The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Finding the right 7 blade clutch fan type

I've had a hard enough time trying to find a fan with 6-7 metal blade fan that take the clutch type.

This is what i found and some of you want like it.Trying to find a metal 6-7 blade fan that takes the clutch type for chevy trucks are hard.I'm still running the old motors.With the factory Fan and shroud and a 3 or 4 core copper and brass radiators.

I found out that if you use the 1974-6 extreme duty 454 fan clutch it will work on almost any fan from the big 3, dodge ford or chevy.This fan clutch has slots where it makes it easier to put your fan and clutch on your short water pump.

Now here is the kicker The fans are hard to find.are shrouds will only take up to a 16 inch.Most fans are 18 inches.I found a dodge 7 blade fan that Fits are shrouds and are clutches and are 15.5 inches wide and are 7 blade metal fans.If you having trouble cooling you old truck.

You done a flush or a rod out with in the last year and know you radiator is clear of junk.Then this fan and clutch combo will work amazing in your set up.

I always say this A working heater if your best friend in the summer time.Its the one thing from blowing a head gasket and making it home on a 90-- 115 degree day

this system fork on all 1960--72 chevy trucks I have a 1965 and a 1972 this metal fan and clutch type works on both with a fiber glass or plastic shrouds
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: Finding the right 7 blade clutch fan type

I have a serpentine belt system on my Suburban with a factory fan shroud. I went on ebay and found a 17" reverse rotation fan blade from a Camaro that works perfect on my fan clutch and fits great in the shroud.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
aotte1

Original V8 HD cooling 5 blade fan had a option for the clutch. Member 60-66 wrote an excellent post explaining factory fans and clutch options.
Hope this helps a little, possible an alternative.

Les

Last edited by aotte1; 07-15-2018 at 02:51 AM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

The Truck Shop in Orange, CA has the clutch and fans needed.
I have seen on here where people have used 70-72 7 blade clutch fan and a stock style repop fan shroud. My plan is to do the same using a short water pump.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=613741
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
AcampoDave

I use an 18" Flexalite clutch fan with 6 fixed metal blades. It's mated to a Hayden clutch pt.#2747. It fits the stock shroud and is tightest at the top with about a pinky space of clearance using a short water pump. The smaller bolt circle on my short pump made it a bit of a p.i.a to install but it does fit with the bolts at the very innermost part of the slots in the clutch. If I remember right I may have even took a tad out of each slot with a circular file just to give it a tiny bit of wiggle room for an easier install. A pump and pulley with a dual bolt pattern would be the ticket but I couldn't find a dually pulley or wide pattern for a short pump. Notice how small of a bite my washers have on the flange. Trouble is bigger ones don't clear the stem of the clutch. It's been driven a lot tho' with no issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-15-2018 at 05:08 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote