The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #101
68,69 K20
They call me the Breeze...

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Cool build thread, really admire your low buck approach to it, I am going to try to have the same approach on my upcoming K20 build. Also your desire to rescue a classic from the scrapyard is really cool . Keep up the great work!

69 K20

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy"....Ben Franklin
68,69 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #102
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Wow, it's been awhile since I posted anything on this. My work schedule has been kinda rough. We had hired a guy this spring and split my territory (state of MN) in two, then added a bit of western WI for each of us. I had a fairly laid back summer compared to previous years. Well he quit about a month ago and turns out he didn't like to travel much, so everything that should have been done up north (farthest from me) was waiting for me to do. I have barely looked at the Jimmy since.

Time to quit whining and give a brief update. I did get the hatch installed. Turns out the one crack I didn't fix yet was more flexy than I thought and it will need a repair also. It can wait until next summer though. I needed to get the rig closed up from the elements as much as possible. I have sold another part. I had a bed side that I planned on keeping for future restoration, but someone else needed it more than me. I made a tidy profit ($285) but I hope to heck I don't need it later. I also sold the extra power steering box, but haven't received the payment yet. So for now I'm ahead $203. with a few more parts to go when I get some more time.

I have pretty much decided to find a running 350 to drop in the Jimmy instead of using my short block. It's faster and easier all around and probably cheaper. If I go that route, the $145 I spent on prep for it will be put back to the other truck. My original plan was to make it a stroker and I think I'll stick with that idea.

I still hope to make this thing run and drive this winter.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #103
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I still hope to make this thing run and drive this winter.
Well, we're all pulling for you.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #104
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It's been a long, hard winter. Since the Jimmy is resting outdoors and my schedule with work, sons hockey and well, just raising a family has limited what I am willing to do on the Jimmy. But the thread is not dead.

Instead of rebuilding the short block I had, it will be used as originally planned as a stroker motor for my C-10. I found a deal on a runner 350 from a 3/4 ton chevy truck, probably about 1975 vintage. $200 and all I'm doing is cleaning it up, replacing gaskets and seals and doing a rattle can rebuild. The main reason I came to this decision was the cost of heads. Rebuilding them was going to be expensive, and I found a complete running engine for about the same cost of ready to use heads. I've got a stock GM aluminum intake, HEI dizzy (need to clean it up yet) and need to rebuild the carb yet. As it sits, the engine is partially disassembled. I'm going over today to spray on some degreaser, finish scraping the old gaskets and start reassembly.

Then it will be time to pull the Jimmy out of the weeds and snow so I can get the old engine out.

So, the $145 on the short block comes off the books puuting me at $348 to the good. I bought gaskets, seals, timing chain/gears, balancer repair sleeve, thermostat, dipstick, and some paint and degreaser for about $74 putting me at $274 ahead.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #105
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Glad to see things are still moving forward. I know exactly what you speak of about life and kids and work and so on. Hang in there and it'll get done.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #106
71swb4x4

It was a long cold winter. My truck has been sitting idle too. Glad to hear you are jumping back on the horse. I am sure it will be going before you know it.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #107
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

On a lark, I decided to just unbolt the tranny from the engine and see what happens. The engine pulled right out, no problem. I think that rolling it around to lift and separate the engine was enough to undo the torque converter from the tranny.

Now I have to finish re-assembly on the new engine. As it sits right now, I have to pull the broken stub of the dip stick tube from the block so the new one can go in. I need to get the distributer in, mount the water and fuel pumps, install the oil pan and get a carb ready. I have two sets of exhaust manifolds to get ready. I've got 2 starters that I'll bring to napa for testing, hopefully one is good. And I have an alternator for it, internally regulated if I remember right. Thanks to vtblazer I have one to rebuild, but I may get a good edelbrock for almost nothing and use that instead.

I also noticed the inside of the hood is rusted bad, so saving the one from the green Jimmy was a good idea. Also found while laying under it to loosen bolts, the floor pans are really, really bad. I think the carpet is holding it together. Oh well.

I spent another $5 for form-a-gasket and that little retainer for the oil pump shaft, and paid for the new engine $200. I bought a passenger side door at a junkyard and a few small parts for about $55. I sold a few more parts bringing in another $67.50. So I am still ahead by $81.50.

I don't have much left to get rid of, so the balance will end up back in the negative, but so far, heck of a deal!

