The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2023, 12:47 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Fuel Supply Set-up Question

So getting ready to install all new fuel system in the project. But started thinking I might be over doing it. Current plan is to use the stock sending unit and pick up screen. Run the lines first into a billet 100 micron pre filter, then into a Walbro 255 pump and finally into a Wix 33737 "Corvette"filter/regulator.

My question is, since I am running the fuel thru the sending unit pick up screen (which is brand new) is the pre filter I am adding in line over kill? Is it really doing anything better than he sock filter, is it really needed?

Just trying to simplify the set up if possible.

Ptr-Filter I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XKFLXB...roduct_details
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Fuel Supply Set-up Question

Seems a bit overkill to me, but it can't hurt. Depends on the engine your feeding also. I just upgrade my 70 to a 31 gallon suburban tank. I have a inline filter from a 95 (maybe 94) before the pump and standard WIX #33033 metal filter before the carb.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #3
D-n-Tyke

Sorry forgot to add, this is supplying fuel to a fuel injected LS.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:12 PM   #4
truckster

I would simply ask, if you discover a fuel deliver problem, how many filters do you want to change? I assume you're going with fuel injection, since you're using a high pressure pump. Factory installations use a screen before the pump and a single filter before the injectors.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:40 PM   #5
LS short box

On all my LS swaps I used either the Walbro 255 internal or Bosch O44 external fuel pumps. C5 FFR on all my swaps. No extra filters and I've never had an issue. My 98 Wrangler with a LS6/4L60E combo has a 255 Walbro internal with a C5 FFR. I installed it 15 years ago and it's still going strong.
I've never killed a fuel pump or plugged an injector due to trash in the gas.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:39 PM   #6
PbFut

It will depend on tank condition, intended fuel and use. If you don't anticipate excessive sand or dirt or rust bits to be in the fuel than the screan is plenty protection for the pump. The need and size of the filter to protect the injectors is there, but it normally does not need to be very large. I ran a pretty normal sized filter on a 500hp ls on the race car. I cut it open at 400 hour rebuild and it looked brand new. It was circuit road race so not a lot of opportunity for contamination. If it was a desert sand rail I bet things would have looked way different.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:49 PM   #7
D-n-Tyke

So I am running the stock 1969 tank. Looked in there today and there was a small amount of crud in there, but fairly large sized pieces that I assume the pick up sock will catch. But I don't know how much small grit is in there, couldn't tell. Plan on driving it around town and filling up at normal gas stations, not out of desert jugs. I guess I am just wondering if the sock is enough to protect my inline pump.