The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
buildinga55

Steering Column Options

I have a 35" GM Tilt column that came with my truck. My steering is all set up for this length column. However, I don't like the looks of this column as it is has the tilt rod and the dimmer rod all exposed on the outside of the column and looks like crap. What other column would be 35" in a standard GM column that would not look so bad and have a smooth steering column? I really don't want to drop $300-400 on one from Ididit or Flaming River. Those are nice, but I can live with GM column. Thanks
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Steering Column Options

For just a straight column the 67/72 GM truck columns are pretty clean. A lot of guys run the 80 something GM full size van tilts and standard columns for the same reason. Car columns and later truck columns usually have too much extra stuff hanging off them.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
blackdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Car columns and later truck columns usually have too much extra stuff hanging off them.
Like the keys,, I like the 70's van columns because of the no key thing. You really need a tilt because you have to run it all the way down, to the lowest setting. The shaft of the column is at a steeper angle in the TF trucks, than the vans. On the other hand, I guess that the stock is streight so if that angle is good for you, than a non-tilt would be also.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
buildinga55

I was told mine was out of an early 80's van. It has the square kind of area around the turn signal and kinds of wires and rods to make the bright lights work and all. All I need is a tilt and if it has a gear selector, I can cut it off. Don't need cruise, wipers all that stuff.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
ratrodmiller

I used a 1988 chevy van tilt steering wheel , it worked out good , i built a drop bracket to bring the column down so it wouldnt be so for up and also moved it over to the left some to clear frame and headers.
ratrodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
ambryatim

Not to thread jack.....but...I was wondering if a column out of a 92 chevy truck would work??? I like the shifter on the column, keys, dimmer switch and cruise (I have a 5.3L) but I was worried about the length. Havent had a chance to measure it yet, but its a freebee all I have to do is go get it.
ambryatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
ratrodmiller

Well. I belive the truck column is too long .the van column is short.
ratrodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
ambryatim

I wonder just how much too long the truck column would be??? Could I shorten it some???
ambryatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
OrrieG

When I did mine I had a 74 truck column too. Working from memory I think it was at least 2 if no 4 inches longer than the 82 eldorado one I used. It was long enough that it interfered with the ram horn manifold and head. If you are running a six it would not be an issue. If you look at the photos of the cable shift linkage at the firewall in my thread, and imagine the column longer you can see the problem, especially if you are using the column shift.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=134

You can shorten them but it requires complete disassembly and good welding skills because you have to cut and reweld the shaft. I would use a column of the right length before I would trust one that had been cut and rewelded. Once you get it put back together there is no way to check for future problems.

Last edited by OrrieG; 10-29-2009 at 01:43 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
BlueJeep

s10 column is shorter and has all the "stuff" on it.

buildinga55, I've read somewhere where people were taking 70's GM columns, cutting the tube off it and welding on a prettier one (with no do-dads and holes). This made them very similar to the aftermarket ones for very little $$$.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
c10addict

Im thinkin of just gong with a standard "Hot Rod Column" and running a old school turn signal switch and hiding the horn button somewhere else... You can buy the column for $165.00 on e-bay
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
BlueJeep

And speedway has the hot rod columns too, $89 or $99 depending on length for steel ones:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/STEEL-...LUMN,9145.html

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler

Last edited by BlueJeep; 10-29-2009 at 03:16 PM.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I like the chevy van columns for the same reasons as blackdiesel. A steering column can be shorten, with my dash mods I will have to really shorten the column a lot. Anyway here is what the van column looks like unpainted with the ugly steering wheel.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-30-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
buildinga55

Still pondering this column situation. Since I am going to use a floor shifter, I really don't think I need the neutral safety switch on the column. I of course want a neutral safety on the truck, I think Lokar makes one for their shifter. So it is looking to me like here are my options, spend big bucks for Ididit or Flaming river, or find an older tilt column with that was for a floor shift and does not have the ignition on the column. I am guessing that brings me to a late 60's early 70's column. I am ultamately wanting a cleaner looking column with out all the stuff you can see attached to it under the dash like the neutral safety switch.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
blackdiesel

In my 38 coupe I used a late 60's gm tilt from a car. I cut the shifter off, had to shorten it some, and covered it with a piece of ex. tubing, looks like a store bought.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
buildinga55

That would be cool. One thing I like about messing with this old stuff is learning and figuring out what works and what does not. I am in a stupper about the best and most reasonable route to go on this column. I really hate to spend 300-400 on a column then another 50-75 on a borgeson joint if I can make something work. I already have the correct joint and steering linkage set up for the splined shaft on my column. I am wondering how these guys wire up the neutral safety switch on these GM columns with ignition on the column and have a floor shift. I am sure there is a way. I even thought of getting a column get rid of the shifter and the ignition and put the ignition on the dash. Don't suppose anyone makes new covers for the columns so you did not have to patch all the holes? Just grasping!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
pro1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
I like the chevy van columns for the same reasons as blackdiesel. A steering column can be shorten, with my dash mods I will have to really shorten the column a lot. Anyway here is what the van column looks like unpainted with the ugly steering wheel.

That's the column I have in my 56, it works well, ugly steering wheel and all.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #18
buildinga55

Well I think after some further research I am going to go with the column I found that is very similar to the one you pictured, may be the same one. I think I will get rid of the column shift and the ignition and mount my ignition on the dash. That will get rid of the ugly neutral safety switch on the column and should be able to clean up the column nicely.