Last edited by hgs_notes; 04-07-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #108
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Bad news is that the radiator I planned on using, failed its pressure test. Actually, both radiators I sent in did, so I don't have a 4 core for my C-10 either. So thats about $60 wasted.

I did finish pulling parts from the old motor, so the short block is now scrap. I got 2 starters and had both tested, both passed, so i have a spare. I've got some time tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get the new engine ready to drop in, minus a carb. I haven't started the rebuild yet on that. It'll have to wait until I get back from Mexico. But it should be running and driving (please, please, please) in early May. Wish me luck!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #109
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Man glad to see you back at it this is one of my favorite threads. Good luck on getting the new powerplant in and have a safe trip to Mexico.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #110
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjh1316 View Post
Man glad to see you back at it this is one of my favorite threads. Good luck on getting the new powerplant in and have a safe trip to Mexico.
Thanks, I wish I had more time to put into it. I think it will be a very busy summer.

My wife gave me the go ahead to get a body shop to fix my C-10 cab and get the truck ready for paint. She also said that I should look at buying a garage/shop or building one somewhere. She doesn't like the idea of expanding my current garage. Then there is always the junkyard searches to do. Found another one I'm going to have to get back to as soon as I can.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #111
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks to member t korinek, this little project has taken an unexpected turn in direction. It's still low buck, but will be drastically improved with a new tub. It's not perfect, but WAY better than what I have. From the cowl back for $500 plus delivery. I'm very happy and very excited.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #112
chemsearch

been watchin this for a while, looks like its goin great! keep up the good work!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #113
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Awsome buy ! This will make things a whole lot easier for you. Are the rocker boxes as fine looking as the rest?
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #114
BurnoutNova

great buy, how many blazers/ jimmys have you had now? 3 ? lol!
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #115
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Roof View Post
Awsome buy ! This will make things a whole lot easier for you. Are the rocker boxes as fine looking as the rest?
He said they are solid, that the only rust is by the kick panels and some on the windshield frame. I asked for picks on that area. It's not a deal breaker, just want to know if it's fixable. Now I'll have an extra set of rocker boxes. I have a windshield frame that has a little rust, but fixable. I'll sell what I don't end up using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
great buy, how many blazers/ jimmys have you had now? 3 ? lol!
We'll call it 2.5. I'm just getting the body, no frame. I found another K-5 at a junkyard the other day. It's toast, but has some parts I have go back and scavenge. I know where a 2wd 72 CST is sitting also. Been trying to get that one for over a year now.

So plans are only changing a little. Still working on getting it driveable so I can test out all of the other mechanical systems. Instead of patching up the body though, I'll be doing a swap. And since it's so nice, I'll put on good doors and a good front clip (I might get that from the same seller). Who knows after that.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #116
BurnoutNova

as long as the projects keep getting nicer theres nothing wrong with swapping tubs like that. i cant wait to see it once you get it on your frame
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #117
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My 2 week work trip to Mexico is done. I spent some time with the family, the weather is improving, time to get more therapy. I went over to finish putting the engine together yesterday, but my wife drove my car to work and my parts were in it. So I didn't get much done til she got home. I had to make a little blind plate to cover an opening in the intake manifold, so I did that. Got the dizzy cleaned up with a splash of paint (still needs new rotor and cap, later). Took my alternator in to get tested, found out it no worky, so I'll have to snag another one. Picked up the radiators I was getting tested, turns out both were good for recycling the brass, so I'll be picking up another one later next week from another board member. And today I tore down the freebie carb from vtblazer for the rebuild. Got the parts cleaned and bought the kit. Pulled out my Rochester build book and tomorrow I'll try to get it back together.

There is a good chance I'll get the engine bolted in the jimmy next weekend. I need to check out the gas tank and get some gas line run and a few other details, but it should be a runner before June. Once I'm at that point I think the project goes on hold for awhile because I'll be working on my C-10. My wifes 20th anniversary gift to me was to let me do what I need to for my C-10 to be ready for paint. Mainly it needs cab work. I found a replacement to help that along, which I'm collecting in a couple weeks with the blazer tub shown above

I may have a mini build thread on that project, I don't know. Nothing special really, just restore and paint. With the new cab, decent fenders, doors and bed, there's not a lot of restore and I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford paint until I get to that point, so for now, we'll see...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #118
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Heres the after pictire of the carb.

It went pretty well. I've rebuilt the holley on my C-10 many times, but this was the first rochester. Once you get past the linkages, it's pretty easy. And only one left over part!

It's for the fast idle or choke or something. The choke puller diaphram has a slow leak, so I just adjusted it to stay open, it's almost summer. When I find a replacement, I'll hook it back up.

Cost was $35 for the rebuild kit, so my total spent is now $116.50. That choke puller part is another $35 so I'll wait and see if I can get a good used one.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #119
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Pretty good day today. It was rainy, but I was able to do almost everything inside for a change. I got the motor back together and installed in the Jimmy. Figured out that the throttle cable is completely hosed, no kickdown cable, power steering bracket is not going to work either. I probably will need to find another water pump also. So for now, I'm going to look back at one of the junkyards to see if I can get the brackets I need, throttle cable, kickdown, alternator, whatever. I'm picking up a cab for my other truck and the blazer body next weekend. The throttle might be in one of those yet. I am just happy to finally get that engine installed. I spent $10 today for exhaust manifold gaskets and a few odds and ends, bringing my total up to $126.50.

I also traded my bad radiators for a set of bare sbc heads. Just steel castings that have been cooked out and magnafluxed. I might be able to get something out of them. I also bought another 4 core radiator from another board member this week for my C-10. I'll probably swap that in this week and I'll use my old 2 core for this project. Waste not, want not.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #120
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went back for a while on Sunday while the wife was napping. Found an air cleaner amongst the yard junk. Found a couple different power steering pumps with brackets, not sure any of them will work. Might have found a water pump, alternator and some other pieces but I have to ask the owner if they are available or if he will be using them. Got the hood put on, and put on the front bumper and license plates. The lot owner is getting hassled by the city for all of the junk around, my Jimmy included. Turns out he is limited to 3 vehicles outside, so I have to remove mine from the property. Kind of sux. I talked to another friend that lives out of city limits, on a farm and he says he has room and I may even be able to get it inside. I'm also considering bringing it home for a few days to get it running first, then driving it out to the farm, but I'll need the wifes ok on that. If I can get it here, I can get my pressure washer out and blast away a few years of debris.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #121
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Made a trip to Omaha today to pick up the blazer tub, a cab, some doors, blazer gas tank and a tailgate. I ended up selling the tailgate to t korinek, who I bought the blazer parts from and who did the delivery to Omaha. Great guy and he has a bunch of good doors for those interested. I'm undecided on whether I should use the new tub on this project though. I've been trying to talk a local guy into selling me a 2wd blazer parts truck. The body is completely toast, but the frame is ok and it has a title. I'd just keep chugging along as I am on this jimmy. It should be a runner in the next couple weeks.

Any opinions out there on this? I'll be saving the new tub regardless because I have to shift my focus back to my C-10. I guess I'll have time to figure it out and see if I can even get that other blazer.

Oh yeah, when I picked up the new radiator for my C-10 (which I installed and tested thursday), I also got a windshield for the Jimmy, freebie! (BTW, both tubs have busted windshields)
Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #122
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

If you can score the 2wd frame and title I would for sure save the tub for that project.
The Bad:
The Ugly:
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #123
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I stopped by the farm that has the 2wd parts blazer. Mostly just to check that it was still there and let him know I'm still interested. It is, and I think I could get it before the summer is over. He wants to pull the front suspension and rear axle (posi) for another truck he has to convert to 5 lug and disc brakes. I might just try to get another 71-72 front for him to use instead. Maybe a rear end too, I don't know.

This would be project #3. I need to get a shop.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #124
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Had a little progress today. Got an alternator installed, but I need to find one of those special water neck bolts to allow bolting the top bracket up. Got the power steering pump installed, minus hoses for now, that'll be next. Found a throttle/kickdown cable bracket set and installed. Then found that the carb connection for the cables are the wrong style and the bracket can't be swapped to the proper one that I have. Now I need to find the little ball connector and get that in. I also need to pick up a kickdown cable and pull the throttle cable from the other blazer tub. I also need a different water pump pulley. I have one that is too large and rubs the crank pulley, or one that is the right diameter, but has a double pulley and wont fit, it rubs the water pump. I should have pulled the crank pulley at the junkyard today, and can now kick myself for thinking I had one that'll work.

I also bought an air filter for $8, and spent about $30 at the junk yard today. Total spent is up to $156.50.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #125
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Two steps forward one step back. Been there. It's better than work though.
The Bad:
The Ugly: