very difficult, worst case I have seen where color sanding is required

I'm sure there are many other questions that I should be asking, so please feel free to offer any other tips you can think of.

I realize there are a lot of questions here, but I appreciate any guidance you can provide. I just want to find a routine that works well and stick to it. Thank you for your help!
Tried to answer ax much as possible. You tube meguiars paint correction for video
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
NC67Chev

Thank you for taking the time to read through my long post and multiple questions! I appreciate your time!

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
BossHogg69
motor exploder

1. Washing - Does it really make any difference what sponges, mitts, etc. are used? Is there any real difference between the wide variety of detergents/shampoos? Do you use the two bucket method? For hard water, what is the best way to prevent water spots? Are there deionizer users here? How about blowers? Does the sheeting method of rinsing help?

I use a microfiber sponge or mitt and Meguiar's Ultimate car wash. I have never had to deal with hard water, so I can't help.

2. Drying - Whats the best way to thoroughly dry without leaving spots? Waffle weave products, chamois, water blades, blowers like metro blaster?
I use the waffle weave/guzzler towels and compressed air to dry stuff like the wheels and around the grille and body where water likes to hide out after towel drying

3. Clay - I know nothing about using clay, so any guidance would be great! What lubricant should be used?
I use the Mother's Clay and it comes with their detail spray to use as a lubricant. soapy water will work too, but if using detail spray you just wipe it off after claying and you don't necessarily have to rewash the vehicle.

4. Buffers - I realize that most serious detailers probably don't use dual action machines, but that's what I plan on using. Is the porter cable 7424 XP a good unit?
The Porter is very popular. I myself use a DeWalt 849X and Flex Mini, both are considered 'rotary polishers'

5. Buffing pads - This is new to me, so any points will be greatly appreciated. Is there a special way to clean them?
Most buffingI use the 3M three step system and the buffing pads correspond to the step of polish you use. White pad goes with #1 buffing compound (white liquid), grey/black pad goes with #2 Machine Polish (it's grey liquid), and blue finish pad goes with #1 fine polish (blue liquid). As for cleaning the pads, I get this Pinnacle spray cleaner from Autogeek.net - actually I get most, if not all my detailing stuff from them. I also wash my pads in the washing machine sometimes.

6. Buffing compounds - I have no clue. See above

7. Wax/Sealant - Please feel free to make recommendations. I've been using carnauba based waxes for forever, but I think I'm ready to try sealants. Microfiber for removal? Is there anything special to cleaning the microfiber, other than not washing it with other types of fabric?
I use the Meguiar's Ultimate synthetic wax, but recently tried the Collinite 845 insulator wax and it is very durable and gives a good shine. I use in on my DD's. For my hot rod C10 that has more of a 'show' quality paint job, I have some Pinnacle Souveran carnuba wax - it gives a better shine, but not as durable as the Collinite.

8. What to do with water spots? Both clear coat and non-clear coat paint.
I would start with a fine polish, if that doesn't get it, you'll have to go to something more aggressive. I use Klasse All-in-One as a hand polish BEFORE I wax (after ALL machine polishing is done). The shine is outstanding.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote