The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Leg room! 67-72 Cabs

There are very few ways of gaining leg room in these models. Taking the gas tank out does nothing for leg room. The only things that gain leg room are fire wall mods which is a bunch of work to reposition the pedals and such. Cutting the steering column down and using a tilt wheel.

Modifing the seats and frames will help some. This to requires some cutting and welding.

Taking the gas tank out of the cab will not help at all unless you cut the metal panel under the back window out. This is something I have been thinking about doing but don't know if it will mess the structure of the cab up.
Pictures do not lie!

These are my 1999 Tahoe seats they are pretty much as far back as they can go. I'm 5-9 and I'm OK but another 2-3" would help.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Leg room! 67-72 Cabs

These seats are on the 1999 stock mounts so some cutting will be required on them to get as low as I can get them. I will also have to cut the cab just to get a couple of more inches. Not sure if it's worth the trouble but the cool factor would be way up there!
Also check out the bolts and screws holding these mounts together! They are very small and people worry about the mounting hardware through the truck floor. I also was until I saw this stuff. I still used #8 bolts though!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Leg room! 67-72 Cabs

Well, the lower your seat the less the leg room. I know some guys like to sit low, but in my case (with stock bench seat) I put in a seat cushion to raise my position, then I use the heel of my foot to operate the clutch and brake. Still a little tight. I'm just 6' 1" (34" length jeans) and this helps the wear on my knee.
Your seats look a little too low for comfort. Raise them up.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Leg room! 67-72 Cabs

The seats where just installed and I had not yet set them for comfort! The pictures are to show people that the removal of the tank does nothing for them as far as leg room.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
Custom/Ten

I'm no rocket surgeon but wouldn't lowering the seat give less leg room and more head room? Wouldn't raising the seat give more leg room and less head room? Also those seats look great! I'm gonna add those to my junkyard list.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #6
PAWS 72

Andy, I've alway liked your truck. Now you;ve changed seats. Good looking.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Leg room! 67-72 Cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
Andy, I've alway liked your truck. Now you;ve changed seats. Good looking.
Thanks, I'm going to look at cutting that back panel to make it look like a custom job I hope with some help off the local board members.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
Fatherflash

I would strongly recommend against removing the panel immediately below the rear window simply because it appear to be a major structural piece. First and foremost, that piece appears to lock the rear window into its frame. Yes it does appear to be "overdone" structurally however, this panel appears to also lock the window in place in event of a rear end accident. Messing with this panel reduces the "force retention" of the window during a unfortunate event and could increase injuries i.e. the window rolling out of its frame under force during an accident and traveling forward. This panel also prevents distortion of the rear window frame. Yes it is a rolled structural panel however, messing with this panel reduces the structural control and increases flex, torsion roll which could over time result in increased window leaks, steel cracking and fatigue, possible window cracking.
If you are heart set on removing this panel then please, remove only what is behind the seats and then add a panel from this cross piece downward to the floor. Roll all cut metallic edges to minimize cracking which will happen due to torsional stresses applied. This is in my opinion the minimum structurally. This will help keep the window in place but is not ideal because it still allows flex and torsion.

Not trying to be a downer. Just work with structures everyday and believe this is not a good idea.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
I would strongly recommend against removing the panel immediately below the rear window simply because it appear to be a major structural piece. First and foremost, that piece appears to lock the rear window into its frame. Yes it does appear to be "overdone" structurally however, this panel appears to also lock the window in place in event of a rear end accident. Messing with this panel reduces the "force retention" of the window during a unfortunate event and could increase injuries i.e. the window rolling out of its frame under force during an accident and traveling forward. This panel also prevents distortion of the rear window frame. Yes it is a rolled structural panel however, messing with this panel reduces the structural control and increases flex, torsion roll which could over time result in increased window leaks, steel cracking and fatigue, possible window cracking.
If you are heart set on removing this panel then please, remove only what is behind the seats and then add a panel from this cross piece downward to the floor. Roll all cut metallic edges to minimize cracking which will happen due to torsional stresses applied. This is in my opinion the minimum structurally. This will help keep the window in place but is not ideal because it still allows flex and torsion.

Not trying to be a downer. Just work with structures everyday and believe this is not a good idea.
Yes dually noted and thought of this as well. If I do remove any of it it will be just enough to get the seats back further the center and outer parts will stay. As I stated I don't think it's worth the time and effort are the money to do this for no more room that you gain.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Yes dually noted and thought of this as well. If I do remove any of it it will be just enough to get the seats back further the center and outer parts will stay. As I stated I don't think it's worth the time and effort are the money to do this for no more room that you gain.
If you remove the tank and part of the panel you DO gain some room...

More here

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7051736
Attached Images

Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thanks man those pictures help a lot! I'm going to see what I can do with mine also. I don't think I will cut the whole panel out though just enough to get the seats back a little more.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 02-16-2015 at 08:19 PM.