The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
vintovka

Thumbs down Chinese Fender Surprise

Finally got out and washed the truck. For the first time i noticed that my chinese crapola pass side fender ( that shop talked me into) has a row of very visible spot welds along a front seam. Neither the seam or the spot welds appear on the original drivers right fender. I just noticed it as the horrible fit and hood gap had me completely distracted. Had i known what garbage these things are i would have spent the $ to have the orig pounded out. Bad decision. Who sold it? None other than the biggest one in CA. Will post pics when i calm down.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Chinese Fender Surprise

Unfortunately that seems to be a continuing theme with large replacement panels. It no doubt saves who knows how much money when they stamp the fender in more than one piece and weld it together. The poor fit is also a major issue.

I'd highly suggest taking any replacement panel to bare metal and working from bare metal out and not treating the factory coating as a base primer coat. I had that issue on my Ot daily driver and had to take it back to bare metal and start over. The car was wrecked and half repaired when I got it cheap but I have the feeling that it was wrecked and repaired before because some of the body panels on the side that wasn't hit don't fit well at all.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
vintovka

Agreed. Its really down to shop time to repair original OR the cost of the chinese crap part PLUS the shop time to make it look and fit right. As stated earlier on this forum i had to move the ENTIRE panel back nearly an inch, redrill all the holes and reinstall it. This after i paid the shop to install it in the first place. All in all about 200% more than fixing the original and settling for junk-- go figure.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Who sold it? None other than the biggest one in CA.
Forgive my ignorance, but what company would this be?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
dsraven

I have seen a rear cab panel that is made up of the major part from one panel and then whatever other patch panels they sell make up the rest of the panel. like the cab corners are a separate part and spot welded on.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
dsraven

like this, look closely at the cab corners and you will see the cab corners are spot welded in patch panels.
http://dynacorndepot.com/cab-rear-ou...y-pickup-55-59
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
like this, look closely at the cab corners and you will see the cab corners are spot welded in patch panels.
http://dynacorndepot.com/cab-rear-ou...y-pickup-55-59

exactly! Given the poor fit alone this chinese stuff is makes me run away much less spending time and $ to bondo over the welds and seams. Whole thing reminds me of a big company sending an original Brown Bess Musket over to asia for reproduction. The trigger guard got bent enroute and the asians copied the defect resulting in tens of thousands of reproduction muskets with "bent" guards. No time was spent in research or testing - just copy as and crank out.

FWIW My crapola fender came from Classic Industries and came with a couple of free dents as well -- $300 bucks and nearly $90 in shipping!!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
mick53

I guess I'm fortunate where I live and original parts aren't hard to find. There are still a lot of AD trucks around that just kinda got put out back or in the barn. You can get a nice fender for $100 and a dented one for $50. I bought an entire 54 3/4 ton for $300 a couple of years ago. I guess there are some advantages to living in the sticks.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I guess I'm fortunate where I live and original parts aren't hard to find. There are still a lot of AD trucks around that just kinda got put out back or in the barn. You can get a nice fender for $100 and a dented one for $50. I bought an entire 54 3/4 ton for $300 a couple of years ago. I guess there are some advantages to living in the sticks.
Here on the coast everything has rusted away and original parts are dear. Also competent repair shops have been decimated by legalized narcotics and both good work and advice are a scarce commodity. Some shops are over $125 an hour and claim insurance is the reason. As for complete trucks just look at prices on facebook or craigs list. heck even stripped frames are in demand.

FWIW Some may be amused by my pot rants but its really serious and all will be affected.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
Rickysnickers

Quote:
FWIW Some may be amused by my pot rants but its really serious and all will be affected.
Totally agree! Sorry to hear that the fender was so lousy.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #11
vintovka

Went for a drive today and stopped off at one of the shops i actually trust . They put up a new labor rate sign thats has whiteboard areas for rates. Just went to $135/hr from $125. Handwritten sign below says blame virus, pot and democrats!. Will take a pic when i bring phone next time. They did honor a quote from 3 months ago before all this s--t happened. Also had a little cartoon saying if youre wearing a mask your prolly gonna get shot!!

Last edited by vintovka; 07-01-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
mick53

Quote:
Went fo drive today and stopped off at one of the shops i actually trust . They put up a new labor rate sign thats has whiteboard areas for rates. Just went t0 $135/hr from $125. Handwritten sign below says blame virus, pot and democrats!. Will take a pic when i bring phone next time. They did honor a quote from 3 months ago before all this s--t happened. Also had a little cartoon saying if youre wearing a mask your prolly gonna get shot!!
Maybe that's why we have so many trucks here. Everybody just sits around stoned and looks at them and watches the corn grow. Don't even get me going on the shine. Damn corn.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #13
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
I think your pot rants are hilarious. But yeah, most of my week is spent correcting things that someone else has avoided, neglected, or just plain screwed up.

Quote:
Don't even get me going on the shine. Damn corn.
Isn't that where that damn ethanol comes from? Millions of train cars of that crap coming into this state daily. Try putting it in an airplane and see what happens...
Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #14
vintovka

Current events will no doubt increase all means of escaping reality (and responsibility)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #15
mick53

There's more than corn in Indiana, there's beans too.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
73kay

I just ordered a driver fender and bed sides from classic parts. Going to give them a whirl. I also compared to classic industries in CA and they have a disclaimer about the welded on parts. That scared me away. Classic parts has always been pretty good to deal with.

1953 3100 292 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I think your pot rants are hilarious. But yeah, most of my week is spent correcting things that someone else has avoided, neglected, or just plain screwed up.

Isn't that where that damn ethanol comes from? Millions of train cars of that crap coming into this state daily. Try putting it in an airplane and see what happens...
I build dry ice manufacturing plants nationwide for a living. We always put them next to ethanol plants. The fermentation puts off so much CO2 that we pipe it to the ice plant for production of the dry ice and ship it out in tankers. In the last 2 years they have closed down 2, 50 million dollar dry ice plants because the ethanol plants have closed down. Ethanol is on borrowed time. We are now building them next to ammonia plants.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:36 AM   #18
vintovka

Think a pothead china man made this one. The other is original.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2020, 12:38 AM   #19
vintovka

Unhappy Re: Chinese Fender Surprise

And per usual they are SIDEWAYS! but you get the idea.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #20
my56chevytruck

Quote:
There's more than corn in Indiana, there's beans too.
yep, we've got corn corn corn, and a few million cows here in Hoosierville.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #21
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
yep, we've got corn corn corn, and a few million cows here in Hoosierville.
Indiana Beach!!! (former born and bred Hoosier) Not to mention wheat.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote